PDA

View Full Version : Modeling suggestions for Ltw

studiomiguel
01-28-2002, 06:22 AM
Hey guys,
I am modeling a creature head that has some small horns protruding from the skull. I want to create a crusty, bubbley kind of effect where the horn meets the skull. Any suggestions as to how I should accomplish this? My immediate thoughts are to do it with bump and color maps. But, as this is a piece for my demo reel featuring my modeling abilities I want to accomplish as much as possible with geometry.
I am working in Lightwave 7.
What do you think?
Michael

ToddD
01-28-2002, 09:17 PM
I think you've answered your own question. I would think bump map for the bubbley effect. Modeling something like that would be a waste of time and polys IMO. Use every tool at your disposal, you can achieve the effect in a fraction of the time with a map, that is why they are useful. =)

meloncully
01-31-2002, 06:19 AM
the only way i could think of doing this is to use metaballs or something to make two little interconnected bubbles the array them around the horn or make spheres of different sizes around the horns and do a merge type thing so they look like they are merging into the horns.

________
meloncully

studiomiguel
01-31-2002, 01:41 PM
This may sound a little stupid:
What is a Metaball?
I would like to mention that I've been working with Lightwave for about a year and a half. At school they teach StudioMax and I am a Mac guy... meaning I have Macs galore at home. Hence I moved to Lightwave for my education. I miss little points like metaballs. I always thought a metaball was the same thing as a sub-d object.
clarification porfavor..
Thanks

pensart
01-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Mig,

Lightwave also has metaballs, but then again, i dont think its a good solution, i would start out with making the horn, beveling from a six point cirkel, then at the bottom of the horn bevel outwards and use the magnet tool to get the bumps, damn its difficult to explain by words...

if u like i model an example for u, mail me private..
:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.