PDA

View Full Version : [Delphi] question!

Galo
03-23-2004, 06:27 AM
good morning guy's,

am just starting out in Delphi, how is delphi doing at gamedesign ?
do mutch studio's use delphi as their main gamedevelopment app ?

i searched the forum and google but could not specific awnser the question.

-Galo

playmesumch00ns
03-23-2004, 08:29 AM
No.

C++.

Galo
03-23-2004, 08:33 AM
what ?

you mean there is absolutetly no single compan that makes their games woth delphi ?

-Galo

playmesumch00ns
03-23-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm sure there may be, but I doubt they ever sold one.

Mayeb "Snail Chess 2", wasn't that written in Delphi?

Sorry, I'm being facetious. Basically if you want to make games, learn C++

Hugh
03-23-2004, 08:44 AM
The number is certainly negligable (sp?)....

C/C++ is definately the most popular (95% (maybe more) of shop-sold games) - or flash for web-based games. Java might be used to a lesser extent.....

schmu_20mol
03-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by playmesumch00ns
No.

C++.

quoted for full agreement

Galo
03-23-2004, 10:08 AM
allright then, i mean.... c++ ... i tried it and it's way 2 much information for me, IMHO c++ is to advanced, i don't get a thig from that language because IMHO there's no structure in in, i know there is but i can't see it. so i tried delphi, and it suits me, but now i want to go and create games, with delphi, i mean it's possible, it's more easy to do than with c++, why not ?

Im not saying c++ is not a good language, it's the best there is to make games with i know, but you can achieve exactly the same in delphi as far as i know.

so why not ? cause the standard for the gaming industry is c++ ?

playmesumch00ns
03-23-2004, 12:13 PM
In short, yes. It's (generally) the fastest next to assembler. It's well-known, well-developed and well-supported in terms of libraries, tutorials etc.

I'm sure you can write plenty of games in delphi opengl, and they'll probably be great too. I'm just saying that if you're looking for a career, then you should probably learn c++

Galo
03-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by playmesumch00ns
In short, yes. It's (generally) the fastest next to assembler. It's well-known, well-developed and well-supported in terms of libraries, tutorials etc.

I'm sure you can write plenty of games in delphi opengl, and they'll probably be great too. I'm just saying that if you're looking for a career, then you should probably learn c++

you didn't said "if you're looking for a career", but that doesn't matter, i get the point....

thanks anyway

Antimode Siker
03-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Well.

You do need somewhere to start, and C/C++ might be somewhat intimidating for that purpose.

I would suggest you find some language you feel comfortable with and which you are able to quickly produce results in. Then you will be able to experiment with different kinds of algorithms and ideas without each one taking prohibitively long to develop.

If that language happens to be Delphi for you, then go ahead. In the long run you will probably end up having to learn C++ anyhow because of its flexibility and speedy nature, though. You probably won't be able to do everything you could do in C in Delphi. In particular I guess you won't be able to use third party libraries such as, say, somebody else's rag doll support. You will also probably be unable to implement algorithms which must be very optimized. Of course I never programmed in Delphi so I'm just making educated guesses.

But until the point where you really do have to learn C/C++, I believe it's better to keep your creativity unrestrained by keeping the development time short.

Good luck.

Galo
03-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Thanks man, just what i needed.

Im sticking with Delphi and im looking foreward to c/c++ and maybe c# but that's not really for gamedevelopment.

Tommi
04-20-2004, 09:20 AM
You didn't get much the information you were looking for :D

As your experience in programming increases, you'll understand other languages more. It's a matter of practice and time.
C++ isn't the language of choice for me either. That's also a matter of taste, but the guys are right when they are saying that C++ is the industry leading programming language.
But I wouldn't claim that C++ produces faster executable code or something like that. If so, the differences would be so marginal, you couldn't notice.

There is a page for Delphi programmers, it is called Project Jedi (http://www.delphi-jedi.org/). It's about translating the C(++) based Windows API stuff to Delphi (Object Pascal). There you might find some good stuff related to game programming.

Also take a look at Torry's Delphi Pages (http://www.torry.net/), there you can find many Delphi components, links and information.

Sure that most of the stuff doesn't fit into the professional or industry category. And I also doubt that you could apply with Delphi code at an existing game company as a coder. But anyways you could gain a lot of experience and knowledge by starting with Delphi. And if you feel perfectly comfortable with this language, then use it.

By using translated APIs you also get to know what may confront you when programming in C(++), because the identifiers are mostly the same.
C++ is not that complex. The only hard thing is getting grip on these damn APIs :hmm:

Good luck!

MikeHart
05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Delphi is used in several commercial games, but not as much as C++. Age of Wonders 1-3 is a good example. Very successfull.
Here are some delphi links that might be usefull:

http://turbo.gamedev.net/

http://glscene.sourceforge.net/index.php

http://www.delphigamer.com/

and so on and so on. Your will find much more links over there at these sites. Have fun, I use it a lot too, but also C++ and diverse BASIC dialects. If you want to go more the independent way then look at

http://www.blitzbasic.com

http://www.darkbasicpro.com

http://www.pyxia.com

At the end, the language is just the tool.

sundialsvc4
07-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Delphi is a fine language. I use it constantly, 'tho not for games. Borland also produces C++Builder, which is a fine C++ compiler.

When you're studying this trade, you need to study all of the tools that are in use; this certainly includes Delphi. It includes C++.

But... one is a "wrench" and the other is a "hammer" and over there is Visual Basic which is a "chisel" and so-on. You need to know them all. You need to know them well enough that you understand how they're similar and different from one another. You need to be ready, willing, and able to walk into a situation where a totally-new tool is used .. COBOL, FORTRAN even .. and be able to adapt to it and use it, without breaking stride. You will soon discover that once you understand the big-picture, they're all very much alike. (Well, Prolog is an exception.)

The tool does not determine the job. The tool is simply something that's used to do the job. You'll never be able to specialize in "just one tool" and expect it to carry you through an entire career. You can't turn away from a job or a task because "I don't know that tool." You must say, "...yet!"

As you learn, pay particularly close attention to what is being done with the computer, not simply how the instructions are given. While the instruction-languages vary (as they have varied considerably since the 1940's and 1950's), the nature of the work is surprisingly the same. That's what a big-picture-view perspective gives you. Develop that big-picture view.

Galo
08-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Wow, thanks so much guys...., i thought about it and i think another one of my poroblems is the fact i 'fear' c++ cause i don't understand it ..... yet, and delphi is so much easier cause i allready know Pascal, PHP and Java, so i know what programming is, but it's just that i don't get the logics in c++ one way or another.

Anyway, i'll leave ya guys alone, probably buisy enough allready...

Thanks again,
Galo

Mocksy
08-06-2004, 09:40 AM
I agree totally with Tommi,

I think you probably know already that using Delphi from a commercial games perspective isn't going to give you many openings however, you can use Delphi with Direct X and other games API's and once you have attained the knowledge of how they work you have half the battle won.

I currently use Delphi for application development but have also used C++ a great deal too and in all honesty, Delphi can do anything that C++ can do and just as quickly. Even Delphi allows you to go down to the basic windows creation level exactly the same as C++ does and also allows you to code assembler routines for parts that need optimization.

If you know one langauge already, use this to gain an understanding of how the games API's work first and then move to C++ if you want to have a shot at the commercial market. Having the hurdle of learning a new langauge and an API at the same time puts most people off from the start.

Good luck.

Galo
08-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Well, i looked evenrything trough and i came to another decision, im gonna take it all up with C#, i bought 2 books about it, one about the basics and on about game development, it's pretty impressive what you can do with it, and cause it's on the .net framework you can implement element written with any programming language to fit your needs.

Im learning it right now and im acually exited about it, it's a lot of phun.

Thanks again for all the replies you've helped me alot

-Galo

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.