PDA

View Full Version : Normal map Tutorial - creating and using them in Max

bcloward
03-19-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm new to this forum. I've been interested in normal maps for about a year now. Ive done a lot of research on the web. It seems like there are a lot of questions about it here on CgTalk and else where. I wanted to try to help explain things so I've written a tutorial on my web site that explains what normal maps are, gives step by step instructions on how to create them using Photoshop and/or 3DS Max, and also describes how to use per-pixel lighting to view them applied to your model. Here's the URL:

http://www.monitorstudios.com/bcloward/tutorials_normal_maps1.html

At the end of the tutorial I've included a list of links to all kinds normal mapping information that I've found all over theweb.

Give it a read and tell me what you think.

Hyphen
03-31-2004, 08:50 AM
awesome tutorial. i'm still only on the 3rd chapter, but it's the first tutorial that i've actually enjoyed reading in a long time, haha. keep up the good work!

bcloward
03-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the great compliment. I'm glad you like it! If you run into anything you have trouble with or if I haven't written something clearly, post it and I'll see if I can make some improvements.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.