PDA

View Full Version : Glow behind objects plug-in

Zer'Bah
04-03-2004, 11:30 AM
I believe that everyone who used glow effect (eighter in Render\Effects\Lens Effects or in Video Post) had problems with making objects glow behind glass/transparent objects (ie. glowing lamp behind a glass window or car headlights). Well, there is a solution to this problem and you can get an interesting freeware plug-in called Throuhout here:
http://www.lastjedioutpost.webzone.ru/Plug-ins.htm

Unfortunately the site is in russian only, but believe me this is worth getting! If any questions arise about using this simple plug-in be free to write.

And big THANKS to the guy who wrote the plug - Pavel Kuznetsov :)

Zer'Bah

jabbermacy
05-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Sorry, I don't speak Russian!

A few questions:

1) should the plugin be before or after the glow effect? I can't get it to work either way...

2) should the 'apply over' actually be the transparent object/material? I tried using material ID shown in material editor (ie. 09 - default = mat'l ID 9) and object ID (ie. plane_03 = 3) and neither would work.

3) I also tried adding a 'material' modifier to the transparent object and using that for material ID - nothing.

I'm an intermediate max user and would sincerely appreciate any help!!!

Zer'Bah
05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
In order for this plug-in to work you need to turn on "Render Occluded Object" (under "Properties/Rendering Control") in "Object Properties" dialog.

1) should the plugin be before or after the glow effect? I can't get it to work either way...

Put the plug-in before the glow effect.

2) should the 'apply over' actually be the transparent object/material? I tried using material ID shown in material editor (ie. 09 - default = mat'l ID 9) and object ID (ie. plane_03 = 3) and neither would work.

Apply over is for transparent object/material ID.

z900624
06-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Sorry, Could you tell me the steps of using it?

In my case, my transparent object is using "opacity of 60" (standand, not raytrace)

The object id (object channel, right?) is set to 1.

i have add the thoughtout effect with "object id -> 1" and "material id untick"

i render the scene with glow effect.
but nothing happen inside the transparent object.

pls tell me what wrong with it.
thx

LastJedi
06-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Look at this example

Zer'Bah
06-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Here's how it goes:

You have 2 objects - a transparent one and the glow object.
Here is an example:

Make a sphere with a radius of 50 units, go to Object Properties check "Render Occluded Objects" under Render Control and make it Object Channel 1. Go to material editor and assign material with opacity of 50 or 60. This will be the transparent object.

Make another sphere inside the first one with a radius of 10 units. Go to Object Properties and assign Object Channel 2. Assign a Self Illuminating material to this object. This will be the glow object.

Now go to Render Effects and add Ky_Throughout first. It is already set to Object ID 1 by default.

Then add Lens Effects -> Glow, and under Options tab select Object ID 2. Set glow size to 0.5 and intensity to 300 and render scene or press update effect and voila :)

z900624
06-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Very Thx

my mistake is take the glow effect in video post...........

z900624
06-13-2004, 12:57 PM
The Below .max File is for other people as reference
hope it useful

rosarius
09-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi guys what a great plugin, but I still have a problem...

The transparency plugin seem's to work nicely with render effects, but I just can't get it to work with video post LENS FLARE.

I have this police siren and I'm trying to create a flashing lens-flare inside the siren-cone..

Could you please fill me in with more detail about video post lens-flare & throughout?

Object ID - check
opacity 30 - check
1st plugin, then video post lens flare - check

But it just doesn't work. I have a rotating mirror inside the siren, and I't has to block the flare
as it spins, but I don't want the glass cone to block the flare

I appreciate your help

-Rosarius

anibal187
08-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Downloaded it. Thanks.
:thumbsup:

DogFromSPACE
01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
The link posted for the plugin has since died, does anyone have a copy of the file I can grab?
-Sterling

LastJedi
01-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Try this: http://lastjedioutpost.cgtalk.ru/Plug-ins.htm

DogFromSPACE
01-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Ok, so that link worked..... what is this wonderful glow plugin called, and where do I put it once it's downloaded? (the plugins folder?)

dennisgaines
01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I want to use this plug-in with Max 7. Is that OK?

thanks,
Dennis

DogFromSPACE
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I put Ky_Throughout.dlv in my 3dsmax6/plugins directory, but it still doesn't show up in the options for video post filter events. Any ideas?

dennisgaines
01-11-2006, 04:57 PM
It's not a video-post thing. Applied as a rendering effect. And it did work in Max7 for me.

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2006, 04:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.