PDA

View Full Version : Connect multiple lights to dielectric shader?

og_reborn
04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi, I hope this isn't obvious...but I can't make it work...

I would like to input more than one light to the dielectric shader in my scene. It won't let me, though. Every time I connect one, it disconnects another.
Can this be done, or is there a better shader to be using to simulate caustics and color-density type stuff?

thanks a ton:beer:

Emmortal1
04-07-2004, 10:30 PM
You can do this through MEL

connectAttr -f spotLightShape1.message dielectric_material1.lights[0];

connectAttr -f spotLightShape2.message dielectric_material1.lights[1];

connectAttr -f spotLightShape3.message dielectric_material1.lights[2];

So on and so forth.

og_reborn
04-07-2004, 10:50 PM
great, thanks a bunch...
I'm not too familiar with mel...I didn't realize that you could change those bracketed numbers. (when I make the connection to lights[0] in the connection editor, about 50 or so "lights[1]" appear in the list. But it would never let me connect a light to any of them.)

thanks again!

Jozvex
04-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi,

To make life a whole lot easier when working with MR shaders. There's a script that adds a light linking box to the Attribute Editor for the most common MR shaders.

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?section=rendering#2589

It's really nice!

og_reborn
04-08-2004, 01:33 AM
hey thanks for the link:beer:

p.s. I really like your tutorials. They've been really helpful to me, I appreciate the effort you've gone to and I can't wait to see the other ones when you finish them.:D

Jozvex
04-08-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks!

At the moment I'm trying to come up with a way better format for my site. Something more fancy and professional. The only thing is I don't really want to spend anymore money for things like Flash or a web design application.

I'm trying try to come up with something cool using only:

Maya
Photoshop/Imageready CS
Quicktime Pro
And a text editor for html!

Hehe, I think I'll get there eventually.

:surprised

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.