PDA

View Full Version : Limiting vertice attributes?

Levitateme
04-07-2004, 12:09 PM
My friend is trying to make a virtual mirror script for maya. he said that he has no idea how to limit the attributes for the vertices that would be on the Y axis. the vertices should only move in Y and Z when they are resting on the Y axis, that way the "seam" does not break. anyone have any idea so i can tell my friend and maybe get a virtual mirror for maya users?

mark_wilkins
04-07-2004, 06:41 PM
I'd have to know what exactly his script is doing to be able to recommend a solution to this problem.

-- Mark

Marcel
04-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Does your friend know that there is already a very extensive 'virtual mirror' script available for Maya?

http://www.lightstorm3d.com/download/html_en/cps.htm

Levitateme
04-09-2004, 02:28 PM
thanks marcel, i have tried cps long ago. i never saw this though. thanks again.

Levitateme
04-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey marcel, i tried that out but it still splits the vertices apart...ill just see if my friend can come up with something. thanks.

wrend
04-09-2004, 03:13 PM
you can lock the desired translate-axis of the components by expression/conxn with constant value. but there is a quirk with the [0]th id of poly meshes, which doesnt respect the constraining upon manipulation, like the rest do (but it will snap back on frame/value change). anybody know why this might be the case?

in 5.0, constraining just one axis of a nurbs CV now seems to make the interface consider all axes locked, and you cant shift it in the free axes :(

what we really want is for the interface to respect vanilla attribute locking of singular component translate channel s (via setAttr -lock 1 obj.point[#].yv, or channelBox), and not lock the parent/sibblings too! (like what happens with expression on CVs, but not verts)

this is only of value if the mirror plane is ortho to object axes, which it usually would be. if you want an action based, rather than this persistant, interactive constraining, use something like the mentioned CPS, which is more than fine!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.