PDA

View Full Version : "Constrain Object to Cluster" Problems

TemperalVision
03-29-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm having a small (yet infuriating) problem in XSI with the constrain object to cluster function. I have a face model with blend shapes on it and I have some things attached to the face via constrain object to cluster. Everything works fine and the way it's suppost to untill I try to play it or capture it. The object that is constraned is left where it is. yet if i move the bones or blend shapes maualy it jumps back to doing what it's suppost to.

What is the problem?:shrug: Please help me. :hmm:

Ablefish
03-29-2004, 08:47 PM
What I would do is to try saving a key on some property within the Constraint. Maybe the blend or offset values. Hopefully that will force a refresh of the constraint when you're trying to do a capture.

TemperalVision
03-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Thanks.
I have tried that but it didn't work. Is there any other way to make the constraints refresh themselfs?

Ablefish
03-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Hmmm... under the Playback options there is an Update Tab with some options you can play with. However, the default is to update everything and this is no doubt the case in your scene.

There is the on-frame-change-script property there as well - maybe a simple script (selecting or inspecting the mesh might suffice?) might do the trick for you.

Someone a little more scripty will probably have a definite solution.

Did you try saving a key on the object's translation values? Maybe that will force the constraint to be active...

Good luck,

TemperalVision
03-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Hurray!!!:bounce:

I made a script and used the on-frame-change-script that you suggested to run it. My effect now works!

Thanks ALOT ! ! !:cool:

Ablefish
03-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Great! How simple or complicated a script did it require?

TemperalVision
03-30-2004, 02:32 AM
well it is a pretty simple script. I just moves the position of the objects witch are consrtained a little. the Script command name is then placed in the on-frame-change-script in the playback options.

UNFORTUNATLY........

this expression does NOT work when rendering or capturing.:banghead:

I'm trying to find a way around that though by keying the object on every frame and then removing the constraint. I'm hoping that should solve my problems. :shrug: It should work.

Once again. If anyone knows of a better method of doing this, please let me know.

TemperalVision
03-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Well I got it working. Thought it's a pain in the a**. A small mov file with the animation in question is on my W.I.P. thread. It's the Lip-sync one. the mustash still pops near the end though.

Work In Progress Thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129890)

I'll continue to look for a beter way of getting that mustash rig to stick. Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.