PDA

View Full Version : UMMMMMMMMM, my cd drives are kinda, not there

Jb5k1
03-28-2004, 10:32 PM
YAH, i hate this computer o so much. OK so like, heres the scoop...

My cd drives are not working to good, and I found this IDE cable that I have that I never used, so I figured I'd try and replace it...

So, the replacement was too short and wouldn't connect both drives and the mobo, so I put the original mangled piece of sh*t in again, and now I don't have cd drives. The boot sequence menus say that they aren't installed, and they don't show up in the device manager. I'm stumped.

I thought maybe that it was caused by me changing the little cork as I like to call it, which would be those six prongs to the left of where the IDE cable goes into the drive, and theres a little thing u put around two prongs. I put that back the way it was and it still doesn't work.

please help, I'm aboot to kill my nonliving computer.

GregHess
03-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Got any other spare cables? You might want to pick one up at a local compusa or other such store. It'll be about 5 bucks. Worth it to have at least ONE known working cable when your troubeshooting drive problems.

You could also swap your drive cable to the CDROM's, see if they detect, and if they do, you know you need to buy a new cable.

Jb5k1
03-28-2004, 11:36 PM
so like, take the hard drive cable and try that?

i was thinking of doing that but I'm pretty sure the one doesn't work and I know that I'd have problems.

I'll try that soon

THX

Rabid pitbull
03-29-2004, 01:51 AM
Well two things come to mind. Maybe the cable is upside down, or possibly the power is not connected. Worth a closer look to be certain it is correct.

singularity2006
03-29-2004, 03:40 AM
if all else fails, a lil bit of my own experience:

i had a board that practically died on me and refused to allow more than 1 device per IDE channel. If ur board falls under such a case (I pray it does not), then try connecting only one drive per IDE channel.

Jb5k1
03-29-2004, 12:02 PM
@singularity, i dunno where else to put another IDE cable on this shitty dell mobo. looks to me like all the connectors are in use. I look for one tho

they cant be in upside down cause they have that little plastic thingy the sticks up off of the adapter or w/e u wanna call it.

sometimes i wanna purposely make a nice electro magnectic charge go through my computer when i take all the good stuff out.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

singularity2006
03-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Jb5k1
sometimes i wanna purposely make a nice electro magnectic charge go through my computer when i take all the good stuff out.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

but then u would fry the good stuff in the process. :applause:

Jb5k1
03-29-2004, 11:48 PM
yes, and i tried that extra ide cable and nothing nadda

the boot sequence thing showed me that it wasn't "installed" although i installed the shit i hate this computer but i must refrain from cursing this mofo off piece of junk i'm gonna flip out i couldn't burn anything now i cant even install anything i need to reinstall some shit omg omg omg omg

what should i do, and no, i'm not THAT (up there :wip:) serious but yea i'm a bit pissed as i'm the ONLY person in this household who puts out money for this thing and everything goes wrong, AND i'm the one who must fix it

what could be wrong, i did what y'all (hahaha funny word (y'all (repeated head shaking (in the no style)))) (<-----HAHAHAHA)

i'm stoked aboot this david bowie concert tonight and i'm kinda going insane HAHAHAHA

help :cry:

singularity2006
03-30-2004, 12:59 AM
yeah, that sounds like me. I gotta shell out the cash for the little stuff because that's the stuff that needs to get fixed. If I can justify anything larger, I can ask the folks for some benjamins.

But no biggie. Just get used to it. Anyhow, if the drive powers on but does not get listed in the device listing when u start up, u can have either a bad board, a bad cable, or a bad drive, or a combination of the three. Try plugging in your hard drive to those channels that don't work with the CD ROMs.

Jb5k1
03-30-2004, 12:03 PM
you mean like, that other ide cable port on the mobo?

i can do that... i'll keep u updated, but since i'm bout to go to school, i'll do it later

THX :thumbsup:

nervouselk
03-30-2004, 02:27 PM
check to make sure the cables are pushed in hard enough, then uninstall the drivers and reinstall them. All my drive problems have been fixed this way, with any luck yours will.

Jb5k1
03-30-2004, 08:25 PM
wait, uninstall cd drive drivers???

if thats what you mean, how would i go about doing this because they dont even show up on the device manager, and i'm pretty sure they're pushed in enough, as that won't budge and i use as much strength as my hands will give off to push them in.

for the drives i took each one out of the tower then put the cable in them so i could push on the front of the drive

i dunno... thx

Jb5k1
03-30-2004, 10:20 PM
O JOY

guess what... (what?)

ITS MY MOBO.... i hate dells so much, i think thats gonna be my signature, a scrolling (if possible (it is on my game clan forums)) i hate dell sfm logo

ANYHOO, basically, i tried my hard drive ide cable in the normal port for the cdrom (or default installation one), harddrive failure

i tried my cd burner in the hdd port (default installation one again) and my primary drive was a cd drom reader

wtf, ok so should i tell my dad :
A) your dealing with dell to set up an appointment to get them to fix this piece
OR
B) i'll help pay for a mobo/processor/ram from newegg

???

sux dont it

o yea edit the first option, sit on the phone for hours on end while u do a diagnostic test and serveral other tests

Jb5k1
03-30-2004, 10:34 PM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-446&depa=1

hows that for a replacement, i think that'd b good cause i have shit ram and i can use either pc133 or ddr, but not at the same time

i hate replacing stuff and can i remove my heatsink from my processor without busting up the chip?

this thing has the highest heats i've seen

GregHess
03-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Don't forget...

Dell tends to use their own PSU connectors. Its quite possible connecting a Dell PSU into a non Dell motherboard will result in frying the board.

So factor that into the price.

Did you just buy another ide cable yet?

Jb5k1
03-30-2004, 11:37 PM
nah dude, its not the ide's

i used the 1 from the hdd and that worked (when connected to that port) so i think its the mobo ide thinger

anyway, i'll just head over to the local comp store for an ide, no point ordering on the web when its 5 minutes away there

the mobos are cheaper online tho

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.