PDA

View Full Version : DeepCore Texturing

abdul rehman
03-28-2004, 06:11 AM
hi,
I am a lighter and texturer in a studio and I am facing a very big problem in how to give a high res texture to an exta long road and pavement(foot path) on its two sides. Its a city lane with buildings and not cleaned road but to add a realism dirt and all that present in actual road.

Question interupting my mind are:

* is it important to have a texture map of 4equal size and not of like 1024-700. Because if I use 4equal size texture to along nurbsPlane the has to squash, even if it is of 2K.

* what are the techniques to achieve such hi res textures like done in lanes and streets of the movie "Animatrix-The Final Flight of the Osiriss" "Final Fantasy"

* are there some sites or tutorials that let me create my creative textures avoiding all these technical problems and only let me concentrate on the quality and life I want to give in to an enviorments or street lanes which comes very close to the camera.

Emmortal1
03-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Well when dealing with NURBS surfaces you are almost always going to have to deal with parameterization issues. The problem is that if the surface is not built to Chord length, the texture space will not follow the standard 0-1 UV range, which is what you want. Otherwise it could be a value of .3-2.9 or something wierd like that. This will cause the texture to warp and stretch along the surface. This is something that is very basic, yet very important to understand. Applying the "Fix Texture Warp" feature is a way of getting around this, but, and this is a big but, it does not fix the problem fully. You still have a surface that is not in the correct UV range thus the problem is not really fixed, it's only superficially corrected.

So how exactly do you fix this? Well quite simply, you'll need to duplicate the surface curves of the surface in either the U or V range, whichever is better for you, and then Loft them and choose Chord Length, keeping CV's, and setting the range to 0-1. This will fix the surface and no more stretching.

You'll always want to use squared textures i.e. 128x128, 256x256, 512x512 etc and this will allow for that to happen.

As far as putting dirt and grime on the sides, you can use combination of layered shaders and projections to achieve this quite easily so that you don't have such a uniform plane jane looking road that spans miles. Good luck and hope that helped.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.