PDA

View Full Version : Simple Low-Poly Game Character Rigging?

the_podman
03-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Hello. My first post, be gentle. Hehe.

I'll get right down to it. I've been searching the internet for days on all the popular MAYA 5 tutorial sites (highend, learning maya, etc.) and I simply cannot find a tutorial that covers SIMPLE character rigging and setup for real-time characters in games.

Pretty much all of them involve very realistic setups with influence objects and a gazilion bones with addition/subtration nodes and such. I'm just looking for a simple tutorial in rigging that would apply to a nice low-poly mesh like a typical PS2 game or UNREAL character. Preferably one that covers simple hand setup as well. The key word here is "simple". I don't wan't to spend 6 months rigging.

I've found one that seems simple but is a bit outdated (Nov. 2000). I was going to use it but was worried I would run into a problem using MAYA 5.

here it is:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/realtimechar1/

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

antweiler
04-02-2004, 08:20 AM
theres not so much difference in gamerigging, since gamecharacters are much more detailed now and will be in the future. The techniques are the same. however, deformation is done with bones (and blendshapes?) only and you have to use the bones who are exported to your gameengine economically . The rig can be as complicated as every maya character, since it will not be exported, it depends on how easy one wants to make it for the animator, or if you want to apply mocap to it, etc...

If your engine doesnt have a bonesystem, and the animation is done with blendshapes, you are totally free in using any kinds of deformers for your mesh.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.