PDA

View Full Version : General Question about Rendering Passes and Compositing...

danyrey
07-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone,
i have some general questions about Rendering Passes and Compositing:

1. When, in the process of rendering & compositing, do i antialiasing? I saw the aa option in the renderer but i think thats for "renderAllToOnePicture" Renders, right?

2. If there is a scene where i have to change focus(e.g. from background to foreground) is that done in PostProcessing? If yes, is that what the depth buffer channel is for? I never found that information inside a TGA file, where is it stored?.

3. How to get the effect of overlit parts of the screen(e.g. Person stands in front of a window and his silhuette is soft because of the light comming from outside)?

Is there a FAQ or Tutoriallist out there for this kind of questions?Im pretty new to that area? Thanx in advance.

Greets,
-dan

ilasolomon
07-10-2002, 12:18 AM
1. you MUST DO.
2. it could be done in post process, & yes, depth buffer is for that
(Z-depth image is the only manner which must NOT be antialised)
& the information of the z-buffer (depth buffer) could only be stored
in RLA formats (in max), could be read by AFX & COMBUSTION later.
3. i didn't get it,...you mean glow?...or what?

Chris
07-10-2002, 12:43 AM
sounds like 'specular bloom' to me, if you are using Max, it ships with a specular bloom scripted render effect. have a look under the scripts directory somewhere for a sample script called 'specular bloom'. Run it & there will be a new render effect which blows out very bright areas like this...

danyrey
07-10-2002, 06:57 AM
Thanks for your replies.

ila_solomon: So i AA in the final composite then? For Point 3 i will post some pics to make myself clear. Thx.

Cris: I will have a look at it, thx.

danyrey
07-10-2002, 06:58 AM
another example

danyrey
07-10-2002, 06:59 AM
look at the windows

MadMeph
05-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Check out this tut, it helped a lot for me ;)

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/specular_bloom/specular_bloom.htm

lazzhar
05-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Check out this tut, it helped a lot for me ;)

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/specular_bloom/specular_bloom.htm

Waw!! An answer coming 3 years later :)

MadMeph
05-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Glad to be of assistance ;) hehehe

I hope it helps, even if it's a bit late... I was looking to solve the problem myself and found some threads in some forums and decided to check them out 0:-)

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.