PDA

View Full Version : 4 d beginner

han_nomad
04-08-2004, 08:27 AM
hi all, :wavey:

i'm very beginner on cg field, but i like cg a lot. :cry:
currently, i also study the cg subject using openGL on C++.
i hope i can learn a lot from all of you.

i want to ask several questions:
1. based on your experience, what kind of method is best to start in the cg fields, eg: should i start with C++ or 3D Graphics tools?
2. i see a lot of software that u all use to create 3D graphic, like 3DStudioMax, Maya, etc. Since i've never use these software, can anyone tell me when is best to use what?

thanx 4 d concern. :thumbsup:

biggy
04-08-2004, 11:29 AM
just investigate anything that interests you. that'll keep you motivated to learn more and you'll enjoy it. :wavey:

Halma
04-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Well, do you know what you want to end up being able to do?

Many CG artists don't know how to program.. It really depends on what you want to end up doing..

About which software to use, this is a topic that is a little taboo, since it's usually discussed (and argued over) too much...

djwarder
04-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Aha!! Depends what industry and job you want to go into?

Film/tv : coding -> C++/scripting/Renderman
: art/animation -> Maya, Houdini?

Games : coding -> C/C++/DirectX
: art/animation -> 3dsMax, Softimage?

Plus, OpenGL is good to know for both!!

Hope that helps?

Dan

han_nomad
04-12-2004, 06:48 AM
hmm wagata :D

djwarder
04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Huh? :surprised

sadwind
04-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi man, i'm a little bit new in CG field(s) too...

Here is my story, I study progrmming since 2 years ago, i've passed through VB6, Python, ASP, C. When i discovered GNU/LINUX i stooped with all i was studying in window$ platform for programming. These languages i was stufying on window$ so NOW i'm fucusing my target to GNU/LINUX platform, at truth i'm studying ANSI C in GNU/LINUX. I used FireWorks a lot, now for CG i'm studying a lot Photoshop and 3dS Max by myself. I got some frieds who help me out a lot, and now i'm here resourcing a lot.

What i have to tell about is this...Discover what you like to do, test a lot of things, and you'll have some idea to start studyng.

I want a job which I can work with C/C++ and 3D ... so i'm listenning to everyone who wants to give me some idea on what to do... I was thinking about doing PLUGINS...hehehe.....it might be cool!!

See ya men!!

han_nomad
04-14-2004, 07:05 AM
i mean i got it :D

actually, my very first interest is on making games, but i also eager to create an animation. that was when i saw the ffviii movie clip.

:hmm: hmm... maybe i have another question.
i've tried some coding to create the 3d shapes by using those glBegin(...); ... glEnd();. But they look worse than those movie. those movie have a super smooth edge.
question is, can we create those smooth edge using the coding only? if yes, how do you make it possible?
my current opinion is that, those can only be achieved by using 3D software. tell me if i'm wrong.

well... :shrug:

djwarder
04-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Oh, ok.:thumbsup:

Not too sure what you what to achieve. If you want movie-quality 3d models in real-time (i.e for playback in a game rather than as an animation) then if could be hard to get that super smooth edge.

I'm not sure how technical you are, but movie/tv models are made in 3d packages that use NURBS and subdivision surfaces rather than low poly modelling to make very detailed models. However, these models are too high resolution for games and would be very slow to render.

One idea might be to use VDPM (View Dependent Progressive Meshes) which, depending on which part of the model you're looking at, makes the noticeable bits high-res and the non-noticeable bits low res, if that makes sense? Might find some info at this site (http://research.microsoft.com/~hhoppe/)

Sorry if that's a bit vague or non-helpful. Could chat more if you had some more specific questions?

Dan

han_nomad
04-15-2004, 07:23 AM
i like to learn something new, so it just nice. don't worry.

emm, i have read about the subdivision before but not sure whether we are talking about the same topic or not. the one that i studied is about making a sphere-like by subdivide the triangles until they reach their limit (from simple triangle polygon to 3d sphere). thus the coding make me headache, i'm just weak on those maths algorithms. maybe the idea are the same.

and frankly speaking, i don't understand about NURBS.

btw, thanks for the links. it will take quite some times for me to read through and download the things. actually, i'm quite busy with other subjects that i'm taking this sem too. but i will do it no matter how.

thanx a lot. i will post some again if i'm stuck.

lhq

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.