PDA

View Full Version : rendering a low poly model problem

BonciuToma
04-04-2004, 09:27 PM
hi !
i have the folowing problem : i know that when using directX or opengl you can set the way the scene will be rendered (I mean in a game engine). And among theese settings there is something about the shading mode. For example is a constant called GL_LINEAR (I think) that makes the model looks smooth. This means that even thou you have a low poly model opengl will try to make an interpolation between the colors on different faces so you do not see the edges.

My question is : is this posible to do with the maya render engine.
thanks !

poly enslaver
04-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Hm! i was intersted in making such shader... but I am sure that's only a big fake to produce more softer look of model with minimum polys. You may get some kind of that effect when you set your poly edges to smooth. They will be rendered like in OpenGl also. I think..

beaker
04-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Do you mean just smoothing(edit polys > Normals > soft/har) out the normals to make it look smooth or using a normal map and doing a bump using the normals like this: www.drone.org ?

BonciuToma
04-12-2004, 08:38 PM
thanks guys for your help. Setting the normals softer realy did the trick.

thanks again. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.