PDA

View Full Version : animating a building constructing

anthonymcgrath
07-08-2002, 02:03 PM
got a job on where the client wants us to do animate a structure building up in a brick by brick fashion. does anyone have any good tips on starting points here? here's what I've got.

-obviously, animated textures to start with would help out in the roof construction. I'd animated the internal supports building with fast extrusions and use animated txtrs (or just simply masking) to bring the roof surface over the internal support.

-another method I need to research is using particles and instances. If I can instance them so each particle is a brick, perhaps I can use a texture to control the visibility of each instance? if anyone has done something similar, can they get in touch or reply? I guess the advantage with this is its procedural approach and would help greatly on areas of large duplication with little differences.

-animated booleans are a third option.

-a recent programme called 'civilisation' was broadcast (uk). apparently it featured animated building construction heavily.
this is the kind of thing we want to do.

bentllama
07-09-2002, 08:00 AM
Ever thought of rendering it in layers and doing the effect in post?

DJMAD
04-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Im looking for the same effect, Maya haves a bonus tools scripts to do it, im looking a tutorial for 3ds max and respective scripts

scottiedoo
04-24-2005, 04:11 AM
I know a friend who built a house brick by brick using Houdini and procedurally programming everything even a random brick pattern shader and textures.

Although I am not sure how advanced you are or what programs you can work with. But I think maybe a scripting approach may be good. Depending on how detailed and how the building you are constructing is designed.

I think doing it in layers and fading and animating some parts in post would be faster like said above.

Any more details?

dantea
04-24-2005, 05:59 AM
I guess it depends on how you want the animation to look like. Frank Firsching has a cool setup in Houdini which takes arbitrary geometry and builds it up, piece by piece:
http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=108&versionid=108

It uses lego stones but it's easy to do bricks with it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2005, 05:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.