PDA

View Full Version : Creating a production pipeline

Wizdoc
04-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I hope you can help me out on a little problem.

So far, our production pipeline has been as follows:

Live footage / 3D Max CGI -> DFX+ -> Premiere 6

It isn't nearly as efficient as we would like it to be. We do a lot of so-called "running productions" - that is, we begin post work such as color correction and editing even while CGI artists and live crew are still completing shots - and as such we rarely get the chance to see the big picture until very late in production.

Which causes a bit of problems when the client changes his mind on color or other qualities of the picture. Being a smaller crew, we don't have insane amounts of computer power or hard drive space to spare, so re-rendering everything and then recutting it again in Premiere is a pain.

I know we can't really integrate the CGI stuff into our pipeline seamlessly, and we have really no need for that, but we would like to get a lot better integration between our post work suite (DFX+) and editing suite (currently Premiere, but we consider switching).

Okay, I'm rambling, but my question comes down to this. Is it it possible (a plugin or with scripting) to get Premiere or Avid or Final Cut to read DFX+ files?

What I mean that when we're satisfied with our final cut and little tweaks with all the various flows, when the editing program compiles the final result, it would automatically know to tell DFX+ to render the required scenes on the fly.

I believe Premiere & After Effects work seamlessly together (i.e. no need to render a result between post and editing), but we're looking for solution to use with our DFX+.

Sorry, English isn't my first language, but I hope you can understand where I'm getting at.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.