PDA

View Full Version : File Formats in Maya?

johnnynightlife
03-24-2004, 03:50 AM
I was wondering if i could get some input on the most widely used Render to File Format? and some of the reasons why?

beaker
03-24-2004, 04:00 AM
It depends on what your doing with it after. Are you going to a compositor, editor, strait to film, quicktime, cdrom, dvd, video, etc...

I personally use iff because it is Shake's default format and the files are very small and compressed(lossless). Also it holds a alpha and a z file internally. If you were using Combustion though, people have had alot of problems with iff crashing it.

If I am working with AE or Combustion I will use .sgi since it is a widely used format. One format that is becomming more popular in film is .EXR since it supports just about everything and can be modified to include data like Normals, UV's, and it works at 16/32 bit float. We just need more apps to start supporting it. Not many apps support it by default but hopefully enough companies will bitch about it and they will add support.

There is no one answer true for everyone, it all depends on your situation.

johnnynightlife
03-24-2004, 04:13 AM
majority of my renders go into after effects, or photoshop for either post work or compositing. I was just wondering what all the other chioces were within the globals, and if i should consider using any of them:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.