PDA

View Full Version : MakeIris Photoshop action

terryford
07-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Those of you working on human models might find this Photoshop Action useful

http://www.terryf.dial.pipex.com/htm/iris.shtml

It's an iris pattern maker. It's not photorealistic, but the results are good enough for medium close ups.

Each pattern is pseudo random, so the patterens are generated in the same sequence for each photoshop session. If somebody knows how to make it more random I'd appreciate the tip.

Regards,
Terry

mohh
07-10-2002, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the action, one question though, what version of PhotoShop will this work on?

terryford
07-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Written with v6.0, a couple of users of v7.0 have said it works on their version too, Mac and PC.

Regards,
Terry

mohh
07-10-2002, 10:33 AM
I tried it, but it doesn't seem to finish. It seems to stop after airbrushing the path around the eye and leaves a bunch of dots around the edges. Works great up until that point though.

terryford
07-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Could you email me the result you're getting, or post a pic in this thread. What version of PS are you using? What OS? Does it stop with an error message?

mohh
07-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Here you go Terry.

http://www.mohhs.com/tmp/iris.gif

Sorry about the size, but at this size you can still read the History and the layer names. When it stops I don't get an error message, it just stops as if it's finished. This is on PhotoShop 7.

terryford
07-11-2002, 01:24 PM
My guess is that you already have a brush called "Custom" and it's a non-antialiased spatter brush. Something I didn't take into account.

I've modified the action to create a specifically named brush for the iris edge, try the new version (same name/url) and let me know if it works.

I'd wait about 20 minutes from now to get it, just to allow enough time for the new version to float up from the ftp site.

Regards,
Terry

mohh
07-12-2002, 03:06 AM
Hi Terry,

I've tried it 3 times already and I keep getting the same results. I first tried it 5 hours ago, so I should have the latest one. Maybe it just doesn't like 7...

terryford
07-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Sorry it's not working out for you. I'm stumped. One final thing you might try is to double click the "Set Current Brush" line in the action to run that command, this should mean that the iris outline brush is definatly created, then try the action again.

Regards,
Terry

mohh
07-12-2002, 09:49 PM
I tried it and no luck. I even changed the brush size just to see if it would change to 32 and it does. I guess I'm stuck doing it manually.

Thanks for trying though. :)

terryford
07-13-2002, 12:42 AM
OK, final suggestion; Have you got the brush mode (tool bar at the top by default) set to "dissolve"? If yes change it to normal, and check that flow is set to 100% while you're at it.

mohh
07-13-2002, 12:41 PM
That was a little better. The edge is now a little smoother, but it's still stopping at the same spot. Isn't this action supposed to make the pupil too?

Slowly but surely :)

http://www.mohhs.com/tmp/iris2.gif

terryford
07-13-2002, 10:17 PM
It doesn't add a pupil. I prefer to do pupils as a hole in the eye model, to allow for subtleties like dilation and even redeye (though my samples have a matt black eye interior). Plus the light catches the edge of the hole a bit for extra realism.

Regards,
Terry

mohh
07-14-2002, 04:38 AM
That makes sense. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me get this thing working. Now to make some eyeballs ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.