PDA

View Full Version : HDRI in maya

whiteboy
03-23-2004, 12:21 AM
I am following this tutorial video.
http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/display_video_test.php?videoX=201

i went through this tutorial about 3 times followed everything exactly. But my image does not turn out like his. Here is my image.

onlooker
03-24-2004, 08:37 PM
I haven't done any HDRI stuff realy, but after watching the video, and looking at your render I'd say you have more light bouncing around than he did.
Did you use the same type of light as he did, and did you turn off your default lighting?

You know his may have been just like your also, but you may not be able to see it as well in the video....

whiteboy
03-24-2004, 08:49 PM
yeah i created the same light then i turn the intensity down to 0. But i just cant get it to look right.

onlooker
03-29-2004, 08:59 PM
I think If you look at the HDRI image one side is the ground, and the other is the sky. Turn your projection on your dome 180, because I think your render view is matched up with the leafy side of the HDRI image in the video. Also scale up your dome. The projection on the ball is pretty vivid I can see the trees, and it looks too close. Like the whole projection is covering just that ball, and not the ground at all. (even though I can see something on the ground) Or scale down the plane, light, and the ball. Give it all a shot. It could help.

Randolph
03-30-2004, 02:56 PM
I haven't seen the video tutorial yet, but could it be that your hdri image is mapped to both the colour and the ambient node of the shader of your dome? If so, try to map it to the ambient node only.

onlooker
03-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Randolph
I haven't seen the video tutorial yet, but could it be that your hdri image is mapped to both the colour and the ambient node of the shader of your dome? If so, try to map it to the ambient node only.

It's actually supposed to be linked to the color, and the ambient nodes. I went through the tutorial to see if it was a tutorial flaw, but I had pretty good results.

I could try again in red. I used blue like in the tutorial. I also used my own HDRI image.

popol
03-31-2004, 11:38 AM
you can do like that (sorry for my horrible english :hmm:)

1) go to render globals>mental ray > custom entities>Custom shader
Click on create double click on the name (File# ) in the attribute windows chose load your hdr image

2) create a camera go to his propertie go to mental ray tab and check the box near environement chose in the MR shader section the mib_lookup_spherical shader in his parameter type the name of your custom texture (be careful to type the same name)

3) go to the render globals check the final gathering box
(don't forget to disable the default light)

4) choose your camera (if you don't choose your cameranothing appears in the render 'cause each camera have her own environement and render

egoman
04-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Well, I haven't seen the video either, but no matter what they say, I'd recommend you map the HDRI-file to incendescence only, or better yet, use a Surface Shader and connect it to the outColor. Set all other values to 0.
And, just as Popol said, don't bother with that 0-intensity light business, just turn off Use Default Light in the Render Globals (you'll find it under Render Options).

Andreas Karlsson

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.