PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield (eidos), Xavier Marquis (3D)

xavier-marquis
04-06-2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/31071/battlefield_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/31071/battlefield.jpg)

Pictures realised with Maya for a promotion about a videogame : Shellshock Nam'67 (Guerrilla Games / Eidos - 2004)

I havé 8 pictures in high res for this game. Only 2 are free for diffusion by myself.

Little addon quickly insert
This pic was construct like an icon
http://www.xavier-marquis.com/g/56.jpg

Content diffused with the authorisation from EIDOS and Guerrilla Games

Pjanssen
04-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Wow, that looks really great !
Do you have an animation too ?

The only thing that I see that looks a bit strange are the heli's, they seem to fly in quite a strange angle, even when you think that they are about to land...

Kood
04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Very nice!

Yea, top 2 heli's I'd expect leaning forward, or if leaning backward... be closer to the ground like the other one.

Either way, very nice, I doubt you'd get authorisation to post a wire, but would be good to see what was touched up and what wasn't.

hercanic
04-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Dear Xavier Marquis:
Great stuff. The foreground bush, though, feels like an obstruction. Although your eyes are not directly drawn to it, the bush flusters the focal point. With this competition, it's calling attention to it, and when that attention is given, the bush looks 3D and slightly fake under scrutiny. There's a painterly feel to the piece, and the bush doesn't give that, thus it sticks out and and seems fake and out of place. It wouldn't be too noticable if it was more off to the side. Overall, awesome work.

Sas.hun
04-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Woow!

Very Nice Work! :thumbsup: Congrat! :beer:

Gojira
04-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Very nice.
Is not my favorite of your work on this videogame, one other who looks like watercolour is very impressive.

Who many time for this images?

bobabert
04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
very nice scene,I love the lighting!!
beau boulot mec!!!:bowdown:

DoctorStopMo
04-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Great work! :buttrock:

ahimsa
04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Great lightning and effects! Everything is really good! :applause:
I like the crucifixion illustration too!
Just : :bowdown:

BartokDesign
04-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Ouch , great stuff u have , I would like to check the wires
as always:buttrock:

DAREONER
04-06-2004, 07:37 PM
ca y est tu les as poster c'est vraimment vraimment vraimment de la grosse bombe, la j'ai rien a redire je suis admiratif, c'est un pur travail.
les explosions au fond sont en 2d ? va falloir que tu poste quelques trucs explicatifs.

ton meilleur travail (et de loin) a mon sens.:buttrock: :buttrock:
faut poster le deuxieme....

JuliusB
04-06-2004, 07:37 PM
nice work!

but it seems that the heli's flying backward

ken0
04-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Amazing woek out there...

I agree about the heli's position...other than that > Just Perfect..:thumbsup:

lanedaughtry
04-06-2004, 08:09 PM
For the record...

Lots of pilots kept the nose up on low, fast set downs. That way enemies on the ground in front of them had a smaller window of oppurtunity to shoot them as they were landing in hot zones.

And the pic looks great. I love the action and viewers angle. Very unsettling.

-L

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
04-06-2004, 08:14 PM
IT ROCKS...:surprised

Autarkis
04-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Vraiment magnifique! Je suis d'accord avec les helico et la plante ... mais si beau!

J'adore encore plus celle que tu a sur ton site (le soldat crucifie dans la jungle)

Tu est mon maitre :bowdown: ;)

swarding
04-06-2004, 08:48 PM
that's amazing, almost unbelievable. The explosion is perfect, especially considering explosions are easier to pull off when they're animated because the sheer movement can cover a lot of mistakes. Having still shot of an explosion is more difficult, but this one is so well done. :thumbsup:

tyio
04-06-2004, 08:55 PM
arf, encore un truc qui tue tout :applause:

boboroshi
04-06-2004, 09:00 PM
:eek:

Wow. I need to go practice.

jalingo
04-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Very nice work. Crucifixion is just wonderfully violent/painfull - although maybe he needs to be a bit more bloody/beat up looking. Can't wait to see an animation (if there is one :) )

drewantarctic
04-06-2004, 09:12 PM
I wonder if you realize that you are making money off a generations tragedy and possibly jading younger players to the reality of war. i hope one day there will be no more war for you people to exploit for the sake of making money for yourselves. its a sickening consequence of art with capitalistic intention, as is most video gaming production.

But then again, maybe the United States should continue to wage war across the globe. It would sure bring in a lot of money to the gaming industry and really help the CG Market and economy.

as for the picture, it looks very refined.

Orkman
04-06-2004, 09:21 PM
My only comment/question is does the CH-46/47 have retractable landing gear? I have always seen the gear down in photos. Just a thought.

Brilliant piece of work. Lots of power in the imagery.

sarfarazsoomro
04-06-2004, 09:22 PM
hello,

pretty awesomw final renders,...

XLNT-3d
04-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Would Chinooks be coming into hot LZs? Wouldn't you think if they where going to kill a man had post him on a stick, they would strip him of his supplies? The second image is a bit distasteful for the sake of entertainment. However, the world is violent and it is best to desensitize our kids of the horror.

Originally posted by drewantarctic
But then again, maybe the United States should continue to wage war across the globe. It would sure bring in a lot of money to the gaming industry and really help the CG Market and economy.

That's why we have to make sure ding dong stays President! T-shirt screen printers are all about it

http://www.streetartusa.com/images/BC4.gif
I didn't [img] it because it might be inappropriate for this forum

NATEMO
04-06-2004, 09:26 PM
drewantarctic

I really dont think the US is making any good change CG Market and economy for the good by continue to wage war across the globe as you say... drewantarctic

Think about your post..

Yes war is pretty nasty thing.

you know drewantarctic maybe we are teaching people somthing...
not that war is fun .. but rather how it took place and how it was a tragedy!

Awesome picture!
PEACE :thumbsup:

chrisWhite
04-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Really fantastic work, the lighting and the vegetation really stand out as being exceptional. As for the content, it's a bit on the violent side for my tastes, especially the second one, but that doesn't detract from the shear technical and artistic excellence of the images. Well, done!

I to would love to see wires, if possible!

cris castro
04-06-2004, 09:34 PM
you only used maya??the background was put in maya so,must be a little bit of photoshop,isn't it?

baby
04-06-2004, 09:37 PM
:bowdown:

Garma
04-06-2004, 09:57 PM
extremely cool :thumbsup: saw these this afternoon, it was just waiting to be plugged. It's not completely like your other works.

it rocks.

ODIN_6
04-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Really nice man... Great composition

I really like the Chinooks!!!!:beer:

lukx
04-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Grate piece of work! :bowdown:

Joebount
04-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Tranquillou ! :buttrock:
Like Dare, I'd love to know more about the explosions in the first picture :thumbsup:

elnady
04-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Fantastic job:bounce:
And yes the heil looks strange:hmm:

johngloid
04-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Yes, it is kinda interesting how the majority of the comments are about the TECHNICAL aspects of the work, when what I think should be viewed as well is the CONTENT itself.

Compared to other games out at this time with animated violence and similar subject matter...this game looks TASTELESS, especially from the second image. For some of us it hits too close to home. I never thought seeing suffering in a game would sell, but I hope I am not proven wrong.

Virum
04-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by johngloid
Yes, it is kinda interesting how the majority of the comments are about the TECHNICAL aspects of the work, when what I think should be viewed as well is the CONTENT itself.

Compared to other games out at this time with animated violence and similar subject matter...this game looks TASTELESS, especially from the second image. For some of us it hits too close to home. I never thought seeing suffering in a game would sell, but I hope I am not proven wrong.

So your saying that you want us, the young generation to forget what you, the previous generation (or your fathers) went through in Vietnam?

If that's how you want it.

HapZungLam
04-06-2004, 10:44 PM
how do you make the jungle scene. you modeled all kinds of plants? or you have some jungle engine thing to generate it?

Kel Solaar
04-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Wooooooaww :) Sacré boulot Xavier, c vraiment très beau. J'adore le dynamisme de la première. Et la deuxième fait passer beaucoup d'émotion. J'imagine qu'il ya a pas mal de compositing, enfin c très bien maitrisé en tout cas. Beau taff!!

Finkster
04-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Obviously a very finely crafted piece of work by a skillful artist. Technical quibbles such as the angle of the aircraft are pretty irrelevent as far as I can tell.
There's nothing wrong with art depicting violence, death and human suffering. This of course has been one of the historical roles of the artist. The problem may arise with the context in which the art is presented, particularly as part of an explicitly commercial endeavour. Is this simply eye-candy to help sell a video game? Will the images help explain why these people were put into such situations and why so many millions were killed in that war? Or will they simply set the scene for blasting some "gooks"?
My money would safely be on the latter. It's a video game here we shouldn't have any lofty expectations of it. If you have a problem with the way the video game industry entertains us with such violence then don't hold this fine artist responsible. This is hardly anything new, don't jump on the guy. Rather, the problem exists with the state of the entertainment industry and the way in which they make use of such excellent artistic talent, for our money and apperently for our gratification.
I wonder would people find the above image distasteful if the pictured fugure was Vietnamese, the "enemy".

Anyway, excellent composition and rendering here :thumbsup:

Wootly
04-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Would you like him to be untrue to the Vietnamese War? Perhaps modeling a few Viet Cong and American troops sitting at a table, sipping tea and talking about last nights mets game? Get real, Vietnam was an ugly war and it should be represented as such.

You act like its a unspeakable sin to use Violence to sell stuff. Its nothing new, and it won't change. Why? the simple truth is it sells, its effective and no one wants to see an NVA reading the paper on the john with lillies in his helmet. Don't jump on the guy for trying to do his job which, in this case, was to show others doing theirs.

Only problems I have with the images is the historical accuracy of it all, which has been stated previously.

A) Chinook wouldn't be landing in a hot LZ, for any reason, and its even less credible to make 3-4 landing in one. Put 1-2 slicks in there, though and it might work.

B) the Heli angle

C) the equipment being left on the soldier

and E) Why would they plant pungi sticks underneath him? doesn't make much sense.

drewantarctic
04-06-2004, 11:28 PM
My only qualm is this

YOU ARE MAKING MONEY OFF OF THE TRAGEDY OF VIETNAM.

Now, had this money gone to a relief fund or donated accodingly, I would not be posting here. But the fact that thousands of humans died is being used to make somone rich. that sickens me, as it should all of you.

you have a right to produce the game, granted, its allowed under a constitution. But ethics should be considered, though it is not regularly with reference to gaming.

Finkster
04-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by drewantarctic
But the fact that thousands of humans died is being used to make somone rich. that sickens me, as it should all of you.

Just thought I should say that there were several million killed in Vietnam and the related conflicts. Whether that makes a difference, I'll let you decide.
Still, jumping on this artist is unfair. If you have an issue it should be with the exploitative nature of commercial art.

As a wise man once said, "Don't hate the playa. Hate the game"

HieSpike
04-07-2004, 12:03 AM
How about some wireframes? Or more info about how the images were created.

peace

xavier-marquis
04-07-2004, 12:16 AM
WOW.. a lot of posts.

I'm trying to answer to the maximum.

First point (technically) : All the composition is in 3D, plants also and typical to the vietnam, only the differents background are composed with 2 mattepaints. I would like post some wireframes i must just check with Guerrilla if it's ok.

Second point : about the military precision. I'm not a great fan of weapon or military vehicule etc. All my apologie for the pro military if I make a lot of error. I composed much for the style than for for the perfect realism.
For me an M60 or antoher gun, anyway the result is the same.
I have received a nice email from a military guy for a precision about the Chinook. it's promised Tony, the next time I respect the system gear on the CH47 ;)

Third point : About the ethics and the game. The violence in the game : the main problem. I'm not here to justify if the violence is legitim or not in a game content. I would like just precise something. I have signed to realise this pic and i'm absoluetely responsable of his content. For me it was a chance to illustrate my vision about the pain, about the mad side of this war. Maybe a hard subject with a lot of controverse, a lot of problem but i prefer take a risk and try to illustrate my point of view. Certainly not perfect but I try.

I can also understand the different problem cause by some specific idea with different nation or ethnie and I respect the people against this kind of art. it's a right.

Just to finish, please don't use this thread for a political reason. I respect the different opinions but cgtalk is a professionnal board and specially dedicate to the cgart. I'm not here to make a free provocation, i'm here to shared my vision as artist.

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH !!!! sincerely

siftingsand
04-07-2004, 12:30 AM
nice work.... great detail

jscheel
04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Technical:
Some wireframes would be great! One thing though, the soldiers look very similar (minus the packs), like they are just slightly altered copies. Also, I would think that the downdrafts from the helocopters would push the smoke out slightly.

Content:
I could be wrong, but I would assume that the Vietnamese would take his equipment before lighting the l fire at the base of the soldier's cross. It looks this way in the picture (his pockets don't look like they have anything in them). Also, it surprises me that so many people are objecting to the images' content. I never heard any objections to movies of American soldiers in Medal of Honor blasting Nazi troops (for example), or any objections to the countless other capital ventures that focus on war. I myself have never been in battle, but I would think that a game like this gives people like me the opportunity to begin developing some concept of what it was like, without having to ask any of my friends who were there to relive their own personal horrors.

Overall:
Great images! I really love your depiction of something I am glad I have never seen in person.

hillborne
04-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Very nice shot and feeling portrayed. Good job! I'd love to play this game.
As far as ethics, videogames/entertainment, and violence are concerned... it's at the root level of human nature. It will appear in the most sophisticated societies (Roman Empire & colloseum, U.S. & games/movies, Japan & anime, etc) and it will appear in the most primitive (human sacrifices & religion). Enjoyment of violence is as 'natural' as enjoyment of procreation & eating to the thinking being known as Homo Sapiens. Maybe as we take control of our evolution, and if given enough time, we can cut out all the 'bad' genes that cause 'bad' behavior so we will all be smiling, happy cows in the future. Until then, realize that billions of humans are entertained by love and violence, benevolence and malevolence. If you accept human nature you will be a 'happier' human.

Benton
04-07-2004, 01:35 AM
the FX is very good, do you have a animation?

elvischew
04-07-2004, 01:41 AM
i like it very much... this is nice and fantastic work!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

danielkenobi
04-07-2004, 01:47 AM
Great Work, we should learn from you.
Are the plants paint efects? and the grass??
Can you show the background image?
How about a wire frame even from a diferent perspective to see how you put al this together
Its a great piece of art. :bowdown:

facial
04-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Really great job, :buttrock:

Dreamy Kid
04-07-2004, 02:16 AM
what a piece of art xavier....i always love your works. anyway, i saw your interview in cgchannel.com. congrats :thumbsup:

greekdish
04-07-2004, 04:52 AM
Also, it surprises me that so many people are objecting to the images' content. I never heard any objections to movies of American soldiers in Medal of Honor blasting Nazi troops (for example), or any objections to the countless other capital ventures that focus on war

The main difference between MOHAA and BF1942 and other games is that they never showed the "cruelties" of war. They made it generic, as if you were watching a 1955 WWII based Audie Murphy movie. They never showed headless Nazi's, they never showed concentration camps full of Jews, they never showed body parts or limbless soldiers. They showed tanks blowing up. They showed airplanes blowing up. Showing a soldier crucified on bamboo in tasteless.....showing EMOTION in a video game, one side or another, is tasteless. Yes, I know we are talking about symantics here...but the other video game companies have refrained from the "real"violence....the worst I see in BF and MOHAA are bodies flying in the air, flailing....but you dont see limbless bodies, or heads flying around, or pools of blood. There is a certain limit and class a company should use for war based games. The GI being crucified on bamboo is too personal IMO....yes, its the artists right to create what he or she wants....but that artist has to also be willing to accept criticisms, good or bad.

Why not just show headless babies or babie's bodies burning?

moviejunkie101
04-07-2004, 07:31 AM
rock on! I love it!

Matt:bounce:

jfb
04-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Really great works Xavier! Very good compositions and feeling!
I like a lot! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

xavier-marquis
04-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks a lot for all ur greetings.

DAREONER : mais comment j'ai pu louper ton post. Shame on me :D .. merci ça me fait très plaisir que tu me dises ça car tu es vraiment une pointure dans ce milieu.

Ce sont aussi mes pics les plus abouties techniquement c'est vrai et ce pour une seule raison. C'est devenu mon job alors qu'avant c'était des images juste faite a la sauvette chaque soir, luttant un peu contre la fatigue de la journée avec un café. C dingue mais ça change tout.

ça peut aussi t'expliquer ce pourquoi mon style @home est en plus brushy en ce moment. ça me permet d'aller plus vite et aussi de m'oxygener la vue pour conserver mon style le lendemain matin au taf.

Jfb : thx a lot guy ! call me M :D

Sqwall
04-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Incredible. I hope that the game will be good. Judging from the art it must be.

BC_
04-07-2004, 08:34 AM
nice work:buttrock:

rastaflex
04-07-2004, 08:41 AM
:bounce: GREAAAAAAAAAAAT work!!!
franchement ca tue!!!

Flo.Y
04-07-2004, 08:54 AM
Rien qu'en voyant la vignette en front page, j'étais sûr que c'était toi!

Wonderfull work, "monsieur le Marquis", I think that's really near of what I think about War horror, specially in Vietnam!
I'd love more darkness, maybe, but know it's for commercial stuff!
Anyway, you're the best!
And by the way, congratulations too for "the Plague"...

C'est décidé, j'arrete les pin's vieux, euh... j'arrete la 3D, t'es trop en avance, et moi je prends trop de retard!

Flo

Nuro
04-07-2004, 09:26 AM
hello Xavier

sorry de parler en français , mais je ne pourrai dire autant de chose aussi sincère que cela.
l’update de ton site est vraiment bien et surtout les deux dernières réalisations sont Franchement d’un grand niveau en 3d et tu progresses vite aussi en CG 2d,

Pour parler des deux cg 3d , je n’aime pas trop le thème de la guerre mais la je suis impressionné par la mise en scène, le cadrage, la composition, les couleurs sont riches mais très proche en chromatiques ( t’es pas tomber dans le coté obscure de l’arc en ciel comme moè :bounce: ) , il y a beaucoup de sensibilités dans le deuxième aussi avec le marines

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bowdown:
Good Job

cermit
04-07-2004, 09:33 AM
superb

abina
04-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I hit war forever!

xavier-marquis
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
3 wireframes.

My process is alway the same than for my others works. I construct all the details in 3D, character, weapon, plants. After i take a long time to try some composition, to sketch also some lines of composition. I use some 2D drawing and also some quick 3D construction to test the potential render.
When the composition is approuved I make the render with some simple effetc and I compose all the differents layers directly under photoshop to adjust my color and light. When i work for the print i have no choice I must control the light specificaly to be add some texts over the production.

For the explosion, I mix a 3D explosion with some touch of brush to create something more natural.

http://pong.hku.nl/~roman/xav/3.jpg

http://pong.hku.nl/~roman/xav/1.jpg

http://pong.hku.nl/~roman/xav/2.jpg

FLO : merci pour tes encouragements mais continue. ça doit pas te stopper bien au contraire.

Nuro : merci bp bcp pour ton commentaire. J'espere qu'on se verra un de ces 4 j'ai eu la chance ce we de rencontrer Bengal et Aleksi :)

wachstum
04-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I admit you have quite a sense of seeing 3d as art. And there are actually not many people out there doing this. I hope in the future you will be able to push this even further.

Krisc
04-17-2004, 07:35 AM
I love it, it is amazing! Lighting, mood, everything!

Dutchman
04-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Ow man, this is awsome stuff! I'm proud of the fact that you live in the same country as me :) [Dutch: Ik woon in het zuiden van Nederland, bij Roosendaal in de buurt :buttrock: ]

This is what you call "art"!

khaleghi
04-24-2004, 11:18 AM
that is very ammazing.I love it:love:

mr.wheels
04-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Unreal I really like it accept the one of the soldier beeing burned or whatever thats a bit OFF!!!:surprised But the quality is very good

willbrown
04-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Great renders! One crit: the CH-47D helicopter landing gear does NOT retract. The two distant helos show no gear deployed. You might want to change this.

rhemrev
04-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Very cool stuff man! Also checked out your site, you are one helluve concept artist aswell (that's what I wanna be when I grow up LOL), much respect. And to think you're working here in my homecountry, that just makes me feel all tingly inside...LOL :D

-Edwin

dave247
09-20-2004, 11:51 PM
dude.. that one is amazing and i am giong to cry.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.