PDA

View Full Version : What software for Australian trees/plants??

pixel8
04-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone out there in Australia has any suggestions for software to create Australian flora?

I'm leaning towards Polas' Trees Designer but not sure how close to the real thing you can get without spending a long time tweaking. I work for a Landscape Architect so the models need to be technically pretty accurate (ie spot on!).

A library of presets would be nice but not sure if such a thing exists for Aussie stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions here?

I've checked out all the usual:

Onyx, Treecage, Xfrog, Eki's Modpack, Tree Duid (now Trees & Bolts), Hypergrover......

Thanks

Paul

carbon8
04-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Have you checked out tree designer at http://www.polas.net

jinx
04-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Xfrog rules but its expensive. Theres a free plugin from flay.com called treecage(not sure how good it is), and tree druid from dynamic-realities.com

lazers

brett

LittleFenris
04-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Why don't you simply model them yourself? I don't understand everyones need for a plug-in to do everything for them. :shrug:

carbon8
04-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Why don't you simply model them yourself? I don't understand everyones need for a plug-in to do everything for them. :shrug:

I like your drive to be 100% creative LittleFenris, but think in terms of budget. It might or might not be the case here, but most of the time a budget cannot be extended to cover props so you look to plugins and third party programs to handle the dirty work. Only then can you spend most of your dollars on the main character or object.:thumbsup:

LittleFenris
04-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by carbon8
I like your drive to be 100% creative LittleFenris, but think in terms of budget. It might or might not be the case here, but most of the time a budget cannot be extended to cover props so you look to plugins and third party programs to handle the dirty work. Only then can you spend most of your dollars on the main character or object.:thumbsup:

True. I guess I do 3D mostly as a hobby, so things like budget or time don't come into play for me. :) Every once in a while I'll do something in 3D for work though...then of course time is money. I guess I just wondered if the plants have to be so accurate why they don't just model them. All the time you spend waiting for an answer on the forums is time you could have used to just model the plants you needed. :)

juanjgon
04-05-2004, 04:16 PM
You can check Onyx Tree Professional at http://www.onyxtree.com/

It is modular, so you can boy only module you need for your trees ...

pixel8
04-07-2004, 04:33 AM
Hi all

Thanks for all the replies. At this stage will buy Polas' Tree Designer. The best result/ flexibility for what I need.

My boss is a Landscape Architect so the end result has to be botanically correct. There is not enough in the budget to model all the different species of trees needed. I have 5 days to do a full photo-montage showing 2 different views of a new apartment complex and the surrounding landscaping. And at this stage the building is still being designed and the landscaping is not finalised yet!

Thanks again

Paul

Beamtracer
04-20-2004, 11:17 AM
pixel8, you must have taken delivery of Tree Designer by now. I'm just wondering how you are finding it? Is it good? Is it easy?

pixel8
04-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Hey Wanker

Actually haven't had a chance to use it yet.....been flat out with other stuff.

Have most of the walls & steps modelled so hopefully will get on to some trees tomorrow......

Will let you know how I go.....

Paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.