PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard animation

Jameslsy
04-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Gurus! I would like to know how Blizzard do the starting intro screen of every game. Where the light shines from behind? Do you use After Effects or 3D programs to do it? Please someone enlighten me on executing it, I'm curious!

titaniumdave
04-07-2004, 05:53 PM
I haven't played any blizzard games in a long time so I'm going to guess. Is it a animation of their logo? If its just where a light shines behind the logo you can just do that with a light in your 3d app.

Jameslsy
04-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Alright guess I wasn't clear enough.

You know those effects like where you got words in front and a light shines across the words. I want to know how to do that.

If I'm not wrong www.rayoflight.com has got a flash animation of it.

Jameslsy
04-10-2004, 05:52 AM
Nobody reads this section or something? Impossible nobody knows about it right?

skunk184
04-10-2004, 12:08 PM
I just looked at your your link ,didnt see any flash animation, I hav nt seen the blizzard thing either and your description certainly was nt clear to me .... however it sounds like you are talking about a shadow casting volume light ... and then no doubt they have played with it in post production after ..... just search for something on volume up volume lights

hope that helps

Craig

DracoNB
04-11-2004, 09:13 AM
I think this is the animation for Ray of Light that he is talking about:

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Special_Effects/Ray_of_L-Mark_Fen-1/index.php

You'll have to click their logo that loads in the center of the screen to see the animation.

phoenix2k
04-11-2004, 08:43 PM
well, this is just a guess, but i would do it using a 3d program with a moving light and volumetrics, dunno how blizzard does it thou =)

kevinw
04-16-2004, 06:20 AM
Well, After Effects 6 has a plugin that does that effect to text. It can be done in 3d with volume lights too but After fX is faster. I've not seen the Blizzard effect though so I may not be talking about the same thing.

DracoNB
04-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Anyone have some tips on how this could be done in 3ds Max? I've been trying to do it but its not working.

Also, is there a way for the light to emit FROM the letters and not from behind them?

Gatling
04-17-2004, 01:19 AM
Theoretically (and possibly Practically):

Make a thin plane and boolean the shape of the logo out of it to create a "stencil", then simply animate a volumetric light behind the plane. The volumetric will appear to be coming through from the letters, because the stencil would block its rays from coming through in other areas.

Don't forget to put some color behind the logo, and to stop the stencil from being lit.

DracoNB
04-17-2004, 09:36 AM
I've done what you said, but my volume light seems to pass through all objects in my scene (good except for the fact that it passes through my stencil also). Anyone know what is causing this? :shrug:

FLX
04-20-2004, 12:28 PM
maybe shadows are not turend on (ray traced both on the light and in the render globals). maybe, like gatling said, you have not unlinked the logo from the volume light.
still... do it in after fx or some other post program.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.