PDA

View Full Version : Need Assistance from the Max Gurus

Cynical_Saint
04-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Hey guys.

I am working on a game modification project and have hit a small snag. It deals with damaged game models for cars.

The way this engine works, is when the model rcvs the slightest amount of damage, it switches to a "damage" mesh. Which at first is supposed to look exactly like the non-damaged, and then it has region morph depending on where you damage it.

Problem is this: For the Damaged models, I must detach faces and break verts to allow "Cracking" of the fenders and other body panels. However, when I break the verts, Max automatically assigns new Normals thus messing up the smoothing of the mesh.

Is there any way to "Lock" the normals in place prior to breaking the verts, or if not, is there a way to manually edit normals?

I need the normals to stay the same even after I edit mesh and break some of the verts apart.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

TIA

Michael

Stroker
04-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I hear Max 6 has an Edit Normal modifier.
If you have it, I'm sure it will work dandy.

Cynical_Saint
04-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah I tested that out and it *seems* as tho it would do what I need it to do. However, when I collapse the mesh, the normals get reset. :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.