PDA

View Full Version : The new Doctor Who is...

geoffr
03-20-2004, 10:08 PM
A thread a while ago was discussing this so it's final, the new Doctor Who is Christopher Eccleston.
Very good actor!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/cult/news/drwho/2004/03/20/10073.shtml

s0real
04-02-2004, 08:11 AM
cool!

i think he'll make a pretty good doctor.

xynaria
04-02-2004, 10:13 AM
good actor but sorry.. no Dr Who..they've all been crap since Tom Baker and this unfortunately seems like being likewise.

s0real
04-02-2004, 10:17 AM
why do you say that?

do you know something that we dont?

i think i'll wait and see what it's like before judging it...

xynaria
04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
I actually hope I'm wrong because I like Christopher Eccleston.. but I also like Peter Davidson though IMHO he made a crap Dr Who.
For many Tom Baker set a benchmark for the role, as in a different way did William Hartnell and in differing degrees Patrick Troughton and John Pertwee. I know we're dealing with acting but the actors own physicallity does bring a lot to a role and I can't quite see Chris having a natural quirkiness or off kilter authority that makes the role 'credible' if you can use that term in this context. :)

s0real
04-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I actually hope I'm wrong because I like Christopher Eccleston.. but I also like Peter Davidson though IMHO he made a crap Dr Who.
For many Tom Baker set a benchmark for the role, as in a different way did William Hartnell and in differing degrees Patrick Troughton and John Pertwee. I know we're dealing with acting but the actors own physicallity does bring a lot to a role and I can't quite see Chris having a natural quirkiness or off kilter authority that makes the role 'credible' if you can use that term in this context. :)

blimey!

i'll get my coat (and hat and scarf) ;)

Clanger
04-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Well I'll hope for the best and let them do their stuff before judging. I'm not familiar with Christopher Eccleston just looked at the list of things he's been in and I haven't seen one of them!
I stopped watching Doctor long ago, Troughton was my image of the doctor so I find it hard to picture him as anything but old, 40 just seems to young, but hey I'll go with it.

gabe28
04-02-2004, 06:15 PM
man... I hate to dog on a show that obviously has a huge fan base...

BUT....

When it comes to Dr. Who....

I

JUST

DON"T

GET

IT!!!!!

What does ANYONE see in that show!?!??! I've never been able to make it through a single episode?!? SOMEONE please explain this show's popularity!!

xynaria
04-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by gabe28

What does ANYONE see in that show!?!??! I've never been able to make it through a single episode?!? SOMEONE please explain this show's popularity!!

ROFPML

I think it's a 'growing up with it' type thing..LOL I find the fan base baffling too though as a kid I was addicted to it.. well even then it seemed very silly and hokey often as not..but then the British are all reared on seriously dodgy Sci fi though Blakes 7 at least had Paul Darrow and Jaqueline Pearce as distractions.....mmnn Paul Darrow might be slightly too old now and perhaps too cynical but would definately have made an interesting Dr Who.

NanoGator
04-02-2004, 09:25 PM

Besides being imaginative and entertainingly well written?

That's the nice thing about low budget shows, they have to focus more on making the story appealing and original than on trying to build up to the neatest whizbang fx shot.

gabe28
04-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Besides being imaginative and entertainingly well written?
Well, I guess you're seeing something I'm not. Fair enough.

NanoGator
04-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Well, I guess you're seeing something I'm not. Fair enough.

Maybe you're not looking at it the right way? Maybe you're seeing it as "prove to me it doesn't suck" as opposed to "what cool things can I find here?"

I hope that doesn't come off as an insult, I don't mean it to be. I'm just remembering a mistake I made once. I *hated* the first Austin Powers movie. I just didn't get it the first time around. It wasn't until I watched it with a friend that I understood the appeal of it. Now I make a point of seeing hte movies as they come along. It was basically a matter of seeing it the wrong way. That sorta make sense?

gabe28
04-03-2004, 12:40 AM
Maybe you're not looking at it the right way? Maybe you're seeing it as "prove to me it doesn't suck" as opposed to "what cool things can I find here?"
I see your point. But believe me, I TRIED to like that show when I was younger. Really wanted too. I love science fiction but to me it just seemed bad. Really bad. I honestly don't see what others see in it. Usually if something's popular, even if I don't like it, I can at least get what other people see about it. In this case I just don't get it.

In all fairness though, it has been many years since I saw it. Perhaps as an adult I'd find it more enjoyable.... but I don't know...

halo
04-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Christopher Eccleston stated that the major influence for accepting the role was the quality of the script writing...considering his past performances and roles, that would indicate something beyond where Dr.Who left off in terms of depth perhaps.

AJ
04-03-2004, 12:37 PM
I heard that he just really liked scarves...

xynaria
04-03-2004, 01:22 PM
... and of course really none of this is really important.. cos what we really all want to know is...........

who's going to be the assistant!!!!!!! :p

JoeBananas
04-03-2004, 01:47 PM
I've heard its going to be Billie Piper, not sure good how she'll be, but a mate saw her in a play recently and he said she was pretty good.

parallax
04-03-2004, 02:08 PM
And Stephen Hawking as the Daleks.

AJ
04-03-2004, 04:43 PM

That is wrong.

Just wrong....

:surprised

He'll be Davros.

xynaria
04-03-2004, 05:18 PM
......ah.......so it'll be Kimi Raikonnen as the cybermen innit...........

rebo
04-04-2004, 06:14 AM

I know its not right but i really did burst out laughing :applause: :D :bowdown:

parallax
04-04-2004, 10:29 AM
After the Simpsons, he wanted a part that would put him on the A-list of actors.

I mean, come on, no REAL actor has ever appeared in that blasphemous show..

:bowdown:

The14thDoctor
04-04-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm certainly excited about the choice for the new Doctor. I just saw '28 Days Later' and thought he was brilliant.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.