PDA

View Full Version : rendering: jagged edges

Elrod
04-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi there,

I've got a rendering problem with maya. I'm rendering for broadcast, using 50 fps, and interlacing in after effects. This is to counter the effects of jittering lines when rendering in fields. Even so the overall looks is good, but I'm still having problems with small elements in my renders. They'res still a jagged effect. (see image)

This is only part of a frame rendered at 1024x614 (never mind the strange resolution)
In the image I see the small lines turning into jagged edges...
It may seem like a small detail, but it looks really bad when previewed on a monitor.
Any suggestions, are more then welcome...

westiemad
04-08-2004, 04:34 PM
have you turned up your anti aliasing, or is that a texture on the model? and if so what is the textures resolution?

AnDy

Elrod
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
AA is set at "highest quality" "box-filter 2.5", and it's not a texture its all poly's you see, but when I replace them with a texture of about 2048x2048, there's still the same effect.

alivegy
04-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm assuming you're using the maya renderer, have you tried turning the shading samples up on that one object that's causing the problems?

anilec333
04-08-2004, 06:29 PM
the suitable of filterS : guass 2.0 2.0
box 1 1
triangle 2 2
if the number is too high.....u image will
become more blur.........

anti lias ... jitter will make u image more pleasing to eye

lazzhar
04-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Elrod
This is to counter the effects of jittering lines when rendering in fields.

I guess nobody is rendering to fields these days. I'd render regular frames then add the fields in afterfx.
Try to post another rendering without fields.
Hope this helps.

XanderFX
04-09-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure what purpose rendering to fields will serve. I do a lot of work for TV (NTSC) I just render everything at 30 fps and then composite in AFX and remove the interlacing from the video image. Have you tried just outputting at the standard PAL frame rate and checking it there? Are you also checking a final rendered and uncompressed AFX composition on you external monitor? Are all of your fields set properly odd or even?

cheers!

robin
04-10-2004, 06:43 PM
I had the same problem latelly Maya really has an issue with Anti-Aliasing.

Specialy when you have a tight deadline

Elrod
04-12-2004, 03:22 PM
alivegy:
I'll try that when I'm back at work

lazzhar:
The image is non-field

XanderFX:
I've rendered the sequence at 50 fps, but the jagies are still there

robin:
This was for a tight deadline at my new job, and they weren't pleased

Thanx everyone for your reply, I'll keep you posted as more deadlines come my way..

Elrod
04-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I've tried rendering in Mental Ray, and this is the result.
The lines work fine, but in the back, they break up...
This really s*cks.....

Bonedaddy
04-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Something I've done in the past to avoid this is render out at a higher resolution, then downsize it later. I ended up having to do that a lot with fur, that stuff aliases like crazy.

victor
04-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Either turn up the min samples or turn down the sampling contrast threshold (that's what decides whether to use the min or max samples). These settings are there for both Maya and MR.

It depends on the scene, but the contrast setting will usually have less of an impact on render times.

Elrod
04-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Well Finally got rid of the jaggies, and rendering crisp clear sharp images (see attachment), just the way I wanted. So I've rendered a sequence, at 0.5 framestep, imported into After Effects at 50 fps. Rendered a Quicktime (upperfields first, animation compression) and ported it to the Avid. Result: Crappy jagged edges again. I've tried all settings in from stretching the sequence to frame blending, but it keeps being crap......
I'm getting frustrated here..
Any comments are welcome.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.