PDA

View Full Version : Surface goes weird when moved!

bastiaan
03-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi y'all.. I'm workin on my first animation, but I can't seem to get the character move the way I want it to move! .. The pictures explains very much all my problems...
Can somebody tell me how to fix it, so I finally can start animating this suckerrrr..
http://www.bastiaanwormgoor.nl/error.jpg

galactor
03-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Ik hoop dat dit je helpt:
All the vertices in the leftHip area are 100% bound to the leftLeg joint. That's because you are using rigidBind, am i right about that? You can work it out by assigning a flexor to the leftJoint i guess.
A better way to skin your geometry would be SmoothBind.
This way you can give an fallof to the reach of a Joint, so it influencing the vertices more fluently.

:: Galactor ::

bastiaan
04-01-2004, 10:30 AM
ey galactor, thanx for the reply, but it still leaves me here with a few queations:
smooth bind sure helps a bit, but is there another way of changing the falloff options without detaching en re-binding the skin?

bastiaan
04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
man.. this character is driving me mental! :cry: It doesn't matter what method I use, (rigid/smooth-bind) and how many flexors I add, the surface still goes weird.. for example: when I want the arms aside his body the side of the cheast goes inside the body!.. Can anybody give me some pointers on how to do this correctly!

galactor
04-01-2004, 08:43 PM
It is also important to rightly place the joints.
If you place the rightUpperlegJoint more to the front and a bit lowerof the body, it will have a better effect.

:: Galactor ::

loked
04-02-2004, 11:16 AM
I think it's even more important to understand that no matter how much weight painting you do and no matter how good your joint placement is, you'll still get that tube like bend. This is purely because maya's binding method's dont allow for volume maintenance. You would need to use influences, blends or clusters to cheat the effect of volume maintenance. This is not to say that joint placement is not important, its very important, but not a complete solution.

So I suggest you do some reading on influence and set driven keys :)

later:wavey:
loked

bastiaan
04-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanx for the rep's.. I'm gonna work on it! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.