PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 6: Jean-Claude Van Damme / Bloodsport

blackwash
03-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Simply the best martial arts movie ever ...:-)

http://www.dtm.at/Reviews/Bilder/bloodsport03.jpg

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/bloodsport.jpg

obelisk
03-28-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by blackwash
Simply the best martial arts movie ever ...:-)

hmmm... how many martial arts movies have your seen? was jean-claude in all of them?

blackwash
03-28-2004, 01:59 AM
quite a lot, actually :)
and no to the second question -I'm not really a Van Damme fan..

Bloodsport's just real different from,most martial arts movies, including the omnipresent Hongkong action flics (which I actually enjoy watching, too).
For a western movie, it shows extremely well choreographed and realistic fights, and the various martial arts styles are very recognizeably depicted as well.
After all, it's just a matter of personal taste I suppose :)

obelisk
03-28-2004, 08:56 AM
all right. i'll have to go back to the video store and check it out again. you're obviously quite taken with it.

how's the model going? keen to see something...

blackwash
03-28-2004, 11:08 PM
still very much to do, but it's a start..as of now, there's not that much resemblance to Jean-Claude Van Damme...
As I said, still much work to do

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40673fcf_185bd/bc/7215/__sr_/d41d.jpg?phi41ZABiKvEjus5

nutriman
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
saw that one a couple of times, not bad
but commoooon van damme sucks!!!
he can split, proves it in every movie, so what?
but have you ever recognized that he does
90% of his kicking techniques with the right leg?
what kind of a bad technique for a fighter is that??

i mean everyone has their stronger leg, most people use the right one more often.
but in a movie with choreographed fights there's no
pressure to use the better foot unleeeess:
he really sucks. so i guess he does.

it might not be so obvious, cuz the camera changes or
he makes a spinning kick but it's like that.

blackwash
03-29-2004, 09:11 AM
yeah, I agree with JCVD being a lousy fighter. But this doesn't change the fact that Bloodsport's a good movie.

Anyway, this thread is not about discussing the shortcomings of JCVD as a fighter or actor, so I would really appreciate any comments on my character.

Does the link work btw?
When I posted it yesterday it worked just fine, but it didin't when I checked it out again at my office now.

A bit off-topic, but where do you guys load your WIPs and other pictures up to if you don't have a homepage? Obviously yahoo photos is a bad idea, huh?

blackwash
03-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Okay, this is the current state.
Still no hands, but I'll add them tomorrow if I have the time.

One thing I found really interesting when modeling Van Damme's face was just how assymetrical it is. I know this is true for almost all people, but usually the assymetry is not that obvious imho.

....so no need to point out that the left side of his face seems somewhat distorted ;-)

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/v138/blackwash/st9.jpg

blackwash
04-01-2004, 01:04 AM
no comments?
is it that bad? ..........or that good? ; )

AdamAtomic
04-01-2004, 06:24 AM
the head looks too round to me, its not very recognizable. Also, his junk looks enormous. Now, the man may be hung, I can't say for sure, but it just looks a little on the large side. It may just be the shading style, but the body geometry looks a little off too. I think his legs might be too short? Glad you emphasized the thighs. Thats the only thing I ever noticed about this guy, his thighs are bigger than Chun Li's :P keep working at it, this is a good starting point.

blackwash
04-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks for taking the time to check my model out!
I'll try to fix the issues you pointed out.
As for the head...well, I think I'll just redo it completely. Has a bad polygon layout now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.