PDA

View Full Version : how can I map this model?

actarus6
07-11-2002, 01:12 AM
I modeled her in one piece.
Is possible to unwrap the mesh and draw on it as reference in photoshop?
If yes how can I do I never did it.
I use 3dsmax
If someone Can help me
Pease

leigh
07-11-2002, 08:20 AM
Well, the quickest way to unwrap a head is to unwrap it cylindrically on the Y-axis :)

Once you have unwrapped it, the UV co-ordinates usually always have to be edited quite a bit, to get rid of overlapping polys - so that, when you paint onto it in Photoshop, you don't get odd little areas where the texture is messed up because it's projecting through overlapping parts.

When editing, it's advisible to unweld all the points on the mesh, so that you can move them around hassle-free within the UV co-ordinates. Just remember to re-weld them when you're finished!

Once you are happy with the template, take it into Photoshop and start painting!

actarus6
07-11-2002, 09:02 AM
I've seen in this section of the forum your msgs you know very well the mapping.I have thought that only you could help me
And here you are

Thanks I'll try i'll have problems I'm new of strange texturing mapping and unwrap too.

What do you think about the model?

Bye and thanks from Stefano -Italy-

kandyman
07-11-2002, 11:59 AM
put an edit mesh modifier on your model and split the head at the back right up to the top.

put a relax modifier on your mesh and relax it to the point where you can still see the features, but you don't have any overlap in critical regions.

maybe add a mesh select or edit mesh for areas like ears with a soft selection and add another relax to flatten those areas too.

add cylindrical mapping

add UVW unwrap, this locks the UVs.

disable all relax modifiers, then collapse all.

weld the vertices on the back of the head back together.

you can now add another UVW unwrap and edit the coords, maybe soft-select scale so that the front of the head uses more mapping space than the back.

Then, get the free texporter plugin and use it to make a mesh render to use as background in photoshop.

Hope this helps!

-marin

underdog
07-11-2002, 12:15 PM
I've found the easiest way for me is to do a series of planar projections. Like top front sides etc. Then sew them together in hte texture editor. I haven't really used max's uv editor but I assume its has some sort of relax function, useful for getting rid of overlapping uv's around the nose and ears.

leigh
07-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Yeah underdog, thats exactly how I do mine too :p
It's just that for someone who is new to unwrapping, I think stitching UVs to avoid seams might be a bit much, which is why I would recommend a UV newbie to stick to cylindrical projections for the time being....

Viper
07-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Yo mate!

You can also use a little program called Texporter! It renders your mesh already flatened in any resolution you want :)

Get it here: www.maxplugins.de

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.