PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Crossbows & Catapults Animation

wolfmanyoda
03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Hello all, thought I'd post something to introduce myself.
Here is what came of my last project:
http://s89810051.onlinehome.us/images/renderTest1.jpg

Too bad I didn't finish it, but I was inspired to do something else! I do hope to come back to it someday.
Do any of you remember a game in the 80's called Crossbows & Catapults?
You had a castle, some wall blocks, a rubber band-powered crossbow and catapult, some disks to lauch at each other, and some little plastic Barbarians or Vikings.
The object was simple: build the best wall around your castle and try to knock down your opponents castle.
So anyway, I'm going to try my hand at animation. I'd like to model and animate a battle between the two sides, but having the little plastic figures do the building/firing of the weapons. Yeah, it's sort of a Toy Story army men rip-off, but it sounds like soooo much fun!
So here is my start to the modeling phase, it's one of the wall blocks and a weapon disk. My next model will be the castle:

http://s89810051.onlinehome.us/images/CGtalkPic.jpg

I hope that by posting this I will be able to actually finish the project because I'm really bad about not finishing.

fligh
03-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Cool models, cool idea. What's the top model ;) an envirofriendly portapotty?:wise:

wolfmanyoda
03-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by fligh
What's the top model ;) an envirofriendly portapotty?:wise: :rolleyes: It's supposed to be a gamecube, is it really that bad?

dreamsgate
03-26-2004, 12:57 PM
No you did a good job modeling, textures would have made it more recognizable.

wolfmanyoda
03-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Heh....yeah, I know it needs textures.
But I would have to finish modeling it first ;)
I really wanted to finish it, but once I got the idea for the Crossbows & Catapults project, I just couldn't do it.
I tried to force myself to work on the Gamecube, but the work was terrible; it really looked like it was forced.
But that's not the point here.
I just wanted to introduce myself.
Maybe I'll make the C&C project a WIP thread.

actionfigure
03-27-2004, 02:47 AM
excellent job I must say. I really like your modeling. It looks very percise. :thumbsup:

wolfmanyoda
03-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks actionfigure, but I think sometimes I'm just a little too anal about vertex placement and it leads to spending too much time on a project.
This will take me a very long time:D I hope it's worth it when it's done.

liquidk
09-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Hello guys!

I'm really new in town. I saw your conversation on "Crossbows and Catapults" and I couldn't resist on saying that I'm in the middle of developing a pc game on it.

It's not much of a deal from the graphics view (because it is on Flash) but sure it will be fun.
Do you know whether flash games can be posted, or published here for review?

Thanks! :)

CoreyJAvitar
11-26-2004, 05:35 PM
That looks really good!
(I recognized the game cube immediately) You modeling looks awesome! stick with your project!
I am really bad at finishing projects too BTW.

Apollux
11-27-2004, 04:05 AM
It's not much of a deal from the graphics view (because it is on Flash) but sure it will be fun.
Do you know whether flash games can be posted, or published here for review?

I guess that game-related stuff suits better here http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

wolfmanyoda
12-30-2004, 04:42 AM
I'm really new in town. I saw your conversation on "Crossbows and Catapults" and I couldn't resist on saying that I'm in the middle of developing a pc game on it.

Hope you get your game done sometime soon, I want to try it out.
Here's my latest test render:

http://www.yodasworld.net/CandCpics/71TanGroup.jpeg

Still a long way to go.

harkyman
12-30-2004, 11:29 AM
That's some nice modelling. And I new it was a Gamecube right away.

You say you're picky about vertex modelling. What's the poly count on the turret?

wolfmanyoda
12-30-2004, 02:06 PM
2634 verts, 2966 faces.
I still have a little work to do on the back of it, but it will not be much more. I think :argh:

86point5
12-30-2004, 02:18 PM
The Crossbows and Catapults models look great (from what I recall of the game).

The only problem you'll have with the toys playing the game by themselves is in the realm of 'realistic physics'. The rubber band tension is stronger than the individual piece stability. I seem to remember having to hold down the catapult tightly with one hand or else it would flip over when pulling the arm backward.

Same thing with the crossbow. The piece was light enough, that if you didn't hold it down firmly, you wouldn't ever extend the rubber band. You'd just end up dragging the whole thing backward instead, never actually drawing the bow.

Of course, both of these issues would likely be lost on someone who hasn't played the game. :)

wolfmanyoda
12-30-2004, 02:28 PM
The Crossbows and Catapults models look great (from what I recall of the game).

The only problem you'll have with the toys playing the game by themselves is in the realm of 'realistic physics'. The rubber band tension is stronger than the individual piece stability. I seem to remember having to hold down the catapult tightly with one hand or else it would flip over when pulling the arm backward.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the physics of it. The game gave each side 4 little men, but for the animation I think I will use many more and have them swarming over the weapons to use them. Maybe even using ropes so more men can add their strength to the effort.
I don't have it all worked out yet, but the modeling is quite fun.

wolfmanyoda
12-31-2004, 07:13 PM
Here's an update:

Picture (http://www.yodasworld.net/CandCpics/73.jpeg)

It shows the models I have so far from a couple of different angles.
I just wanted to know if you guys see anything really wrong with them.
I know that I need to work on the rubber bands some, but other than that I'm pretty happy with my progress.
I'm going to try to get these finished before I start work on the little plastic vikings and barbarians.
Thanks for looking.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.