PDA

View Full Version : High-Res wrapped to low-res -- any alternatives?

FLGirlKris
03-30-2004, 03:55 AM
Hello, all...

I'm working on a character for a student project. I have a low-res (poly) version of the character and a high-res (NURBs) version of it.

Currently, the rig is driving the poly version. However, when I try to use it as a wrap deformer for the NURBs, it bogs down the computer a good bit, and I fear it will be terrible to animate (which means I'll have two people hating me...).

I tested animating the poly character and then doing the wrap, and it seemed to work okay. I was wondering if this was a workable solution (doing the wrap deformer to the high-res after animating and right before rendering).

In theory, it seems like it should work if there are always a few frames at the beginning of the character in the default pose (so that the pose matches up when you do the wrap), but mysterious things happen in Maya (at least when you're a newb trying to rig).

Does anyone know if this is a feasable solution?

On a tight schedule... Any advice much appreciated =)

galactor
03-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Does the wrap also slow down when then Nurbs surface is hidden.
Normaly Maya oesn't calculate stuff that is hidden.

:: Galactor ::

Gnimmel
04-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Galactor's reply should point you in the right direction, ethier hide all nurbs or put the 2 meshes on different layers so that they can be hidden to speed up calculation.

In addition, you really need to look up referencing. You should reference in the rig for animation, which solve your first problem because you can change the reference file at any time you like. i.e. Have 2 versions of the rig, one low res. and the other your high res. one. Animate with the low res rig and at render time switch the referenced rig to the high res one.

This is a much better way to do things, not only do you get the above improvment, but if you find a problem with the rig after some of the animation has been done you can fix the rig file.

Richard

FLGirlKris
04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Gnimmel,

Thanks very much. I've never heard of referencing, but I will look into it. It's sounds like a simple but flexible solution. I saw in another post someone suggesting setting the wrap node to "blocking", so I guess that might be another option... We'll see what works best for this rig. I put the two models on different layers, but even with the NURBs hidden, the poly rig is *much* slower than before the wrap. Have no idea why.

I'll be looking into this stuff...
Got my little squirrel all set up for motion and facial animation, but now I gotta help a teammate catch up...crazy end of semester...!

XanderFX
04-09-2004, 04:38 AM
Why don't you only skin the NURBS version and paint all your weights there. Then use the poly version segmented and parented to the joints.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.