PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a tail

skeletor
07-10-2002, 03:34 AM
Hi guys,

I have a little problem in here! :hmm:

I eventually have a character to rigg and this guy a have a quite long tail. The problem is that he'll be hanging around on feet and swinging in the air with is tail! So, on ground the character leads the tail. In air the tail leads the character. A kind of X-Men's Nightcrawler or so. I'm not to sure about how to rig this to make it easy to animate so I'll appreciate any idea. I'm using XSI but any concept from any prog should be translatable to this case. . . hope so. Cya!

Nando
07-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Spline IK sounds like a good option if supported in XSI.

;)

geoath
07-16-2002, 01:07 AM
hi
u can also use some single bone chains, parented together, (a 2d single chain with many bones is also good, less work, but not so flexible as many single bone chains) and animate the tail by using expressions that except the automatically rotation of each bone will give u the "drag" effect when a tail swings..(the frame offset expression in XSI).
I'm using XSI too, so if u want more details let me know.
best regards
george

skeletor
07-16-2002, 04:08 AM
Thanx, I'll try that too. I'm currently experimenting with the XSI expression and contraint. I'm used to softimage and I dont know if there's is new features to use for that. So I keep trying stuff. It's just that I wanna find a simple rigg to use to keep the animating process fluid.

eek
07-24-2002, 11:18 AM
This may help you...its for a spine but i think you could use it for a tail..
http://www.isner.com/isnerspine/spine_introduction.htm

Eek

breughel
08-03-2002, 11:39 PM
http://www.aldis.org.uk/3DResources/Scripts.htm

See the Rat Tail script

skeletor
08-04-2002, 04:55 AM
Thx guys. . .I'll do my best now :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.