PDA

View Full Version : xsi hair,cloth n stuff

Kananga
07-09-2002, 02:03 AM
hi
Ive read somewhere that XSI cloth sucks (may have been here) and avoid it if possible. Is this the case? How about the hair/fur system? Im tossing up between max and XSI, and want to use cloth, but am concerned that XSI cloth may give me grief. Anyone have any views on this?

cheers

rotaryman
07-09-2002, 02:45 AM
hey farquar,
I can shed some light on your question. The cloth is still in it's infancy for such a highend package, so yeah I guess you can get away with sayin It's substandard. But! Hair and fur is a different story, Now if you know anything about fur and hair systems you probably heard of this name, Joe Alter, aka God of Fur and Hair and creator of a plugin program for Lightwave and Maya called "Shave and a Haircut". Well the good ol' boys over at softimage laid a prett thick stack of cash on Joe to integrate his system into XSI.

Another Question. Why Max??

Atyss
07-09-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by rotaryman
Joe Alter, aka God of Fur and Hair and creator of a plugin program for Lightwave and Maya called "Shave and a Haircut". Well the good ol' boys over at softimage laid a prett thick stack of cash on Joe to integrate his system into XSI.

The Hair module in XSI is not Shave and a Haircut. It's a new system designed from the cooperation of Joe and the Softimage dev team.

Also, Shave and a Haircut is even available in Cinema 4D!

Given all the problem related to the rendering of hairs I wouldn't say it rocks.

Just my 2 cents
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

rotaryman
07-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Yeah I know it isn't Shave, or else it would have the tool set that comes with it. But alas it is "based" off of the code that shave is compiled of, not a carbon copy. I should have been more specific.

Kananga
07-09-2002, 10:49 PM
thanks, that helps. Im predominantly a Maxer, so I can get good results with several cloth plugins available for max. May still use XSI though, if the furs ok. I just need many, many months to learn the package :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.