PDA

View Full Version : Ik handle stays put.

Iotrez
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi,

When you create a joint chain and add an IK to it, the ik handle stays put if you move the root joint or object that the root joint is parented to.

What should be done to make it stay with the joints, or does it matter if it doesn't stay with them?

Thanks.

modi
03-24-2004, 11:42 PM
depending on what u are trying to do. Most of the time u'd want the ik handle to stay put, thats the purpose of iks for animation atleast. If u want it to move with the root, then just parent the ik handle to the root joint.

CGMOJO
03-26-2004, 08:52 PM
There are a few ways to do this- Depending on the results your after-

One, parent the Ik hande to the first joint in the IK chain (or I think you can do it above, even to the root you will have to expiriment a bit as I do not have Maya here in front of me)

What I do is first group the IK handle to itself and create a locator (or show selection handle) for the group so that it's transforms are always 0 and I can easily grab the group (not the ik handle or skeleton) when I need to. Then I parent the IK group to the first joint of the ik handle heirarchy.

Something like that...hope it helps...

Two- you can also try, stick non sticky state under the attributes of the IK handle if you plan on animating both ways....

Iotrez
03-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the tips.:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.