PDA

View Full Version : Beast of Burden_character/contraption_puddlefish

puddlefish
07-09-2002, 04:09 PM
Well I guess it's time to start making an appearance again, so I'm just starting my thread.

Like a few others, mine will be a water based creature. Kind of like an enormous whale, it will carry a huge purifying plant on its back that mines chemicals from its bloodstream, at the same time taking advantage of the creature's natural ability to absorb and purify the water of the oceans, which would otherwise be poisonous to the miners.

Will have early sketches up soon, in the meantime I'd be happy to hear comments or suggestions on the concept.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Stygian
07-10-2002, 01:07 AM
off the wall puddlefish looking forward to see it
:bounce:

puddlefish
07-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Ok, so I'm off to a slow start, but it's still a start.

The is the front half of the gigantic whale thingy. The sort of blobby mass under it's tougher skin is its ingension organ (mouth, I guess, but different). More on that later.

Anyway, just to let you know I'm not sitting on my ass.

PS: I might do this piece purely as a monotone drawing

puddlefish
07-11-2002, 10:12 PM
Wow, lost alot of detail there.

jeroentje
07-11-2002, 10:35 PM
So finally we will know what a Puddlefish really looks like. Can't wait to see...

Cgkoko
07-12-2002, 08:57 AM
:buttrock: This is great!love it.....you are getting better and better every time:bounce:

puddlefish
07-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys, will try to update tonight :thumbsup:
Kinda like this concept so I'm definitely going to finish it.

Sleepless
07-13-2002, 06:44 AM
Good render dude. Is that pencil or some Painter work? It's tight and I can't wait to see the machinery. :thumbsup:

puddlefish
07-13-2002, 10:21 PM
It's all the brush tool in Photoshop with a Wacom. Duotone setup with the brush at 50% opacity.
Got a bit distracted today and yesterday by alchohol and B-movies, but I'm back on it tomorrow!

Stygian
07-15-2002, 07:00 AM
I like it lets see an update

skello
07-20-2002, 12:17 AM
c'mon dude!!!
don't make it 3 incomplete challenges in a row

puddlefish
07-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Damn, didn't know anyone was counting!!
Will post soon, I'm trying to work out a decent composition for the actual painting (drawing). The problem lies with the viewpoint. Make it above water and you get the contraption but not so much the beast, make it below water and you get the oposite. A slight redesign may be in order. Or maybe just a half up half down viewpoint. Hard to pull off though.
Any suggestions?

jeroentje
07-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Why should the contraption be above water? Could be very interesting to keep it all "submarined"...
jeroentje
(btw does this make sense? I'm drunk as ghell)

puddlefish
07-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah, maybe. I kinda like the image of lots of half submerged thingies (specific, no?). Besides, it's kinda supposed to be a whale type creature, so it would be in the best interests of the miners to curtail its movements by keeping it close to the surface. I think I might have the tail amputated so that it couldn't dive. What can I say, I'm a sucker for details!

Apt Pupil
07-22-2002, 03:54 AM
And here you said I was good at details, your not bad yourself. He's looking great.

"Duotone setup with the brush at 50% opacity" :shrug: I have got to try this. It's imposible to tell your picture from the real thing, that's awesome. However, I still have to get used to my wacom:surprised

I understand your delima with the submerged or not, that's a tough choice. If you did it submerged, you can draw more circling fish and the rocks beneath the ocean, but if you draw it half submerged, you would have the beautiful details of the cascading water and the sun setting in the distance (or something like that). Both seem equally interesting.

But you have already made up your mind, so I am sure whatever it is that you envision is going to be cool.

My only crit is, the way you shaded the tail looks a bit wierd because I can't tell which direction it is slightly facing. The pose suggests that it's absolutly flat, but the shading suggests that it is coming towards us. Well, I guess we'll see once you fill in the body.

Keep up the good work, and don't make this your 3rd strike heheheheh

puddlefish
07-22-2002, 08:32 AM
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the tail. Is is the large fin protruding from its side or the machinery which has replaced his real tail. If it's the later, this is far from finished, and the tones are purposefully darker to add weight and a slightly opressive feel to these elements.

Either way, volume shading is in no way finished, as I'm still working out the actual design, but shout whenever you spot something!!

Thanks

puddlefish
07-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Here's a quick sketch of what the finished drawing will (kind of) look like. I've decided to go for the half up half down approach. This is very scribbly as I was drawing while thinking, but it makes sense to me.
The big thing on its back (with one side made of glass) is the processing plant, the main tube running through it is connected directly to the creature's spine, with smaller connections through bloodstreams and arteries. The small sphere sticking out of this (on the creature's left) is the control centre. The three large barrells (on the creature's right) are storage packs, which rotate in turn to connect with the inner tube. These are then carried away by air and replaced with fresh ones. These are mainly for storing purified water.
The big scribbly tube thingies on either side (at sea level) are for propulsion. The creature's fins are harnessed to contorl direction and balance.
There is a contraption over the creature's mouth that acts like a food filter/attractor. Kind of like those lights that attract flies. This ensures the creature recieves enough substanance in its incapacitated state.
And finally (deep breath) the grilled bit under the belly of the creature is the water intake for the power generator.
Now, any questions? :p

Sleepless
07-22-2002, 05:02 PM
Well thought out. Great concept. I really like the half up half down approach...... I can almost see those wheels turning in you head. I've learned something else from you now. You got my vote so far. Finish it puuhleeze.:beer:

puddlefish
07-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Thanks Sleepless, I'll do my best!

puddlefish
07-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Goddamn it! Just finished a bit painting job, so I'm a little Wacomed out at the moment. What's the deadline (soon, right?)?

dfr98
07-31-2002, 04:34 PM
It looks great so far, you have to Finish it :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.