PDA

View Full Version : Gayax, Bang Sanghyun (3D)

Bang sanghyun
03-31-2004, 03:08 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/36831/gayax_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/36831/gayax.jpg)

This is our studio's last works.
Our studio made this poster for PR of Full 3d online game developed by Gonusoft.
They are heros of Gayax (http://www.gayax.com),

[ software used ]
+modeling - Softimage XSI 3.5, Maya 5.0 for characters
Bryce for Background

+texturing - photoshop

+rendering - Maya 5.0

+composite and post - photoshop

High Res Version (http://www.omixstudio.com/gallery/2004/gayax/gayax_omixstudioA.jpg)

JesseDavis
03-31-2004, 03:13 AM
very nice. Ginormous resolution doesn't work well with my laptop though. But I don't care =)

grafi
03-31-2004, 05:41 AM
WOW really nice, im suprised only 1 person replyed to this so far. Did you do all that modeling? or was it spread through the company?

either way its really good!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wolfsflames
03-31-2004, 06:08 AM
Wooow VERY VERY good, only the Resolution is impresive :beer:

EVIL
03-31-2004, 06:54 AM
I dont like the plants and the basic ground texture. but the modeling and character textures are very nice!

tobiasth
03-31-2004, 08:25 AM
amazing! i like it very much! :bowdown:

JasonLin
03-31-2004, 09:51 AM
the size is too..........................big~~~
can you post a smaller size...
but the work is nice~~~

chatta
03-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Gook work :beer:
An animation ???;)

yangmiemie
03-31-2004, 10:20 AM
:bounce:
good work!!

vladiseco
03-31-2004, 10:57 AM
WOW :eek:

TheEdge
03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
this should be on the homepage.

Sas.hun
03-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Wooow!! :eek:

Fantastic Work! :thumbsup: Congrat! :bowdown:

sp00n
03-31-2004, 05:25 PM
just love it

matrixreality
03-31-2004, 05:37 PM
wow it's very good :bowdown: :bowdown:

hyst
04-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Real nice omg!

Korea rocks in developping MMORPGs.

I liked Lineage 2 artwork too

well I'll maybe register for Beta if there is any english version ^_^

good luck

grafi
04-01-2004, 03:41 AM
yea this should be plugged.
:buttrock:

Bang sanghyun
04-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Thanks for all your comments. ^^

Three of our studio member(inluding me) did this work.
This works is only for Poster...
So We don't have any plan of animation with this characters.

comP-oppositE
04-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Wow! All this for a poster?...Bravo!!! Why not go all the way and get someone to animate it? if I'd created this I would so want to go and make an anmiation out of it...

I actually don't mind the plants and other objects...the focus is so obviously on the main character, and rightfully so!

:thumbsup:

linda
04-01-2004, 08:08 AM
I think this is amazing, realy good work congratulations!

Spiffjackson
04-01-2004, 10:25 AM
I really like the character models and textures. I think the Depth of Field could use a little tweaking. Im surprised that you used Bryce for this at all. just seems strange.

very nice work. I would love to see it in motion

welshboy
04-01-2004, 11:47 AM
very nice!!!

only thing: the shadows are lookin a bit odd to me (when you take a look at the suns position)
sorry for my bad english ... hope you know what i mean

otherwise VERY IMPRESSIVE!! :applause:

Scarlet Dawn
04-01-2004, 12:16 PM
WOW! I almost fell out of my seat when I saw this. The level of detail is beautiful and I can't get over the bone texture, it's amazing

Joebount
04-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Really clean, nice designs.
Maybee too clean in fact, the textures should be more aged, they look as they went out of the factory (cloth and axe).

Nice work. :beer:

playmesumch00ns
04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
You need to work a bit on whatever you're using for your DOF, it looks like a blown-up low-res texture.

Also add some motion blur, everything feels way to static!

francescaluce
04-01-2004, 02:06 PM
broken link... cannot see the image.

edited:: sorry... now it works.... it was charging... GREAT image... not only in size !!

ciao
francesca

Perkar
04-01-2004, 02:15 PM
hmmm... great jog, i'm impresed :D soon i hope to do sth like that... I know, I know... hope mother of dummies. But i must try :D hehehe

COOL PIC

Vushvush
04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Not to come off as a whining bitch or anything (that's still better than the "U r0x0rs!!!!" fanboy), but for pro work, done by 3 people, one would expect more now a days. That looks like it came right out of a Heroes of Might and Magic cut scene from 3 years ago.

Don't meant o be harsh, but at that resolution, you really needed higher res textures, and more detail. Specifically, more attention to texture variation through aging and hues shifts.

It's really cool though, and I can imagine the time constraints if these wasn't meant to be animated. In that regard, it seems like a waste of man hours and that the poster should have featured character's from cut scenes or the intro.

unwrap
04-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Such a professional work! :thumbsup:

JeePee
04-01-2004, 02:52 PM
it looks very good i like the barbarian a lot but the knights facial
expression seems a little weird and it's hard for me to tell if it is a guy or a girl

Garma
04-01-2004, 02:57 PM
that's truly awesome. THe character itself still looks a little 3D but the attributes just rock, and cool lighting too.

azvin
04-01-2004, 03:13 PM
nice... very nice....

:buttrock: :buttrock:

SquirrelyJones
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM
I think the quality is good, only thing I can see is that the Barbarian character has on some pretty modern boots, I'm not sure if they had rubber soles and heels back then. :)

Other then that I like it. :thumbsup:

Savage_Henry
04-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Congratulations on this....it looks awesome!!

Now...stop working so hard!
We need to go out and grab some mekju's
Han tuk ssah!!

BartokDesign
04-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Nice stuff
Remembers me a guy in Soul Edge , do u remember that game?

Gkaine
04-01-2004, 07:23 PM
all i see is [x]

DoLeeP
04-01-2004, 08:16 PM
:thumbsup: just amazing

BLee
04-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Great job !!! i like it.

Plays_4_Pants
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
I honestly don't see what makes that ax so homosexual

Geta-Ve
04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
plays_4_pants: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING WHEN I READ THE TITLE!!!! i was like GAY AX?!?!?! WTF!!??

oh man I kept hoping some one would notice that.. oh man... funny... :scream:

anyhoo, vushvush(correct name) i think your crit is too harsh, for a team of three, i believe that is seriously good work.. the modeling is pretty much top notch, textures are as good as they are gonna get for a game like that, actually i dont really understand what your saying about the textures.. theres incredible detail on them... you have seen the high res version right?

my main crit is the emotion of the scene... and the lack of dirtyness.. things should be more "roughed up" and there should be more hatred in this shot (with facial expressions etc)

i dont really understand how you can "bash" the quality... why exactly should a team of three be able to do better than this? in "this day of age" this quality to me is right below blizzard quality in terms of apearance and feel. (especially the sky)

Neil
04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
i agree that it is indeed high quality, but just doesn't come jump at you due to the pose and positioning of the characters.
I would like to see some more tension, and editing the pose of the character on the left, the hammer is kinda getting lost in the outline of the character.

JA-forreal
04-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Geat 3d work Bang sanghyun! This kind of 3d work is at the top of my interest, 3d art that is made to promote a company etc. That's what I call putting polygons to work.

Originally posted by Geta-Ve

i dont really understand how you can "bash" the quality... why exactly should a team of three be able to do better than this? in "this day of age" this quality to me is right below blizzard quality in terms of apearance and feel. (especially the sky)

As to 3d quality for PR work, working for a client is not the same as modeling 3d work for a 3d art contest. Hehehe. The two separate functions bare little resemblance and working with a client yields better opportunities for future commercial contacts. The task of landing a lucrative contract with a prominent client outweighs the prize winnings in some 3d contest. To me graphic presentation is what pro 3d is all about any way you shake it. Forreal.

Orange_Viper
04-02-2004, 01:10 AM
Wow, really awesome picture, nice textures and everything! keep 'em comin!! (please? :p )

Vushvush
04-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Geta-Ve, ok, fine, I won't give legit crit anymore.

The image is amazing!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Perfect!!:thumbsup:

I thought it was a photo! or a Painting! (whatever you were going for, that's what I think!)

The crits are valid, I've seen both versions and the high res version actually shows those issues more clearly (of course).

I left a disclaimer saying that perhaps they had a tight deadline and rushed it or something. But my point remains, this is 3-4 year old quality, and would add if its a poster, the composition should be more dramatic and forceful, not a medium shot as it is.

If people don't want crits, don't post work to get critiqued.

GreenIce
04-02-2004, 04:00 AM
wow, good work !!!:thumbsup:

SpaceTik
04-02-2004, 07:48 AM
They must shop from the same metal smith. The pattern on the war hammer looks similar to the pattern on the armor of the sword wielder. :)

I'm dying to see the main character though "GAYAX" hehe

Top notch work dude! Go Korea!

Oh yeah and Vushvush, I know your trying not to come off as a whining bitch or anything... or be harsh in any way and i respect that .

But your failing badly at both.

:)

colkai
04-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Vushvush
But my point remains, this is 3-4 year old quality, and would add if its a poster, the composition should be more dramatic and forceful, not a medium shot as it is.
If people don't want crits, don't post work to get critiqued.

IF this work is 3 or 4 years old then I am afraid you'd better contact some of the major effects houses because their work sucks big time. I have seen far worse than this quality on TV on a regular basis, work done by a full studio with seasoned professionals. I ain't talking isolated examples here either, with all that money and all thoe folks, surely the big studios should never put out anything less than cutting edge work?
It's one thing to suggest areas for improvement and offer constructive critique, it's quite another to say the work is old and not of high quality. Of course, the other valid point is, what medium is it intended for? Game characters should have a 'style' no matter how they are presented. If the work is supposed to be photo-real high-impact great. If the models are intended to be animated, that brings with it it's own restrictions.
Same for the other studiods, which is basically my point. Deadlines, finance, render times, etc.. all paly a part in what dictates the final image.

TerianSilva
04-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Style is a bit stolen from blizzard but really cool! That is going to be a stunning fight!

tsunami4you
04-02-2004, 12:49 PM
impressive!i love this style!:bowdown:

Seba
04-02-2004, 02:28 PM
pretty cool man! two thumbs up!

pur9e
04-02-2004, 04:27 PM
You might want to think about asking Gonusoft to change the name, if you are going for an American release.

Unless they are aiming the game at a gay market....but I don't know how big that one is.

Just a suggestion! Grade A work on the cg, of course.

Njen
04-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Comments about the lighting:
The blue fill light looks wrong. Where is the blue light coming from?
I think the sparkle on the sword would give off some light onto the body of the female character and the ground.
The shadows on the ground are too dark. The sky looks quite bright, and would throw back orange into the scene.
The light on the inside of the cape looks a little strange.

I think the ground looks like it dosen't have any bump in it

The poses are nice, and the modeling looks good.
Some godrays and a small amount of dust around the feet would look good.

Keep it up!

Murtaza
04-02-2004, 10:36 PM
I think the lighting and composition are in need of a lot of work.

There are quite a few things so im just going to name them for you.

-The shadows are way to dark/black, they should be of a purple hue and a much lighter tone.

-The backround hills are in dire need of some atmospheric degradation. They need to be lighter and more desaturated.

http://www.davestravelcorner.com/photos/nepal/mountains.jpg

http://danny.oz.au/travel/new-zealand/p/1570-murchison-mountains.jpg

The characters don't fit in with the bg very well, wheres that blue light coming from?

The composition looks to have a lot of potential, the characters poses really lack the energy they should have in such an epic battle.

There's more but im spent for now.

Look forward to seeing more :)

mehdianim
04-02-2004, 10:51 PM
is kewl but it needs a little more dirt it still feels too much like clean CG.
The ground for instance looks like the rubber asphalt the have on children's playground -What was wrong with getting banged up and scratched up anyway ???-

Kool models though.

irahus
04-03-2004, 09:57 AM
i can't feel 'dramatic' in this scene (battle scene).
camera view 2 straight forward. a little angle should be nice;)
need some art direction here.:hmm:

Kragen
04-11-2004, 05:13 PM
you are ridiculously Talented. Love your site

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.