PDA

View Full Version : Selling my brand new lightwave..

nitrat
04-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Thought I could go from c4d to lightwave without much hassle. Well, I couldent. Darn..

It is the full 7.5 + 8.0 pre-release bundle with DVDs and UVpro plug-in + a (according to some) great book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321179129/qid=1081014897/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-7592641-5861700?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Make your bid at EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3670184272&category=51344&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Brett H.
04-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Wow, you gave up in 14 days? That really wasn't giving a new piece of software much of a chance, was it? Especially considering you stand to lose quite a bit selling it on eBay with no reserve! Unless, of course, you got an outstanding deal on it in the first place.

Good luck. :)

Brett

nitrat
04-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Well, I have been using cd4 for about 4 months and like it a lot. Iit was however not my copy and I had to give it back to the owner. Thought it would be a breese to change platform, but there seems to be a little more work to it then that, and with a 3 week old son I simply cannot justify spending that extra time relearning stuff. To bad, for me..

SplineGod
04-05-2004, 02:34 AM
If you plan to do this professionally at some point you better get used to learning new software. :)

NanoGator
04-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
If you plan to do this professionally at some point you better get used to learning new software. :)

SplineGod's got a point. Even if LW's not the app you want to do your work on, understanding how it works makes it a lot easier to pick up other stuff down the road.

Frankly, I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't learn to be adaptive as things came along.

zuzzabuzz
04-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Give it to your son and he'll be telling you how to use it in no time. ;)

wanders off, mumbling about kids or something...

marquessax
04-05-2004, 02:38 AM
before giving up, may I suggest an alternative intro book. <b>essetial LW</b> by albee is the best intro book I have ever read, and I have read a few. Even so, I still learned more timesaving and tool use tips in the first three chapters than I have in entire books. When you get a bit better something like albee's charachter animation book, or Inside LW by ablan would be useful. and then there are the [digital] series of book, but those some like and some don't!

I wouldn't give up on it so quickly, lw can be difficult at first, mostly because it's so powerful and has so many options. Once yyou get the hang of it, whether Layout or Modeler or both, you will be hard-pressed to leave your computer.

MarquessaX

SplineGod
04-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Theres also lots of videos out there as well. :)

Kruvi
04-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by marquessax
Once yyou get the hang of it, whether Layout or Modeler or both, you will be hard-pressed to leave your computer.

maybe that's why he wants to sell it :D

no, really, give it a chance, it's great and fun learning it actually gave me no headaches at all compared to trying to understand max for example.

And the community is great :thumbsup:

uncommongrafx
04-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Sell it sell it sell it!!!

If it's a full box, with dongle and everything, then some lucky guy would be crazy not to snatch it up.

If he has children to take care of, then his decision fits his situation best.

On the training side, I am transferring all those vids from the net to DVD so that they can run ad nauseum while I'm working. Absolutely worthwhile for the learning curve!!

shade
04-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, I'm following this bid. I might even buy it, if the price isn't raising too high :). If it does, I have to spare few more months to buy new LW.

Tho, I'm little doubtfull about this Ebay thing, but like I said, I'll follow and register if everything looks nice..

adrencg
04-05-2004, 01:54 PM
I need an extra copy...

Can we make a deal right now for this item? Reply and we can trade emails.

Mike

Sil3
04-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by zuzzabuzz
Give it to your son and he'll be telling you how to use it in no time. ;)

LMAO :buttrock:

At least wait for LW8, 14 days is very litle time to really get your head around a software, since u bought it at least make a good try at it, i know itīs hard learning softwares, specially when we are used to only one.

policarpo
04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
yeesh...let the guy sell it already. if the workflow doesn't fit his flow, it will fit someone else's flow.

good luck with the sale...someone's going to get a great deal.:applause:

Control-Freak
04-05-2004, 04:35 PM
What is the difference between an Academic Version and a Regular version?

The reason I ask is because my work just bought me the 7.5 acad version as they could not wait for the 8 version to come out (not sure if they got the free upgrade with the package or not)

LittleFenris
04-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Control Freak
What is the difference between an Academic Version and a Regular version?

The reason I ask is because my work just bought me the 7.5 acad version as they could not wait for the 8 version to come out (not sure if they got the free upgrade with the package or not)

Academic is for educational or hobby use ONLY...you can't use it for commercial jobs (ie can't get paid for work you do with the academic version of Lightwave). If your work bought an academic version to use for commercial purposes, thats illegal. Might wanna let them know so they can call Newtek and pay them the rest of the money to make it a commercial version.

And as far as the program goes there is no difference between the academic and commercial version...just legal differences.

Control-Freak
04-05-2004, 06:22 PM
I work for a school district so anything that I make for work is non-profit so I do not think there would be a legal issue.

I will look into it though to make sure :)

LittleFenris
04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Control Freak
I work for a school district so anything that I make for work is non-profit so I do not think there would be a legal issue.

Ahh, if you work for a school district I'm sure the laws are a bit different. I think that is the whole point in educational software so kids and teachers can learn to teach others...who will in turn buy the software also (or so the people selling the software hope).

nitrat
04-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, but I have made up my mind and will sell it and then buy c4d. As someone wrote, it dosent fit my workflow at all and I really cant afford to throw away the time already spend. I am in no way saying LW is a less competent or harder app then c4d, only that I based on the tread "what app to choose" got the impression that they were pretty much the same thing (except that I could not try the learning edition of LW as it was removed from the Newtek site).

P.S. I get less the 15 min a day in front of my computer these days :surprised

BTW. I have gotten quite a number of offers from people on this board, but please, bid on Ebay.

-And yes, the upgrade to 8.0 is included, you dont have to pay extra for that..

nitrat
04-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Last chance.
auction ends monday.....

Keiyentai
04-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Need money:drool: .....>_< Gah I hate being BROKE....Urg! :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.