PDA

View Full Version : reactor Car-Wheel Constraint

suck
04-05-2004, 09:31 PM
A few quick questions for anyone with good reactor knowledge:

- I've got a car set up with a car-wheel constraint. seems that no matter how much i turn up the velocity of the wheels, they won't spin. i even turned off all gravity and collisions, and nothing. any ideas?

- Is the suspension capable of simulating the springy motion of shocks, or is it just meant to constrain the wheel in the suspension axis and that's it. I can't figure out how to make a bouncy suspension with this.

So far I'm happy with reactor2 in Max6, but this is the first roadblock i've hit.

Ben

maxmanjake
04-07-2004, 03:17 AM
I use the Toy Car instead. you can make the wheels turn by adjusting the ang speed and gain controls. There also is an option to adjust the suspension.

ntanium
04-17-2004, 06:24 AM
I personally have problems moving the car when I use the motor or spin wheels, it starts turning to the left and right even though its all balanced ok. What I did was this, made an invis texture and placed it over some rigid bodies. Here is a video, if it crashes your media player, save to desktop and open from there. The codec for streaming is messed up.

It was a quick rig so there is flaws. Basically the box is an animated rigid body with an invis texture on it, properties set to "unyielding" and mass of 0. The line is just a rigid body with a mass of 0, also invisible when needed. I used it to push then guide the car. If you set friction to 0 on your guides, you probabbly won't notice the car hitting it like that. I just forgot to change the settings. Also the elastic properties might help.

http://www.w00th4x0r.com/shift/car_test1.wmv

Of course if the spin and motor work ok for you, this is just a waste of time :thumbsup:

Cornfed82
07-05-2004, 04:28 AM
I too am having problems getting the Car-wheel constraint working properly. It seems as though the help files that come with MAX don't explain everything there is to getting that constraint working properly. In my experiments with it, the car just starts to pirouette out of control, sometimes even literally flying off in some odd direction.

I tried the recommended solution of using the much simpler, much easier Toycar constraint, but, as with anything, there's a trade-off between ease-of-use and functionality here. You just can't DO much more than get the Toycar to move in a straight line. I'm looking for a car setup that's more customizeable and more flexible. Can anyone offer any help on this topic? Maybe a good tutorial somewhere on how to properly use the Car-wheel constraint? This would be much appreciated.

Zacky
07-08-2004, 07:45 AM
check this car sim out:

http://www4.osk.3web.ne.jp/~kanemori/infohaz.html

There are a couple of cool videos as well...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.