PDA

View Full Version : Just a sketch: Children Cover your Eyes

Asorson
07-08-2002, 06:28 AM
http://www.erikasorson.com/misc/Lingerie_Chic_Small_02.jpg

Here is something I drew today to practice drawing females. I took some cues from Feng Zhu (http://www.artbyfeng.com) for the facial features. Critiques welcomed.

art7sayan
07-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Great body ! ...but try to work more on her face!

Anyway, post us more!!! :bounce:

wildsheepchase
07-08-2002, 10:13 AM
I could be wrong(and probably am;) ), but even for a stylized body, I think her waist is a little too short, and her neck and head are too small. They just need a *slight* adjustment. Otherwise, it's looking pretty good...you've got nice detail going. I think the way you've drawn the fabric is pretty convincing.:wavey:

Asorson
07-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the crits, when it comes to drawing women I'm pretty rusty. Art4Sayan: What kind of changes would you recommend I do for the face?

art7sayan
07-08-2002, 03:50 PM
:beer:

First, maybe that a larger head will fit better her body.
For her face, I think that more expression would be better...so try to make her eyes more expressive with bigger eyes ...maybe a lil' smile on her face will make the trick too!

See u!! :wavey:

Asorson
07-09-2002, 06:52 AM
http://www.erikasorson.com/misc/Lingerie_Chic_Small_04.jpg

Update: Some proportional adjustments, eyeballs (knew I forgot something :P), and a splash of color

Now that I think of it I should have posted this in the WIP section. Oops:wip:

jeroentje
07-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Hmm... odd... the body looks really good. Well proportioned. Compliments for that. Love the lining and the sketch coming trough :thumbsup:

Only the head looks like it has been sticked on, like a head on a puppet. That's because the neck is too thin.
You should also lower the head, including the neck. And I mean a lot. That way the neckmuscle, that goes from the neck to the shoulder gets a whole lot shorter and everything will look more natural. I think that will do the trick.

After that, you could try to get some lighting in, like light on one side and dark on the other, then the whole thing will come to life.

Just trying to help :beer:

Keep up the good work
jeroentje
Oh, and ehm... More women on cgtalk.com!!!

edit - Why should children cover theyre eyes?

Asorson
07-23-2002, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the crits guys, the head was off-center and the neck was definitely too long. Here's an updated colored version.

http://www.erikasorson.com/misc/Lingerie_Chic_Small_07.jpg

Rtv
07-23-2002, 11:05 AM
Love the end resuly.:thumbsup:

Asorson
07-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Well I've got lots of feedback about the face looking funny so I changed it

http://www.erikasorson.com/misc/Lingerie_Chic_Small_08.jpg

jeroentje
07-23-2002, 05:19 PM
Ah, better :thumbsup:
But still could be better if you make the nose more like a triangle instead of a square.

Psycho Ken
07-23-2002, 06:06 PM
Well i like her breast very much~:drool: but......MAKE HER SLIMMER~!! and that'll b very perfect~!
by the way work more detail on her face too~(makes her beautiful~)
Ken.02;)

Asorson
07-23-2002, 07:26 PM
Sorry Psycho Ken, no like twig chics ;)

I'll prob mess around with the face some more tonight.

Kirt
07-23-2002, 07:46 PM
It's coming along ... but there's still a few things about it that look odd to me.

The arms - almost mirror each other in shape and pose (even the hands), but the arm on the right (her left) is shorter. I suppose if you're trying to make the arm appear forshortened then you need to change the position of the hand.

The torso - seems almost dwarfish to me. Is she supposed to be standing or leaning against something with her behind? If she's standing straight up and down, then the area from her diaphragm to belly button needs to be lengthened. If she's leaning on something, then you need to add more folds in her dress near the waist to inidicate this.

The head - is still too small or has some other issues. General rule of thumb is that the face is the same size as the character's open hand (put your own hand over your face and you'll see this is true). The angle of her chin suggests that she as her head slightly tilted down, but the bottom of her lip and underside of the nose tell me otherwise.

Get a catalog from Sears or something like that and use the models in there for reference. Here's a pic from Spiegel that might be a good ref for the face.

Asorson
07-24-2002, 05:50 AM
http://www.erikasorson.com/misc/Lingerie_Chic_Small_13.jpg

Update:

-Enlarged the head and lowered her hairline
-Stretched the torso
-Scaled the arms so that they are closer to same length
-Shrank the hands
-Rounded off the chin a bit

art7sayan
07-24-2002, 06:06 AM
Yeah, that's really good now, you have done lil' update on it but it's just what she needed!:beer: She looks good now! :thumbsup:

Neil
07-24-2002, 02:35 PM
Shoulders too wide
Waist too short

jeroentje
07-24-2002, 03:31 PM
In some other thread called Why is this a critique board? Neil wrote some time ago:
(...)
Some people like oval faces, others triangular, or even squared, so the sides will always argue and say that it needs to be fixed when there isn't anything 'wrong' with it to start with! (there are plenty other examples too).
(...)
Even if you say, "make the arms longer, or thicker", they probably would have done it to start with if they wanted it that way.

Now Neil writes
Shoulders too wide
Waist too short

Neil, you have every right to have any opinion you like, but ehm... maybe Erik Asorson just likes wide shoulders and short waists? And it's his personal "style"?

jeroentje LOL

Asorson
07-24-2002, 03:40 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for the crits everyone, I think she's come a long way way. Far from perfect but I think I'm gonna call her done now so I can start on something new. I'll keep your advice in mind when I do my next chic

..erm, when I *draw* my next chic... heh heh ;)

peace!

kwshipman
07-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Where are the images?! I didn't get a chance to see the final product.

Asorson
07-25-2002, 11:40 PM
Sorry, I've exceeded my monthly bandwidth allowances at my site so everythings dead :\ Guess it's time to upgrade soon

Kirt
07-26-2002, 12:30 AM
Erik - you can attach the image directly to your post. See bottom of reply window where it says

Attach file:
Maximum size: 50000 bytes

Asorson
07-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip Kirt. Here is the final version:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.