PDA

View Full Version : Modeling SHORT hair

silverflaime
04-09-2004, 07:23 PM
I have been searching high and low for a way to do short hair in polys. But all I can find is long hair. I'm looking for a way of doing it, with relatively realistic results (holy alliteration batman). If anyone has any suggestions, that would help me out immensely. Thanks y'all!

gerardo
04-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Donīt forget to mention what software you use.

silverflaime
04-10-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm using Maya 5, but I'm just trying to model it with poly's, and modeling is pretty basic across most apps, so it doesn't really matter. I can figure the texturing out no problem. I was thinking about using planes, maybe, that might look more natural. I am going for a sort of messy look, or anything where the hair stands up, rather than laying flat. I can't believe that I'm the only person to attempt to make hair for a guy!

gerardo
04-10-2004, 11:42 PM
You maybe right (mainly if we talk about the polygonal method), I didn't think it this way because I use Lightwave for example, and there are several ways of making this in the soft, (but most with plug-ins).
I think that the best (polygonal method) would be to make hair by hair (is not a joke) with a commercial plug called Random Cloner:
http://www.polas.net/plugins/cloner.html
The advantage of this plug (Perhaps Maya can make it) is that puts clones in the model's surface, not only in points positions, also uses weightmaps to manage the density of the clones. If Maya can to do this, you can only make some hair for certain specific areas and to make many clones along the surface of your model's head, like you can see in the examples of the website.
Another form of making it polygonally, is with plane polygons superimposed by way of strands with transparency maps (or clipmaps in LW) something like that:
http://www.menithings.com/manual/Tilt_Hair_01.php?action=how
The other way is with volumetric plug-ins like Shave & Haircut of Joe Alter (Maya) or Sasquatch (in LW)
S&H:
http://www.joealter.com/

Hope this helps,

Gerardo

silverflaime
04-13-2004, 09:30 PM
gerardo,

OK, i appreciate the suggestions. I might give that a try, but I will still be looking for the "meat and potatoes" way of doing this. I figure I will do some trial and error attempts if I can't find anything else. But I will definitely try what you recommended as well. Who knows? Maybe I'll just make my own gosh darn tutorial. Thanks.

gerardo
04-14-2004, 05:03 AM
It sounds interesting, if you make it, please don't forget to share it :)

Best Regards

Gerardo

silverflaime
04-14-2004, 08:28 AM
For sure, and thanks for your help, there's always the end goal, but a million ways of getting there I suppose, and to him his own way, or her. I plan on posting my head if I can figure out why I can't add attachments, but that is for another forum, and another day.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.