PDA

View Full Version : A noob needs a mater's guidance

mr.children
04-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Hello, everyone, as you can tell, this is my first thread. It means, I am a total noob to Maya modelling. Ok, cut my crap short, I just did a practice model of a subway. It does not have much detail, but the station above the ground, a few stairs and the platform of the station. Most of the objects are made of polygons, which is the only thing i know how to use so far.

The problem is that the Maya file, so far, is like 2.3MB. My friend told me that is incredibly large for your subway exercise. So, I am just wondering, if anyone can show me a model and tell me how many polygons included in there? or how should I reduce my polygons in the future if possible.

mr.children
04-12-2004, 09:16 AM
I have not got any replies...I guess I didn't make myself clear?:shrug:

Jb5k1
04-12-2004, 02:19 PM
i'm questioning if ur friend knows what he's talking about?

i don't see a reason for a model to have a certain file size.

tell your friend to leave your file sizes alone

StephanD
04-12-2004, 02:24 PM
From what I've experimented of various softwares,as soon as you add something like Materials,Texture/UV information,Animations,more polygon the file will increase in size...And yes,it is important depending on what and where you work.

I would personally say you should pay attention never to let/add unnecessary data to a scene.It's part of showing your efficiency and consideration towards your work.

Jb5k1
04-13-2004, 09:07 PM
what i was saying is that if its just a first model and like a testing environment type thing then it really doesn't matter cause its just for getting the feel for working with the software, not developing a good workflow

silverflaime
04-13-2004, 10:43 PM
When it comes to file size, the bigger the file, the longer it takes to open the file, and the slower working with it becomes. The only times my files get that big is when I start rigging, and using influence objects, wraps, etc. Even texturing doesn't seem to effect it much. Typically, a file with textures, models, and lights never get over a few hundred KB. If you find your file is really slow to work with, even though your geometry isn't that dense, you should probably delete your history on anything that doesn't need it. But if it isn't affecting your workflow, it really doesn't matter

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.