PDA

View Full Version : Image depth

Nicool
03-26-2004, 11:44 PM
Hye,
I'm searching for the method to render this kind of image. I'm going to put a TV set on the floor of a room as the only lighting source. I want (and its required in my art project) to render in depth (for people who know, as if you had placed a camera face to a TV set). How to? Any methods? Ideas? Note in my scene, the TV set will not be rendered from face (3/4).

I've a fuzzy idea, do not be influenced by it, need fresh ideas from you :). So my idea was to code a post render mel (don't know its behaviour, but I saw it in the render globals). A script that uses the last renderer image(s). Working with file texture (attribute .ftn), maybe layered textures, turn the 2d placement... A bit confusing.

http://ndhaussy.free.fr/temp/tempIMAGES/depthTV.jpg
Made with photoshop in two minutes

Edit : I was wondering... Maybe is that possible to render it working on the raytrace concept. I remember we can set a raytrace depth ...

1001 Thanks :beer:

uschi
03-27-2004, 09:49 PM
lil idea....

parent a 'mirror' to your camera and let the tv screen reflect too
set the reflection limit to how many repetitions you want (rglobals and shader!)

have fun :)

uschi
03-27-2004, 09:55 PM
ahhh here a lil qt from the effect

Nicool
03-27-2004, 10:25 PM
... Do not have realy understand how to apply your method. The quicktime you've sent is good yeaah. But how to, have you got the Maya (*.ma *. mb) scene?

uschi
03-28-2004, 02:13 AM
ok i try to explain it a bit better....

set your tv screens reflections up so that its a mirror
next step it to make a plane that works also as mirror -
those both mirror each other - parent this to your camera
so that it casts the reflections out of your camera position "it that what the camera sees!"... quit simple just reflect the tv in the mirror plane connected ahh parented to to your camera and your tv screen that has reflections too will mirror the image from it self

hope you understood what i ment, realy simple

else look at the attached file..

Nicool
03-28-2004, 02:38 AM
ok :thumbsup:

I understand it know! Good idea... and you are true, that is realy easy

danylyon
03-31-2004, 12:31 PM
I would.. render out an image and use it as a texture on the TV. Then repeating that a couple of times for every frame.

alexx
03-31-2004, 12:56 PM
hmm..

how about that one:
- render the first image by hand.
- use that image as a texture in the TV set.
- use frame extension and keyframe the number sequentially, starting with frame-1.
- now just batchrender the animation.
- the first images will still have low repeat values, but the higher images will have the full tilt in the TV set..

should look funny :)

cheers

alexx

alexx
03-31-2004, 01:31 PM
that is funny..
never mind the first few frames..

TV Fun (http://bigott.gmxhome.de/movies/tvFun.avi )

only thing is that you should render with smaller frame increments as it seems.. not enough recursions

cheers

alexx

Nicool
03-31-2004, 02:33 PM
Hummm... I've to work on to understand it right :rolleyes:
-I've the impression the image into the screen is squizzed... Uv problem?
-And what about the image adress (file texture .ftn?)

alexx
03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
just ask :)

Nicool
03-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Damn... I've edited instead of reply. Have a look upper ^

alexx
03-31-2004, 03:13 PM
yep.. my screen is not 4:3 as the rendered image and as well it is flipped, which you dont want for sure..
but i thought just for showing it, it is ok like that.
both can be fixed very easily.

concerning your .ftn problem: you dont need that.

i try to explain a little better:

- set up your scene and your animation. let the animation start at frame 25 around, not earlier.
- render the very fisrt frame and name it like the later images will be called, but renumber it by hand to 0. (e.g. tvFun.0000.iff)
- now assign a file texture to the TV screen.
- as the file specify the one rendered before (tvFun.0000.iff)
- go to frame 1
- avtivate "use frame extension" in the file node.
- set a keyframe (while still being in frame 1) for the image above
- go to the last frame of your animation and set a keyframe in the file node which is: last frame of your animation -1.
- if you have 100 frames of animation in frame 100, maya will try to load frame 99 of the before rendered images. like that you always use the last rendered frame as the file texture.
- now render (on one machine only of course).

- in the first 25 frames nothing will happen, but the recursion will build up (compare this to the first frames of my movie file, which has a gray TV screen inside)

- viola

cheers

alexx

Nicool
03-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Ok thx.. I'll try... :wise:

What I meant is that the in depth screens are squized/distorded. Not a 4:3 monitor problem... Have a look on the video you made to show me your method. So what's the problem?

Yeah I saw the grey screen at first frame ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.