PDA

View Full Version : Blur Effect between models

Silmar
03-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi guys,

Not sure this is the right forum. I am using 3dsmax 6 and am in the process of creating of potential magazine advertisment which will comprise of the following;

3 boxes with high resolution UV textures applied. Each box is of a different piece of software the company is trying to sell. Basically I want to show the transition between these products and thought about a blur effect from one to the other with the boxes razor sharp (ie blur lines between them)

I have tried using 3dsmax and applied the blur effect however it looks rather naff? Would combustion be able to do this? If so what steps should I take.

Appreciate any advice

dg
03-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi,

Stupid question but when you talk about magazine advertisment you mean video or still image?

Silmar
03-31-2004, 06:41 AM
It will be a still image, so perhaps Combustion isnt the tool?

tobiasth
03-31-2004, 07:05 AM
i think its easier when you use photoshop for this!

Silmar
03-31-2004, 07:27 AM
yeah would like to but I dont want to affect the shadows max creates

tobiasth
03-31-2004, 08:12 AM
render the shadows in 3dsmax in a extra picture (render layers) and use this in photoshop.

Silmar
03-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by tobiasth
render the shadows in 3dsmax in a extra picture (render layers) and use this in photoshop.

How would I do that Tobiasth? Render the full image in max then cut the boxes out in photoshop, blur the boxes, then put them back in?

tobiasth
04-01-2004, 08:53 AM
hi!

press F10 in 3dsmax and you come to the render options.
take a look at "Render Elements" and Add "Shadow" .... press render and a second render windows appears with just the shadow inside (when you nothing see, press the alpha channel option).

when you now render the same scene without the shadow you can blur the shadow layer you want.

hope it works,
tobi

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.