PDA

View Full Version : The Curupira, Znp (2D)

ZNP
03-22-2004, 05:29 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17242/curupira_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17242/curupira.jpg)

Hi, folks!

We just finished a short movie, good ol' 2d traditional animation, and I decided to share some pics with you, as our distribution service is really... uh... not good.

All of the more than 80 backgrounds of this 10min 35mm short were done solely by André Leão assisted by Paulo Visgueiro. The animation itself is quite something, in these days when huge 2d studios stumble...

The project had the cooperation of many children of a public school of Rio de Janeiro, who did give us feedback in the story and characters concept phase. This movie was done with cultural purposes only.

Direction was done by Humberto Avelar, who also did the character concepts and storyboard. It's very nice to have a director who is also an animator! He really knows what he is talking about!

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/cena033.jpg

Story is about a brazilian legend, the Curupira, a creature who protects the forest (guess he would be very, very busy in reality...).
For more information and to download a nice chunk of the film (almost 1min 30s), go to http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira

If you like it, I can post some more backgrounds and concepts.

Thanks!

picksel
03-22-2004, 06:36 PM
If you like it, I can post some more backgrounds and concepts.

:bounce: yes!yes!yes! I like it and I want to see more...:wavey:

ZNP
03-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Hi, tekila!

Thanks for your comment! Here are three more images, just for you ;)

This is a very, very large background done for a long camera movement. The unfinished parts were covered by characters.

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/cena123.jpg

Another huge pic, character was placed on the light green spot. Foreground branches were painted on different layers.

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/cenaGAG01.jpg

A detail in 100% of the previous image. Now we can see all the strokes that build up all those different textures.

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/cenaGAG01-detalhe.jpg

If you still like it, i can post some more.

And thank you for your kind words!

eupee
03-23-2004, 03:36 AM
looks insane, like a disney movie!

i was always interested in cell animation, and did some work experience at a place.

i like where this is going. you got talent fellas.

chainjane
03-23-2004, 04:00 AM
wo^^^

very lifelikeness!!!
good work, i like it!:applause:

ZNP
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi, eupee!

In fact, we had just the same amount of work a Disney style feature has. Each contour line is coloured, each scene has its own pallette, and so on. We have a very heterogenic team, and one animator has already worked in Disney Australia for 9 years (you might know him, who knows?!). Were does your cell animation experience come from?

Full time animators were 3 (including the director), with 3 others in part time. Painting crew were 2 (including the art director). I just did the 3d/technical animation. Nothing fancy, but still...

And thanks for you compliments too, chain_jane!

Two more concepts:

This one is a very early concept. Our art director made dozens of it!
http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/curupira-mogli.jpg

Another early concept, now with the "color mood" of the movie
http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/curupira-5.jpg

This is one of the main characters, which was inspired in great brazilian actor Grande Otelo (as well as a kid who contributed to the movie, in those brainstorm sessions in the public school)
http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/Grafite.jpg

More images and traillers in:
http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira

Thanks for your feedback!

keight
03-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Thank you for posting these! They're terriffic! Your crew did a wonderful job!

picksel
03-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks for having to place other works. I like to see these background which one sees that a few moments in the movie.
I think that they are very beautiful illustrrations. :bowdown:
I have only one thing to say: "Very beautiful work!!" :love:

:drool:

Flog
03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
How this beautiful peice of work has not been on the front page is beyond me. I love it.

Beautiful coloring and composition. Wow!!!

I'd love to know more about your studio. How long is this taking you?

WOW!!

Tuga_3D
03-24-2004, 10:43 AM
:bounce:

More! More! More!

Pibre3d
03-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Wow that is some very great work! :bounce: :love:

Âme noire
03-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Cool great work there :buttrock: :buttrock: :applause: :applause: Plz post more of it.

dimitrios_c
03-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Awesome work, can we see more, and perhaps a short trailer.... I've been thinking about getting back into cell animation and this is the sort of work that would motivate me to do it, if only I had the time... :hmm:

eupee
03-25-2004, 01:15 AM
this work is continuing to blow my mind, it is just the kind of style i love. I think the lighting has worked magic on these backgrounds...

the place i did work experience at is called Anifex, its in south australia, and they do stop motion and all that aswell, its a great place. the head cell animator (im not sure his exact position name) is Greg Holfield, i think thats how you spell it.

sizzlebits
03-25-2004, 03:42 AM
I love the style. I'd like to see it for sure.

Ac0rN
03-25-2004, 11:10 AM
this is just great ! ppl should post more 2d(hand drawn) animation on this forum

geart bakrounds and true disney style animation!

did you use any Maquettes for the animation ?

Flog
03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
bump
front page front page!!!

[TOY]Snoop
03-25-2004, 04:01 PM
This is amazing, what an ambiance :love:

Greets

olijosman
03-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Woou! great, I love it! awesome light and colors use! :bowdown:

olijosman
03-25-2004, 04:33 PM
I NEED MOORE! OF COURSE!:thumbsup:

ZNP
03-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Thank you very, very much for your cheerful comments! Well, here are three more pics:

A desktop painted on one frame of the film. Bigger version in the web site
http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira/images/desk1_800.jpg

Desktop painted just for fun, not much relation to the movie itself
http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira/images/desk3_800.jpg

A kind of "tree creature" (as the good friends in sijun forum used to call it), the original of this one is a HUGE file, as camera begins on the higher branches and goes down.
http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/cena035-35a.jpg

Keight, Tekila, Tuga-3d, Pibre3d, Âme Noire, Sizzlebits, [TOY] Snoop and olijosman, thank you for nice words!

eupee, I'll talk to the "australian" guy (he's one of the part time animators) about this place.

dimitrius_c, you can download almost 1min 30s in the form of an uncut trailler in http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira

AcOrN, one painter (Paulo) did a small sculpture of the hunter's head for fun!

Flog, about our studio, we had 6 animators (including the director, who also did character concepts and storyboard - 3 animators, among those 6 were 3rd party, half time pros), 1 painter (who is also art director) with 1 assistant, 1 layout guy, 1 3d animator (sorry, that's my fault...) and 1 compositing/story-reel man.

We also had 4 (3rd party) inbetweeners (who also did the clean-up) and 6 character painters (colored strokes in ALL characters in every frame!) Just look a color chart in the web page! They had to work!

There is a credits page in the web site with every name involved, all the big bosses and so on...

"O Curupira" took us an year, from scratch to film. From the brainstorm sessions with the children involved, to the output to film. Maybe it's just too much for 10 minutes of animation, but it's a nice movie.

Multirio does print, web and TV work solely for the city educational system. The animation studio is just a small room full of stuff and busy guys. No "movie magic" here, that's for sure! But the environment is nice, people are really fine and funny and we work in Rio de Janeiro!

If you liked these pics, please, give our art director some love in andre_leaum#hotmail.com. His name is André Leão, and he was assisted by Paulo Visgueiro (paulovisgueiro#hotmail.com) in the painting of these backgrounds (@ instead of #, of course). André is a very talented, extremely fast and hard working painting machine, and such a fine person that is hard to believe, just as young Paulo. I know they will find your support priceless. The movie was finished in mid 2003, but was never properly released. It ran in very few festivals, as we currently have few film copies.

Thank you, everybody, for your kind words!
Marcio Tatagiba

(for more pics and traillers, http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira )

GatorX
03-26-2004, 12:01 AM
:bounce: This is AWESOME, I definately want to see more

goodlag
03-26-2004, 01:41 AM
beautiful work

i love the style & color:bounce:

NinjaSuz
03-26-2004, 01:57 AM
Beautiful backgrounds.

I don't know how I feel about the character styles though.

CoreyArtE
03-26-2004, 03:52 AM
Do you have any more close-ups on the background images? Maybe even a whole picture of the close up, instead of just a fragment?

zan
03-26-2004, 05:29 AM

abie1
03-26-2004, 05:41 AM
Wonderful use of color for the forest scenes and the characters look very good as well. Good job!!! Is the film available yet?
:applause: :thumbsup: :love:

Dreamy Kid
03-26-2004, 05:41 AM
beautiful..beautiful..and beautiful. i like the color atmosphere :)

Flog
03-26-2004, 05:47 AM
Told you it was front page!!!

jud
03-26-2004, 05:48 AM
Inspirational!!!!!!

jud

FloydBishop
03-26-2004, 05:58 AM
Nice. It looks like beautiful traditional animation is alive and well.

rept0r
03-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Great work.
A full version of the animation is going to be avaliable for download ?
Congratulations.
Parabens pessoal o filme parece ser muito bom pelo teaser nota-se um certo suspense, estilo dos personagens muito bom.
Espero ver ele completo.

Joscci
03-26-2004, 06:24 AM
What did you guys use to paint the background?

Done by hand? or Digital Paint Program?

They look great! Love the colors.

:)

Chaos Maximus
03-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Simply beautiful, congradulations.

Please tell us as soon as you know how we can see the full animation.

AndHolzmeister
03-26-2004, 06:46 AM
I had the pleasure of seeing this feature short film at multirio a couple weeks ago, ZNP, congratulations to you and everybody involved, it is awesome, and it would be great if you guys put it up in the web for download! what ya say?

spm
03-26-2004, 07:21 AM
stunning! brings me all the way back to the amiga... very nice.

behzad
03-26-2004, 07:41 AM
How glorious, wow. Love it. So much detail and substance in your work. :bowdown:

olijosman
03-26-2004, 07:44 AM
GREAT, AGAIN! you use painter or photoshop??:bowdown:

mimo8
03-26-2004, 08:19 AM
nice too see so welldone and inspiring 2D work

... and this - as you said - in times where the big 2D houses are struggeling

isaak
03-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Oh men!!, simply, amazing!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Isaak

Antropus
03-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Wonderful work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Congratulations to all the involved people. Great to see so talented people from Brazil... a great pride.

Keep it up :thumbsup:

DimitriSafarikas
03-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Wow... Wowowowww.... Hey, can I borrow you for some days ? I need to do some textures for my school 3D short :D

I just love the mood of the backgrounds it's a piece of art by themselves ! Good to see that there is still a hope to work in a team with less than 300 guy's (Disney ? who said Disney ?)

Am I wrong or do I see that you're living in Brazil ?

fr3drik
03-26-2004, 08:55 AM
More 2D to the people! :applause:
Don't EVER stop doing what you people do!!!

ShinChanPu
03-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Wonderful, awesome, absolutely great work!!!

I´m very happy when someone shows this kind of stuff because it seems 2D animation is deathly hurt :rolleyes:

I hope traditional animation movies will survive :)

Keep on posting your next projects here, please.

KolbyJukes
03-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Very inspirational stuff!

I can't wait to see more.

-Kol.

graffb
03-26-2004, 09:40 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

gpepper
03-26-2004, 09:47 AM
really beautiful !

pearson
03-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Yes, I remember this from a while ago. You posted it on Sijun.

Very, very nice work!

Sempre gosto ver uma obra bem feita, ainda mas por brasileiros!

Parabens!

kiaran
03-26-2004, 10:02 AM
It's been a while since I've been amazed by 2d work, but this reminds me why I love the art form so much.

The trailer on your website is spectacular. Your work is brilliant and lively. The animation is a solid work of art. I'd really like to see the entire short. You must be proud!

schmu_20mol
03-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by fr3drik
More 2D to the people! :applause:
Don't EVER stop doing what you people do!!!

period.

Meka
03-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Wow very very nice :buttrock:
i just love them deep blue colors^^
terrific job

Guybrush
03-26-2004, 11:26 AM
amazing work dude...u really have talent....5 stars :)

deathblood
03-26-2004, 11:27 AM
:bowdown:
Oh my god~~
It's looks very well,I like this work~
what tools did you use to do it???

:eek: :eek:

devilsiojin
03-26-2004, 11:31 AM
:thumbsup: Hiya....many people say is the end of 2d,very happy to see still got people interesting in 2d....

Good i like it very much.!!!!!1:buttrock:

hesido
03-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Superb in evey aspect, in the still images.. I'd really like to see the animation! -edit- uh oh you've already given the link to animation, sorry-

My suggestion is, release some sort of trailer thru Emule, and give us the edonkey link!! (and the next thing you know is all cgtalkers here are sharing so the bandwith for download is distributed!) Heck, that's what emule is intended for, releasing your own files..

-edit- heheh you can release a special cgtalk behind the scenes thru emule, so my suggestion stands ;) -

Well, you guys should NOT work for Disney, you should BE THE NEXT DISNEY! :)

Tulkas
03-26-2004, 11:48 AM
awsome :beer:

is good to see some traditional stuff!

Goro
03-26-2004, 12:33 PM
This is simply amazing!
I really need to see your movie!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

stv
03-26-2004, 01:26 PM
what a lovely work!

very nice the color choises and the character too. Personal style and funny feeling.

bravo

kokillo
03-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Great work, I love the style and colors !:thumbsup:

Mentat7
03-26-2004, 03:09 PM
ZNP that is beautiful work! Very fresh, vibrant, and full of life. An extremely inspiring work! I will be sure to send a message to Andre and Paula to give them my regards for this wondeful vision.:thumbsup:

Microbe
03-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Looks amazing, and inspiring work too.
:bowdown:

You should check out Bittorrent (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html) to distribute the animation if you don't have the bandwidth, it works great and it's free.

little5points
03-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Wow! That's fantastic stuff!

But I wonder how well this character would be taken in the U.S. ?
http://www.sergioyamasaki.com/diario/Grafite.jpg

...especially by people who can't differentiate caricatures from racist cartoons? To some, he might be reminiscent of black sambo depictions.

Again, great stuff

siquier
03-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Your images are now into my "inspiration" folder. I am standing applauding.

azvin
03-26-2004, 04:24 PM
AMAZING WORK!!!... It reminds me a little bit of a kickass game called Monkey Island... Great illustrations!!!
thumbs up!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cgwolf
03-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Wow, Excellent animation and artwork.

but little5points makes a very valid point

Due to America's racist history regarding black people this type of character would not be well accepted.

Pentagramma
03-26-2004, 05:37 PM
As I already told you, beautiful work! Congratulations on the - very deserved - front page plug ! :beer:

Ainda aguardando para ver o filme inteiro!

b.Schulz
03-26-2004, 06:22 PM
wow, I'm downloading the trailers now. I can't wait. The stills look impressive. Congrats!

digones
03-26-2004, 06:56 PM
well done!

It's amazing to see brazillian "folclore" explored like this... what about "anhangá" it's in the movie??

um grande abraço!

Rodrigo

SilvioToledo
03-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Nice to see this good quality short from Brazil.
Talented artists and beauty background paintings.

Hope to see it on the movies soon.

Congrations for all the staff!

Hey, remember Patricia about that contribution for my animation book.

Chaos Maximus
03-26-2004, 07:57 PM
ZNP, make sure you guys submit some stuff to Expose. If you dont know what it is follow this link: Balistic Publishing (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/).

bonacha
03-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Great work!!!

I love you all.

BLee
03-26-2004, 08:56 PM
It's awesome. what can i say more.:bounce: :bounce:

MacSilva
03-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Awesome work ZNP! Superb!! :bowdown:

:thumbsup: Congratulations to you all!!

How cool is that!!... to see the Brazilian talent blowing our minds all over the forums worldwide!!!!

É Brasil na cabeça! Matou a pau, galera!!! :bounce: :bounce:

RockinAkin
03-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Love the color hues and style of the pics...
THIS is what modern 2D animation should be all about.

kjc
03-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Just the kind of stuff I love. Beautiful layouts. Well done guys.

cris castro
03-27-2004, 12:44 AM
very nice, the colors are just awesome.

vitorvilela
03-27-2004, 12:45 AM
YO!!! :bounce:

Awesome piece of art!! The movie is unique and very well done!! Congratulations!!!

PS. Tatagiba ... e o paintball???

Abraços
Vitor Vilela

PCollier
03-27-2004, 01:36 AM
This artwork is beautiful. Very well done I look forward to seeing the short.

DoLeeP
03-27-2004, 01:45 AM
I like it alot and ur work brilliant:thumbsup::thumbsup:

uhuru
03-27-2004, 02:31 AM
Your character design for the big lipped, sambo like character is very offensive. Too bad, because the animation seems cool. If you show it in the U.S., however, people are going to be furious. Most do not want to see people of African descent characterized in that way. Its completely unacceptable.

vef
03-27-2004, 02:31 AM
I wanna see the movie now :D

I like the colors as well, and the sketches rock :thumbsup:

XYZRGB
03-27-2004, 03:26 AM
Brilliant !! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

pearson
03-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by uhuru
Your character design for the big lipped, sambo like character is very offensive. Too bad, because the animation seems cool. If you show it in the U.S., however, people are going to be furious. Most do not want to see people of African descent characterized in that way. Its completely unacceptable.

Yeah, in the US you can't do a caricature of someone based on their actual features...that would be outrageous.

Personally, I'm very offended by his extremely tiny ears!

:rolleyes:

AndréNozawa
03-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by pearson
Yeah, in the US you can't do a caricature of someone based on their actual features...that would be outrageous.

Personally, I'm very offended by his extremely tiny ears!

:rolleyes:

The only people criticising this aspect of the movie are Americans.It is all about culture. Some Americans are too racist.Some black people in US discriminate themselves.It is sad to know US didn't get over this.
I don't have blue eyes or pale skin but I like the way I am.
What's wrong of having big lips?You are saying that people who has big lips don't like their own lips?You are saying the only people who will love this movie in US are KKK member?

Think about Lord of the Rings,so many caracters,Orcs,ghosts,hobbits,men,etc but none black people.Is Peter Jackson racist? Of course not.I hope so.

In Brazil we don't feel on this way.:shrug:

GARA
03-27-2004, 10:49 AM
oh dear, those pieces of art are just amazing :)

Icestar
03-27-2004, 11:08 AM
I would think that those characters are brazilian and not of "african decent" since this is after all a brazillian production about a brazillian legend.

DUCKORABB
03-27-2004, 11:17 AM
YaY! Man! :bowdown:
Great stuff you show! What soft You use for paint background? And, I watch Yours animation from site, this is professional work! Especially like me, riding camera across the jungle, how you make this effect? With which soft?

Sorry for my english...:D

Best regards for all CG bros!!!

DCKBB

AndréNozawa
03-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by uhuru

Who said is "African descent"?

General CG Talk Rule: Think before post.:thumbsup:

pearson
03-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Icestar
I would think that those characters are brazilian and not of "african decent"

You have never been to Brasil? A very large segment of the population is in fact of african decent, having been brought over to work the plantations. Unlike the US, however, it was fasionable for a plantation owner to take a slave for a wife. So there are people of all different shades of color in Brasil. the blood is really mixed; there are blonde people who have afros. :thumbsup:

AndréNozawa
03-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by pearson
You have never been to Brasil? A very large segment of the population is in fact of african decent, having been brought over to work the plantations. Unlike the US, however, it was fasionable for a plantation owner to take a slave for a wife. So there are people of all different shades of color in Brasil. the blood is really mixed; there are blonde people who have afros. :thumbsup:

So,what's the difference between "Big Lips" and "blond hair".
These are common aspects of many people.

Racism and Discrimination are in some people's mind.

Should large nose people blame Pinnochio? That's insane.

pearson
03-27-2004, 12:32 PM
AndreNozawa - I think you missed the point of my first post. I was not criticising the drawing, but saying it is dumb for people to be mad because the character has big lips. I said it was as dumb to be mad about the big lips as it would be to be mad about his small ears.

My other post was to correct IceStar who said you could not be Brasilian and of African decent, when in fact, may brasilians are.

Relax, we're on the same side. :thumbsup:

hpslashluvr
03-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Looks great to me. I personally don't have anything against cariactures, I mean, you have to laugh at the stuff especially if it's true. Like...it was sort of annoying to watch Mulan (being an azn teen myself) and have everyone in the movie with horrible accents or slanted eyes or squinty eyes, etc.

Same thing goes with Pocahantas (not sure what type of Native American she was) , Lilo and Stitch (Hawaiian), hell even white ppl are made fun of in cartoons made by white ppl. As long as the movie wasn't meant to piss off anyone to the point where they wanna kill someone, then I'm sure ppl wouldn't care, and I'm sure the kids wouldn't care. When I was a kid, I certainly didn't. I was always drawn by the quality of the piece of work and how creative it was.

If the lips weren't exagerated, etc...if the character didn't have it's own style and cartoonishness....it would be a very boring realistic (altho there's nothing wrong with that) work.

MacSilva
03-27-2004, 02:45 PM
As I said before, it’s a superb work of art… specially coming from Brazil. I am proud of you guys!! And I also encourage you to express your art the way you believe it should be... don’t let anyone dictate what is “right” or “appropriate”. But here is the unfortunate “however”…

However, since we are in an international forum which has lots of Americans… and since until the present day they can not get along with themselves and with diversity very well, hence this dysfunctional politically correct attitude toward everything, I would like to give my fellow Brazilians a “tip” to “be well accepted” here:

. Compromise your creativity and squeeze it in a box where you will try to please everybody. And do not picture an African-American person in any position that relates to submission, bad work conditions, inferior to any other race, especially Caucasian… and I think you will do pretty well here. Just learn with them… learn with Hollywood! Don’t you know that the “inferior” people today are the “Latinos”!! hehehe…. So, next time, when you have to create a Plumber (Hey Antropus.. hehe :0) just put a Brazilian there and our American friends will love it!

But don’t take this advice too serious hehehe… as our Brazilian proverb tells us… “If advice was something good, nobody would give it for free”…

Again… awesome work!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Zorrino
03-27-2004, 03:11 PM
I am an independent animator working in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Do you accept spontaneous collaborations with ur projects?

ZNP
03-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi, Folks!

First of all, thank you very much for your huge response and encouraging words! I read EVERY post to our team and this kind of feedback is a nice form of recognition! Thank you!

About the complete movie in the net, this has been discussed here, but sometimes our problems aren't just technical. Everyone who has bosses who has bosses who has bosses (this is not a typing error) knows what I mean.

I sure can understand that due to United States History, this kind of character will always be controversial. I respect that. Of course, I would appreciate if you could as well try to understand and respect other cultures and points of view.

This movie was intended to be a cultural piece, and used in Rio de Janeiro City public system. Therefore, it would never be screened in other countries (perhaps in a few festivals). It has absolutely no money purposes. So, the full comprehention of the film in its actual state was never a major concern. I explain:

The movie has cultural and educational means, but the Curupira legend is an extremely popular brazilian legend. Even among small children, in the north or in the south.

The racist content possibility has no sense (in Brazil, at least), because, as I stated in the very post this pic was first shown, this is a depiction of great brazilian actor "Grande Otelo", an outstanding actor (deceased in 1993), a reason of great pride for brazilian people, just as Pelé (Edson Arantes do Nascimento), the king of soccer, or Machado de Assis, one of the greatest brazilian writers. These three men had more things in common than the color of their skin. They are examples of exceptional human beings. And they are remembered by their quality, not by their color.

In Brazil, just everybody loves and remembers Grande Otelo, even more than a decade after his depart. A quick search in google will prove the similarities between the character and Grande Otelo. And it would be a fine opportunity to those who don't know him to meet one of brazilian's finest.

Also, The character is a character. It has a role in the movie, which is above all prejudice. He is one of the protagonists and the young children who collaborated to the movie supported this idea, even his appearence. Their endorsement alone should be enough for all of us. Even then, a team of teachers and education professionals searched for these kind of flaws in the movie, and approved as it is now.

Other reasons include: besides Brazil being the country with the greatest number of black people (and we don't call brazilian black people "afro-south-americans") outside of Africa, we have a huge number of foreign colonies (I'm not sure about this word in english, sorry), mainly italian, german and japanese. Probably people who came both before or after WWII. This explain why brazilian passports are so expensive in the international black market (I was told so, I have no relations to the mob!). You can look asian, be black, indian, blonde, red haired or brunette and still be brazilian!

My very own name, Tatagiba, came from the same linguistic group of our movie title, Curupira. "Tupi" is a brazilian indian language (among others, of course). In Tupi, Curupira means "child body". Tatagiba means "fire tree". And I am very proud of my origins, just like everyone else (I guess).

And if you could just take a look at our team, it would be so funny we would laugh for quite a while! We have a jewish russian animator, black inbetweeners and composers, an animator from Malasya who lived 13 years in Australia, a layout artist from Argentina, a 3d buddy son of japaneses and guys from all over Brazil, which is a very big country! Even people from Rio de Janeiro!

You don't believe me? Good! Come here and see with your own eyes! Chances are you will fall in love with samba, capoeira, or even a brazilian girl! Being so mixed, brazilian women are one of the most beatiful in the world! (and I said "one of" just to avoid controversy!).

Brazil is not a paradise. We have huge problems here. Every brazilian knows them. But racism is NOT one of them.

Want controversy? Well, the guy who did all background layouts in "O Curupira", Júlio Erthal, an exceptional artist, due to our low salaries, soon after the movie was finished, made a test and was admitted as a tax inspector in a nearby city. He no longer draws. THIS is something to be concerned about!

In the next post, I'll try to answer the questions and comments. Thanks for your support!

Marcio Tatagiba

ZNP
03-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi again, folks!

Here are some answers to comments:

CoreyArTE - An entire 100% background is likely to be too big to be post, since they were made to film media (big resolution).

Flog - You were right! Who would tell, front page!? I'm really amazed! Thanks!!!

Joscci - Painting was done mainly in Painter 6 in 2 PII 400MHz, 512 and 256MB RAM, 15" monitors, 4"x5" Wacom Graphire 2 tablets. At the end of the project we received Athlon 1.3MHz and 17" monitors. They are helping in the next project!

Holzmeister - You don't have to download it, just come here again! And how is "Mate" going? Will it be in Animamundi?

spm - I started with an Amiga too, back in 91 or 92! What a machine! Do you remember Shadow of the Beast? Superb game art!

Antropus - It's so nice to be have a reply by an artist like you! Thanks! E eu nunca vou descobrir o porque de tanta confusão por causa da imagem da velha e do encanador. Mesmo no Brasil... Você se saiu muito bem em tudo isso, embora eu prefira conversar sobre isso por e-mail. Continue seu excelente trabalho! Eu sou um fã!

Didou - You are right, we don't have a 300 people in our staff, that's for sure! And right again, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Tell us more about your 3d short! Yesterday I finished helping a friend with his school 3d short too! I hope next week we can post here some images!

hesido - Bandwith is not a problem now, but your idea is great! We have personal projects around here that will benefit from your post! Thanks!

Mentat7 - André and Paulo are incredible guys! You can even ask for advice, they will happily give. And they would be very glad to read something about their work!

azvin - Comparing this work to Monkey Island is the biggest compliment! Thanks!

Pentagramma - Ainda espero sua visita na Multirio, bem como imagens do seu curta!

digones - Anhangá is not in this movie, but who knows what will come next? hmm... ok, it's not in the next (it's almost done!), but knows what...

Chaos Maximus - What a great tip! Thanks!

bonacha - Visit us more!

Mac Silva - Valeu! And your advice is a fine one! We'll try to follow it! hehe!

Vitor Vilela - You don't have time for a Medal of Honor match, and wanna go paintballing? pfff...

pearson - Sorru about the tiny ears, we didn't want to offend anyone! (I got your point and I loved it! hehe!) Thanks!

André Nozawa and Icestar - Thank you!

DUCKORABB - The camera travellings were done by me in 3dMax. I'm glad you liked them! There are some more, longer and more detailed travellings in the movie. Wish you could see them...

hpslshluvr - Thank you, i totally agree with you!

Next to come: more images! Do you prefer concepts and storyboard pages or finished frames of the movie?

Thank you all for the great feedback!

Baskiat
03-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Graaaaande ZNP, blz cara? :)
Excelente trabalho, parabéns.

Very very good work. Congrats. :applause: :applause: :applause:

SharkyBlue
03-27-2004, 10:15 PM
AHHH! So cool! :bounce:

eple
03-27-2004, 10:28 PM
"Well, the guy who did all background layouts in "O Curupira", Júlio Erthal, an exceptional artist, due to our low salaries, soon after the movie was finished, made a test and was admitted as a tax inspector in a nearby city. He no longer draws. THIS is something to be concerned about!"

what a shame

:hmm:

swarding
03-28-2004, 07:36 AM
that shot of the trees is so awesome! Excellent work.

moroten
03-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Totally superb! The mood reminds me of the swamp scenery in Disneys' "The Rescuers". Congratulations on your solid talent!

Daniel Nygren
Stockholm, Sweden

MethodMn
03-28-2004, 03:37 PM
ZNP: I think I'll take the oppurtunity to speak for everyone and say, "Pleast post more of ANYTHING..." I would love to see some more concept art, character model sheets and possibly some rough layouts (pencils if they exist.) Any other finished backgrounds would be great too. On second thought, just send me the hard drive. :)

TheClick
03-28-2004, 06:34 PM
I agree. Post More.
This 'toon is so nice. Exactly the reason I want to save for the
Biggest Clearest HDTV as possible. And get this as a part of my collection!
You do Excellent Work.:thumbsup:

Plays_4_Pants
03-28-2004, 07:38 PM
At first I said, wow, these backgrounds are astounishing. And they are

I saw the animation, I can't believe how terribly slapstick it is...too bad, now i have no intention of seeing it. It's not the artists fault. It looks superb

airworks
03-28-2004, 08:20 PM
just want to say great stuff ! outstanding bdrops and artistic craftsmanship bud! cheers:beer:

luhna
03-28-2004, 09:20 PM
S U P E R ... very nice work :buttrock:

:surprised luhna

Palombasso
03-29-2004, 02:27 AM
A picture of Grande Otelo, the actor who inspired the controversial character...

http://planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/projetovip/gdeotel1.jpg

If this one doesn´t open and you´re still curious just go tho google and search foir "Grande Otelo" on images.

[]´s
Palombasso

DUCKORABB
03-29-2004, 03:40 AM
Thanx for answer!

Yours Camera travellings is really good, can you send on board any screenshot with wireframe scene?

Best regards

DCKRBB

morphine
03-29-2004, 06:27 AM
Uau, Tatagiba... fantástico!

Raramente eu aplaudo coisas feitas aqui (dificilmente vejo coisas realmente boas), mas esse curta merece ser ovacionado de pé!
Parabéns!

(e... gah, quem suporta essa palhaçada de racismo?)

PiledotNET
03-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Just Perfect, couldn't be diferent :)

You can count on me to feature this (again) at Redpixel's news.

Além de mostrar para o resto do mundo como se desenha, o Brasil está dando uma lição de cultura, inteligência e humanidade.

Meus sinceros parabéns!!!

LittleFenris
03-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by little5points
But I wonder how well this character would be taken in the U.S. ?
...especially by people who can't differentiate caricatures from racist cartoons? To some, he might be reminiscent of black sambo depictions.

Those are very uneducated, sad people. They are the same people that are keeping movies like the Song of the South from ever being released by Disney to the US. :hmm:

marciowski
03-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Rapaz,

Americano é muito excroto mermo, né?
Ficam uns punheteiros catando erros nos trabalhos postados e, quando não acham, inventam umas palhaçadas que vou te contar!!!
A cultura deles é a que vale e não largam a viseira de cavalo nem a porrada!

Ahn... Great work folks.
Forgive them, lord... They don´t know what they say.

Abraciowskis

ZNP
03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi, folks!

I have a few new pics for you!

These first two are very special images, since they weren't meant to be shown! Never! It was like a "concept for fun" stuff, but I really like them!

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com\images\cacador-adormecida.jpg

This is a very, very early jungle concept.

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com\images\curu-pan.jpg

A scene layout by Júlio Erthal. The final frame is in page 2 of this topic. Hope you like it, MethodMn!

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com\images\fig13_layout062.jpg

***to be continued***

ZNP
03-29-2004, 05:05 PM
***part II***

I would never post such a *****y image here like this one, But I did it just to please DUCKORABB! It's how I did the trees in the travellings. I also did lots of flowers and branches, leaves and so on. Wireframes of the camera view is useless, since it's such a wire mess! Trees were painted in a kind of isometric view, modeled, rigged with bones, posed the trunks and branches and then took a snapshot (snapshot function) of the mesh. This way, I was able to take 12 tree out of 4 different paintings. Texture mapping wasn't a problem, since I made so many elements, the seams would be covered. Lighting was troublesome, as render times were huge. Unfortunatly, I don't have a frame of the best 3d travellings (the one in the traillers is the smallest).

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com\images\fig16_arvore3d.jpg

Another concept of the Curupira. The character was in progress, as you can see.

http://www.sergioyamasaki.com\images\persona.jpg

As always, for more info, pics and traillers, visit http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira

Answers to comments coming next.

Thank you all for your great response! Your feedback is being trully encouraging!

ZNP
03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi again, folks! Comments on comments:

Baskiat - Ô, rapaz, você por aqui?! Quem diria! Valeu pela força!

eple - In fact, although Erthal is a dramatic example, it is sadly true. But I think I was unclear when I said "our low salaries". I was talking about the artists in general in Brazil. Erthal is in his 40's with 2 children. He didn't ever get much of a security feeling being an artist AND a chief of a family. Of course, this is his very personal decision and sadly, just like you felt, we just have to agree and support him. On the other hand, it's very common around here to have a second job or a lot of freelance work to pay the children's milk (and they drink it as there's no tomorrow!). But maybe it's just a common practice by artists worldwide.

Play-4-Pants - I agree with you, but the movie was intented for children! Look in the credits in the page, they are from 7 to 11! Even then, the animation has it's merits, don't you think?

Palombasso - The image didn't show up, but thanks! And since you are also from Rio de Janeiro, why don't you come here some day to watch the whole movie and meet the crew? It would be a pleasure!

morphine - Muito obrigado mesmo pelo prestígio! E realmente, o lance do racismo é uma bobagem. Já chega os maus bocados que o Antropus passou por conta de uma arte muito da bem feita. Mas se eu disser o que realmente penso vou acabar usando um míssil como chapéu!

PiledotNET - Obrigado pelo apoio e pelas palavras gentis! Red Pixel é 10!

Little Fenris - I totally agree with you. And I think it's our duty, as artists, to make human being look like something more than just handy primates. Maybe one day, who knows.

marciowski - Huhauhsuhauhushua! Mas não dá pra generalizar, né? Tem muita gente boa também... E o "Mate"? Mandaram pro Animamundi?

Thanks, guys! And I can't send you my HD, but... I can try!

More in: http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira

MethodMn
03-29-2004, 06:38 PM
ZNP: Thank you for posting more images ... ANY MORE ?!?!? :bounce: :buttrock: :bounce:

I'm curious what the running time and budget for this project was, you can reply in private if need be.

Thanks again for the images and I hope to see more. Very inspiring.

DUCKORABB
03-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi!

Thanx for post with wireframe stuff, I think You're too modest, this stuff i very good! And final effect is really great! It was very helpful for me.

Thx for all

Regards

DCKBB

Slurry
03-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Great looking artwork! Fantastic!
Let us know if you ever make the movies available. I'd love to get a copy of it!

~S
:thumbsup:

Baskiat
03-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ZNP
Hi again, folks! Comments on comments:

Baskiat - Ô, rapaz, você por aqui?! Quem diria! Valeu pela força!

Hehe, pois é, faz um tempo que conheco o site, e ja postei uma ou outra coisinha que to mexendo. Abracos. :thumbsup:

ZNP
03-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi, folks!

MethodMn, running time is 10min, budget was around 90, 95k US dollars. With 700k we could do a full feature animation, but find investors surely is NOT the easiest part of the job!

Storyboard and character creation took a month, animation took 8, 9 months, all 3d took 5 months. The entire movie took one year, from start to finish, roughly.

DUCKORABB, thanks for your words!

Slurry, If we ever get a way to put this movie online, you will know!

Baskiat, que coisinhas são essas em que você tem trabalhado? Fiquei curioso! Tá trabalhando aonde?

Thanks for the support, guys! Maybe next month I'll post images of the next project, which is nearly done!

Take care!

BartokDesign
04-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Noossa , faz tempo q tinha visto uma imagem e já tinha gostado
, muito bom . Gostei muito dos desenhos da floresta , é incrivel como ela parece brasileira sem forçar

maxrelics
04-06-2004, 05:55 AM
beautiful. I really like the atmosphere. Kind of dark, and interresting. I love it.

cheikhna
04-15-2004, 06:16 PM
That's a good job, good pictures and trailer, but there is something that hurt me :
the main character which was inspired in brazilian actor Grande Otelo, drawn with big mouth, big eye and stupid mind.
Tex avery 's cartoon has been censured for the same bad caricature of black people.

So please, thanks to change this bad caricature, it's really a shame for me.
From France, Cheikhna.
http://www.newline.com/sites/bamboozled/

LittleFenris
04-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by cheikhna
So please, thanks to change this bad caricature, it's really a shame for me.
From France, Cheikhna.

You are actually seriously requesting they change the look of the character because YOU don't like it? No art would ever get made if artists kept changing it to appeal to everyone. If you don't like it, don't watch it. (or maybe im misunderstanding your choppy english?)

Zorrino
04-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Come on, you can't take the guy seriously. X-D

cheikhna
04-16-2004, 07:53 AM
First sorry for my english, as I said I came from France( yes, I am not english).

Second, they must change the look of the character because black people wouldn't like it as jews people don't like the last movie of mel gibson ("passion of the christ").

Last but not least, your choppy web site www.littlefenris.com is very ugly !!!

From france,
friendly Cheikhna.http://www.newline.com/sites/bamboozled/

PiledotNET
04-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Anything else?

SilvioToledo
04-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey!

I loved the " Passion of Christ " film and I can't imagine there's any reasons for the Judes for don't like it.
It's a fact that the Judes leaders killed Christ and we can't change the history.

It's a fact that George Bush lied to enter on Iraq ( No mass destruction Weapons present, no Atomic Bomb ).

Several Judes where the Christ best friends. Don't you remember Peter, Paul, John, Mary and many others... ?
One Jude helped Christ to transport the cross.
Several Judes supported Jesus and the Judes still are the elect people from God.
What they want more?

About the cartoon film, I also loved it. It's really impossible they to change the character. The film are finished.

In Brazil people don't tend to be so racist. We are a pacific country with several different races in harmony. It's just a comic story. I know black people will approve it.

The hunter is a stupid white guy too and nobody will say it's racism with the white people.

I know racism is still present but I am sure it's not this case.
Anyway this is a discussion forum and it's always important someone remember us to be alert to these details.

cheikhna
04-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi cow-boys !

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SilvioToledo

"About the cartoon film, I also loved it. It's really impossible they to change the character. The film are finished."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a list of MGM cartoons finished and censored for the same problems :

"Bad Luck Blackie" (Avery; 1949):

CN: This cartoon is missing the scene where Spike sticks his head out of a pipe and appears with a Chinese face.

"Casanova Cat" (Hanna and Barbera; 1951):

CN: Tom breathing cigar smoke in Jerry's face causing Jerry to do a blackface dance is deleted.

"Car of Tomorrow" (Avery; 1951):

CN: The sight gags involving the Chinese and Indian cars are now removed.

"Daredevil Droopy" (Avery; 1951):

CN: Spike tries to get rid of Droopy by handing Droopy a stick of dynamite during Droopy's trapeze act. Droopy doesn't return to grab the dynamite. Spike jumps off the platform and bounces back up off the safety net and the TNT explodes in his face, leaving him in blackface. There is now a fake fade out after the TNT explodes.

"Droopy's Good Deed" (Avery; 1951):

CN: There are three edits in the version currently playing on CN. First, Spike getting struck by lightning leaving him in blackface fades out before the audience can see the result. Droopy's line: "Hey, Blackie, anymore babes in there?" after the wooden shack goes up in flames leaving Spike in blackface is cut. Finally, the scene in which the rich gentleman rewards Spike for returning his hat by handing Spike a seemingly endless stream of cash is trimmed. The two are blown up by a bomb which was planted by Spike himself earlier during the scene. Originally the two were transformed into black caricatures in tattered clothing. The rich man's cultured voice ("10, 15, 20...") turns into a stereotypical black voice who proclaims "...and two bits!" throwing torn pieces of money in the air. The scene now ends as the bomb explodes.
Video: The version released on THE ADVENTURES OF DROOPY videotape and THE COMPLETE TEX AVERY laserdisc set was missing the blackface results of Spike returning the hat to the rich man.

"Dog Trouble" (Hanna and Barbera; 1942):

CN: The version that occasionally plays on CN has Mammy's voice redubbed.
TBS, TNT: Mammy's appearance at the end was sometimes removed.

"Flirty Birdy" (Hanna and Barbera; 1945):

CN: The entire scene where the bird tosses Tom into the laundry and Tom emerges looking like an Indian chief is edited out.

"Fraidy Cat" (Hanna and Barbera; 1942):

CN: This cartoon is missing the scenes with Mammy Two-Shoes.

"Garden Gopher" (Avery; 1950):

CN: Spike the bulldog fills a gopher hole with explosives. The gopher pops out of the ground on the other side of Spike and spreads grease under Spike's feet. Spike lights the fuse and attempts to run away but the grease causes him to run in place. There is a big explosion and when the smoke clears, Spike is in blackface, doing a stereotypical slow shuffle. The scene fades out after the explosion in the edited version.
Video: Same edit as on CN on the laserdisc THE COMPLETE TEX AVERY.

"Happy-Go-Nutty" (Avery; 1944):

CN: Meathead the Dog paints a bomb to resemble an apple. Screwy Squirrel takes a couple bites of the "apple" without any problems. When Meathead attempts to do the same, the bomb explodes leaving Meathead in blackface to say: "Uh oh! He done it again!". The scene fades out as the bomb explodes.
TBS, TNT: Same apple/blackface scene was removed entirely. Also edited was the scene where Screwy sneaks up on Meathead with a rubber knife.

"Henpecked Hoboes" (Avery; 1946):

CN: George is left in blackface by an explosion after a failed attempt to booby trap the chicken's nest. This scene is shortened so the results are not seen.

"His Mouse Friday" (Hanna and Barbera; 1951):

Video: The version released on the TOM & JERRY ON PARADE videotape and THE ART OF TOM & JERRY laserdisc set has all the cannibal dialogue edited out. All the natives and Jerry's imitation were silent, even though the audience saw all the characters' lips moving.

"Jerky Turkey" (Avery; 1945):

CN: The gag where one Indian reveals he is "half breed" (one "half" an Indian, the other a businessman in suit and tie), and holding a sign reading "Heap Corny Joke" is cut.
TBS: Same edit as on CN.

"Jerry's Diary" (Hanna and Barbera; 1949):

CN: The exploding teapot scene from "Yankee Doodle Mouse" fades out early.
TBS: Same edit as on CN.

"Kitty Foiled" (Hanna and Barbera; 1948):

CN: The scene where Jerry and the canary disguise themselves as Indians to trick Tom is cut.

"Life With Tom" (Hanna and Barbera; 1953):

CN: The scene from "The Little Orphan" fades out early after the candle burns Tom. The blackface results are not seen.

"The Little Orphan" (Hanna and Barbera; 1949):

CBS: The scene in which a candle fired by Nibbles lands on Tom's tail was reanimated. Originally, as a result of the candle setting him on fire, Tom appeared shortly in blackface. The stereotypical results were cleaned up by having Tom retain his Indian headdress which was absent in the original version.
CN: The candle lands on Tom's tail but nothing happens. Also gone was the part directly following the candle scene, in which some airborne champaign bottles hit the blackened Tom in the back of the head causing him to fly into the cabinet of dishes.
Video: Same edits as on CN on the TOM & JERRY'S GREATEST CHASES VHS and DVD from Warner Home Video.

"Little Runaway" (Hanna and Barbera; 1952):

CN: The baby seal throwing a trash can cover at Tom causing Tom to look Chinese is cut.

"Little 'Tinker" (Avery; 1948):

CN: A gag during the scene where the skunk, disguised as Frank Sinatra, is singing to a crowd of female bunnies is now edited. As two girl rabbits pop out of the ground shouting "Frankie!", removed is the appearance of a black female bunny who says "Love dat man!". All broadcasts of this cartoon prior to January 2001 left this scene untouched.
TBS: The scene of the little lovelorn skunk almost drinking poison in an attempt to commit suicide was removed.

"Little Wise Quacker" (Lundy; 1952):

CN: Barney Bear and the sleepy duck are electrified resulting in a blackface scene where Barney sings "Shortnin' Bread" to the duck. The scene is shortened so the audience doesn't see the results of the electric shock.

"Lucky Ducky" (Avery; 1948):

CN: The small hunter dog is left in blackface after a bullet shell explodes in his face. The big, dopey dog does the same and gets the same results. The entire scene is cut.

"Magical Maestro" (Avery; 1952):

CN: Spike being transformed into a Chinaman and into a black singer are now cut.

"The Milky Waif" (Hanna and Barbera; 1946):

CN: Missing is a scene where Jerry and Nibbles try to fool Tom by disguising themselves in blackface with some shoe polish. As edited, you see a scene where Nibbles, held up by Jerry, spits milk into Tom's face, and you see them run away from Tom into another room. The next thing you see, abruptly, is Tom running face first into a frying pan that the mice are holding up in a doorway.

"Mouse Cleaning" (Hanna and Barbera; 1948):

CN: After the huge coal spill at the end of the cartoon, Tom originally came out of the pile of coal in blackface. Mammy asks Tom, who she thinks is a man, if he has seen a cat. Tom responds "No ma'am, I ain't seen no cat!" a la Stepin Fetchit. Mammy sees through Tom's impression and yells "THOMAS!". There is a cut from the coal spill to Mammy yelling at Tom and Tom running away.

"The Mouse Comes to Dinner" (Hanna and Barbera; 1945):

CN: The opening showing Mammy singing and setting the dinner table and Jerry sneaking across the table pretending to be an Indian is cut. The cartoon now begins as Tom pops out of the potted plant.

"Mouse in Manhattan" (Hanna and Barbera; 1945):

CN: The scene in which Jerry's head gets stuck in a bottle of shoe polish is abruptly cut short. In the original, Jerry emerges from the shoe polish bottle in blackface.

"A Mouse in the House" (Hanna and Barbera; 1947):

TBS, TNT: The scene where the two cats look in the oven, only to have Jerry cause an explosion with a match, leaving them in blackface was deleted.

"Mouse Trouble" (Hanna and Barbera; 1944):

Syndication: Tom hides in a package addressed to Jerry. Jerry begins to stick hat pins into the box and saws it in half. Jerry finally takes a look at what is inside and holds up a sign: "Is there a doctor in the house?". This was removed on some local stations.

"Old Rockin' Chair Tom" (Hanna and Barbera; 1948):

CN: The version which runs on CN has Mammy's voice redubbed and a line of dialogue shortened. In the original version, Mammy said "Take care of old Uncle Tom," this line was shortened to "Take care of old Tom."

"Part-Time Pal" (Hanna and Barbera; 1947):

CN: Mammy's voice is redubbed. Some of her dialogue was changed in the process. In the original, she says in one scene "Well slap my face if this ain't a mess!", but in the redubbed, she says "Well I'll be darned. This is such a mess!" Other oddities in the Cartoon Network version included the muting out of Tom's "One for the money, two for the show..." at the end, before drenching Mammy with a jug of water.

"Puss N' Toots" (Hanna and Barbera; 1942):

CN: The Chinese gag on the record player, where a record lands on Tom's head making him look Chinese followed by Jerry mockingly imitating his foe's predicament, is edited.
Syndication: The scenes at the beginning featuring Mammy were removed on some local stations.

"Puss Gets the Boot" (Hanna and Barbera; 1940):

CN: Mammy's voice has been redubbed in the version on Cartoon Network. In the original, Mammy said "O-W-T...Out!" in this edited version, she spells it correctly ("O-U-T").

"Red Hot Riding Hood" (Avery; 1943):

TBS, TNT: In the end, the Wolf, after his bad experience chasing the girl earlier in the cartoon, says that if he ever looks at another babe he'll kill himself. At that moment, Red Hot Riding Hood appears on stage and the Wolf takes out two guns and shoots himself in the head. He drops dead and the ghost of the Wolf comes back to whistle at Red. The cut occurred so we didn't see the Wolf shooting himself.

"Safety Second" (Hanna and Barbera; 1950):

TNT: The cartoon ended abruptly after Jerry blew on a noisemaker in which Nibbles had hidden a 4th of July firecracker. After the explosion, Jerry was left in blackface.

"Saturday Evening Puss" (Hanna and Barbera; 1950):

TNT: The version that played on TNT was very unusual. It featured footage of the young white lady which was animated to replace footage of Mammy. However, Mammy's original voice was heard on the soundtrack!
Video: The version with the young white lady voiced by June Foray was released on the videotape THE VERY BEST OF TOM & JERRY and THE ART TOM & JERRY laserdisc set. Jerry's rant to Tom about the noisy music that Tom and his friends are making was silent. In the original, Jerry starts yelling what sounded like "I'm trying to get some sleep and youse guys are out here goin' BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!"

"Trap Happy" (Hanna and Barbera; 1946):

Syndication: A scene where a cat accidentally misses Jerry and chops off Tom's tail with an ax was cut.

"The Truce Hurts" (Hanna and Barbera; 1948):

CN: The passing meat truck splashes mud on Tom, Jerry, and Spike. This leaves the trio in blackface for a few seconds which are now cut.

"The Two Mouseketeers" (Hanna and Barbera; 1952):

Syndication: The ending where it is suggested that the king beheaded Tom offscreen was cut.

"T.V. of Tomorrow" (Avery; 1953):

TNT: The TV set that prevents guests from adjusting the knobs by shooting that person in the head was cut.

"What Price Fleadom" (Avery; 1948):

CN: The scene in which the dog, saddened by what he believes is the loss of his flea friend, is about to commit suicide with two guns pointed to his head, a noose around is neck, and standing on top of a giant bomb is cut.

"Yankee Doodle Mouse" (Hanna and Barbera; 1943):

CN: Tom in blackface as a result of an exploding teapot is removed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheikhna

LittleFenris
04-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by cheikhna
Last but not least, your choppy web site www.littlefenris.com is very ugly !!!

From france,
friendly Cheikhna

wow, personal attacks...thats pretty mature (especially considering I made no attacks at you). and yeah, that site design is like 3 years old now, I'm just too lazy to update it. It's sad to see people in the world as narrow minded as you. :shrug:

cheikhna
04-16-2004, 05:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by little fenris
It's sad to see people in the world as narrow minded as you.

Thanks little boy.:applause:
just take a look of this web site ! (http://www.newline.com/sites/bamboozled/ ) then you can maybe understand what is sad.
friendly cheikhna

Cityboy
04-16-2004, 10:06 PM
I know I will receive a little backlash from this comment from certain individuals but I will say it anyway. This is great animation but being an ethnic person myself I wonder what nationality is the little guy. Where Warner Brothers ended that type of look for ethnic races (large pink lips) these animators picked it right back up. I am assuming these guys are overseas because that would not be allowed in the US at least not on the major networks. Peace!

ZNP
04-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi, Folks!

BartokDesign, estudamos muitas fotos e vídeos e fizemos dezenas de desenhos conceituais antes de botar as mãos na massa! Legal que você tenha reconhecido a brasilidade da floresta!

Cheikhna, si vous voyez une photo de Grande Otelo, vous voyerez la ressemblance avec notre personnage. Cette caricature n'est pas simplement un dessin, mais aussi une hommage. En plus, Grande Otelo avait des gros lèvres et yeux! Et vous n'a même pas vu le film, pour dire que le compagnon du chaseur est stupide! Il n'est pas!

À la page 7 de ce sujet, j'ai tout expliqué sur la question du racisme. Même après cela, si vous ne changer pas d'avis, sachez, au moins, que nous ne voudrions offenser personne.

Le film français "Le Pornographe", 2001, de Bertrand Bonello, m'a beaucoup choqué, mais il a reçu demandes d'interdiction autant que compliments. Vive la différence!

J'ai déjà vu quelques films de Spike Lee, et je pense que sa vision est un point de vue très particulier. Au Brésil, ses films ne sont pas très connus, parce que la realité que Spike Lee montre ne trouve pas une correspondance. Les choses sont bien différentes là.

Macunaíma est le plus célèbre film de Grande Otelo. Le héros est paresseux et un escroc. Il est né dans la forêt, noir et devient blanc. Plus tard, il voyage et se mélange avec des personnages comme des guerrilleras et des prostituées. Au fin, il revient à forêt et disparaître. Ce film, tourné en 1969, est très connu même aujourd'hui par sa importance au cinéma brésilien. Comme il serait reçu dehors Brésil en 2004? Avec respect et compréhension par se contexte historique (nous étions dans une violente dictature à cette époque) ou intolérance?

Je comprends que en France, à cause de la colonisation de plusiers pays d'Afrique, comme Argélie, Tunisie, Maroc, Congo, Chad et Djibouti, par exemple, le thème du racisme soit bien sensible. L'exposition coloniale de 1931 a Paris a été un épisode honteux et répugnant. Malheuresement, l'humanité a peu changée. A nous de la faire changer. Peu a peu, pixel a pixel.

Grande Otelo a souffert un infarctus et est mort en 1993, quand il allait a Paris, recevoir un prix au Festival de Nantes. Les français l'aimaient aussi.

LittleFenris, I had never seen your page before, but I did it now and I loved it! The wolf painting is very powerful. The animal is trully majestic, as you said! Congratulations! What are you doing now? If the page is three years old, what about your newer works? Feel free to private mail me!

gstapleton, I told everything about the racism issue in page 7 of this thread, but just in case you won't read it (It's just a mouse click from here! Go! I can wait! hehe!), this movie is brazilian and will never be screened abroad (but in festivals). Read my text in page 7 to know why.

We are not concerned about censorship anymore. We had enough of it from 1964 until 1985, when the military ruled (ruined) our country. We are looking forward now.

Just read page 7! And there are more artworks in pages 2 and 8!

Thanks for your time and attention!

More in: http://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/juroquevi/ocurupira/

Xakep_INC
04-19-2004, 12:48 PM
This whole animation is very nice!

And, LittleFenris, your site is good. Although it doesn't have a super cool modern design, the art on it is very good.

LittleFenris
04-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Xakep_INC
And, LittleFenris, your site is good. Although it doesn't have a super cool modern design, the art on it is very good.

Thanks. I really do need to redo the site...its quite out of date. :wip: Although the art is all that should truely matter! :cool:

yq13328858
05-17-2004, 05:37 PM
I like it that he draw picture of color
Beatifully!!!!:bounce: :thumbsup: :buttrock: ::wip:

calango
07-19-2004, 09:30 PM
ai,
eu vi o filme aqui em brasília e curti muito.
pq vc num coloca uma imágem do curupira do filme ai pra galera ver?

flow

yq13328858
07-20-2004, 04:37 PM
I love the styleI love the style. I'd like to see it for sure.

yq13328858
07-20-2004, 04:38 PM
I love the style:bounce:

yq13328858
07-20-2004, 04:39 PM
I love the style:applause:

TheNeverman
07-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Hmmm, yah think he loves the style?

n8

ZNP
07-22-2004, 06:34 PM
yq13328858, thanks for your nice words! It's good to know you loved the style! hehe!

Calango, Obrigado! Mas botar uma imagem do Curupira entregaria um pouco o filme, né?

TheNeverman, I agree with you! hehe!

About the movie, it's has been running a few animation festivals, earned two prizes in Brasil and had his participation denied in more festivals then the ones he took part. Well, life goes on. This month we are finishing production of the next short "O Boto". A lot more colors, backgrounds, 3d, music and action!

Soon on CGTalk! hehe!

Thanks for your support!

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 12:48 PM
HMM-- Simply GREAT!!:scream:

Naomi
05-16-2005, 11:42 AM
nossa!! sensacional!! :D :D :D

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2005, 11:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.