PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Suggestions?

studiomiguel
01-28-2002, 06:21 AM
Hey guys,
I am modeling a creature head that has some small horns protruding from the skull. I want to create a crusty, bubbley kind of effect where the horn meets the skull. Any suggestions as to how I should accomplish this? My immediate thoughts are to do it with bump and color maps. But, as this is a piece for my demo reel featuring my modeling abilities I want to accomplish as much as possible with geometry.
What do you think?
Michael

Chewey
01-28-2002, 10:51 AM
do you have a reference shot of some similar real world examples of the crusty and bubbly look you're talking about? Normally I'd go for doing it with textures, bump maps etc, but if the geometry is rather large and predominant then you'd probably need to build it out of geometry.

gryn
01-28-2002, 12:57 PM
you could probably use a simple bumb map for a subtle effect around the base of the horn, or perhaps use hypervoxels surface to get a bubble-ish surfcace.

you could also use the nifty "kite" method to add geometry to a localized area without increasing the resolution of the entire mesh and perhas extrude or smooth-shift polygons from there.

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/5533.html?999717480

studiomiguel
01-28-2002, 01:00 PM
Good point Chewey. Reference. What was I thinking? I think I've been in front of this monitor Waaaay too long. After looking at some of my reference, i don't think I can justify the geometry. I let my imagination get away from me. It turns out that the crust is always a minor part of the image, easily accomplished with a bump map.

studiomiguel
01-28-2002, 01:24 PM
muchas gracias gryn,
What an informative and interesting thread. You never know who your talking to online!
Thanks again......

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.