PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Robert Chang

Lunatique
03-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Robert Chang has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

Lunatique
04-17-2004, 04:19 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082218755_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082218755_large.jpg)

For anything I do, the narrative quality is always the most important. For this challenge, it's no different. I wanted to either make some kind of a social statement, or express some kind of emotions. This one is a comment about vanity and how in the future, even fashion adapts to cyber technology in a very tangible way. Today, it's watches, perfume, purse, shoes, clothes, sunglasses..etc. Tomorrow, it'll be designer ears, arms, backs, breasts...etc.

Lunatique
04-17-2004, 04:26 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082219162_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082219162_large.jpg)

This one is about how the human heart will never change, no matter how advanced technology becomes. Here we have a father desperately trying to fix his daughter. But is she synthetic, or a real girl with synthetic parts? Did he build her from scratch, or is he just now trying to save her by giving her artificial parts for the first time so she could live? The important fact is this: it doesn't matter whether she is artificial or biologicial, the love of a father for his daughter is the same. Technology cannot change how we feel about the ones we love.

Lunatique
04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082220008_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082220008_large.jpg)

This is the cleaned up and detailed drawing. Here, the actual brand names could be seen clearly--a few of the giants in the fashion and cosmetic industry: Gucci, Christian Dior, Prada..etc. The mirror has holographic projection capabilities, and she's looking at a 3X magnification in the mirror, which helps her with her makeup and other tasks. The dresser has two voice controlled cameras and can give her views of herself from any angle without having to turn her head. The magnificaiton screen has a menu where she can choose different functions like brighten the mirror, list inventory of her shoes, find reference pictures of celebbrities and what they're wearing and how they're doing their makeup..etc. If you look closely, you can see that she's not putting on an earring--she's actually putting on an ear. The other ear is still on the dresser in its box--made by Gucci.

Lunatique
04-17-2004, 04:51 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082220678_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1082220678_large.jpg)

Here's the drawing for Fix My Broken Heart. Here you can see all the elements that triggers the emotional impact of the piece. At the door of the garage, you see the little girl's bicycle totally twisted and bent--obviously from a severe accident. There's a small pool of blood that trails from the bicycle to the operating table.

At the far end of the garage, you can see the father's workbench, and he's obviously some kind of engineer or cyber mechanic. The workbench has body parts, mechanical charts..etc on it. On the other side of the workbench, seperated by a hand-drawn dotted line, is the little girl's side, with stuffed animal toy, barbi doll, crayon drawings..etc. The dotted line has the little girls handwriting, in typical child-like tone, marking her side of the workbench "JENNY'S SPACE," and her father's side "DADDY'S SPACE," and the required "DO NOT CROSS!" Hanging on the wall of the workbench on Jenny's side is a photo of her and her father, and a crayon drawing of her and her father, with "ME AND DADDY" written on it.

The vital signs monitor next to the operating table shows that the signal has just flatlined.

Russo
04-17-2004, 08:39 PM
very nice ;)

axedge3d
04-18-2004, 02:07 AM
very cool narrative dude. Awesome idea... not far from true, excellent approach to the problematic and nice sketching

monsitj
04-18-2004, 03:58 AM
your compostion is great !it can tell the story by itself , and I have no doubt about your coloring skill , :thumbsup: can't wait to see more update!

RLyons
04-18-2004, 06:07 AM
Love both concepts, you have a fantastic hand, can't wait to see more.:bounce:

my entry

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/view_entries.php?challenger=1620

Lunatique
04-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks! Can you guys actually tell me which one you prefer? I'll need to pick one to finish because we're only allowed one entry, and I don't have time to do both.

flyingP
04-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Not easy but I'll put my vote in for number two (it's a real make you go all soft and gooey inside emotion type image), the first one is a very cool idea too and I although I tend to like subtle images that almost comes across a bit too subtle to me, that and I really like the is she real or made mystery in second story.

ymbsnakeeye
04-18-2004, 08:06 PM
I say go with the father and daughter, it has alot more to the story. The guchi and prada girl just reminds me of some girls i actually know. The father and daughter are genuine, kind of like a modern day female version of pinnoccio. Only you added your twist, and I think if you develop it more, the characters will grow more roots.

MorteR
04-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Fantastic!
I think you're on to something here. A little preview of the
future. I like the woman in front of the mirror the most.
Nice concept, so don't give that one up!

note: the bracelet on her left arm differs from the one in the
mirror ;)

etheguard
04-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Great Work!

I like both, but if I had to choose I would go with "Fix My Broken Heart". I think it has an emotional impact as well as staying true to the competition.

Shinwa
04-20-2004, 07:23 PM
I love the expressive quality in "Fix My Broken Heart" I believe that this one has the emotional impact you are looking for...In the other one, it's rather void of that, though all the details and the subject is there. So..

My vote is for "Fix My Broken Heart". And even if you go the other route, I REALLY want to see this one done!

;}

This composition and telling of a story is perfect.:cry: :applause:

RandomThoughts
04-21-2004, 06:36 AM
I prefer Synthetic Vanity~

Composition is well done, story is unique. I especially love the idea of using mirror to reflect her face, is it reflecting her true self or just an empty shell, got me pondering. It all depends on the artist, what kind of expression will you give her on that reflection. Personally, I think it's a much harder image to do to pull it off. (I would suggest to move the face mask to the left side open desk, or hanging it on the mirror right beside her reflection) Not to mention somehow, I think this one is more of your style.

The other one is great too, but I've seen quiet a bit of "love, tragic, machine, death" theme. It's a much easier image to provoke emotions. Neverthless, just like any love story, there's good ones, and there's bad ones. I bet you can pull a good one for sure :)

I just hope whichever one you decide to do, you'll get the other one completed too after the challenge, when you got time. :thumbsup:

Oh did I mention I vote for Synthetic Vanity? :p

viag
04-21-2004, 07:17 AM
hi ! i prefer synthetic vanity for the story maybe for the mirror effect , i know u will do a great job on it so i m waiting for the color :thumbsup:

deepforest
04-23-2004, 06:30 AM
I am interesting in the entry, looking forward the next!
Prefer Synthetic Vanity...

r3studios
04-23-2004, 07:48 AM
your fix my broken heart concept reminds me on *battle angel alita* :)

nice concepts. keep it up!! :bounce:

FUG1T1VE
04-28-2004, 05:16 PM
casting my vote.

Both compositions are very nice. I like number 2. you could also add little flying gadgets holding tools for the father, kind of like every mechanical object trying to save her life.

future14
04-28-2004, 09:16 PM
hi:D

great emotional and narrative.....!!!:thumbsup:

both are great too, but i will put a vote on the first one, synthetic vanity, interesting idea.... unique!!!!

want to c more~~~~~~ :bounce:

AlexDragutescu
04-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Hey

As the person before me said, I like the first one better. I think its more original. Just as images, both are nice, but the first one has more to it.

Good work
:thumbsup:

londero
04-30-2004, 06:07 AM
GREAT JOB! inspirador!!!:thumbsup:

feeesh
04-30-2004, 05:12 PM
I must say, as a newbie to Corel Painter, Ive become a fan of your work so Im really looking forward to seeing your entry painted.

I prefer Synthetic Vanity myself. I think the idea of synthetic ody enhancements for he sake of beauty by big-name fashions is a good idea patly because it's not necessarily so far from the truth in the near future. Aside from that, I think the overall composion of the piece is also very strong and will work very well as it is already pleasing to the eye just as a sketch.

-feeesh

OKMER
05-03-2004, 11:36 PM
yap,for the moment all i can say is nice drawing!!!!And i prefer the last one,i like the heartbreaking side of the story

Lunatique
05-04-2004, 01:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1083677588_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1083677588_large.jpg)

I've blocked in the basic color scheme, and some basic lighting information. With this color rough, I established that there's diffused indirect light from the window coming from the left, and a lamp on the right. This gives a nice balance of cool and warm tone.

Lunatique
05-04-2004, 01:38 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1083677894_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1083677894_large.jpg)

Blocked in the lighting information and color scheme. I wanted a pale, slightly blinding lighting coming from above from the operating table's lights--it helps to create a surreal feel for the scene. I have warm household lights coming from behind them on the workbench to balance the cool lighting--also the warmth suits the the purpose of the work bench--as a clue to a happier time for the man and his daughter. I've closed in on composition because many people suggested that it wasn't necessary to show the trashed bike or any other extra information, since they don't add to the piece and only distracts.

Lunatique
05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the comments. It's still hard to choose, since people have stated great reasons for preferring one or the other. I think emotionally I prefer Fix My Broken Heart, but artistically, I prefer Synthetic Vanity. It's going to be a very hard call to make.

FUG1T1VE - I like your idea of the flying gadgets. Might implement it, if it doesn't distract from the image too much. I don't think it'll be possible to show that they are gathering to save her life though--that kind of subtext is usually depicted better by moving images or prose.

Pierrick
05-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi Mr Chang!

So good ideas in both of them!!
I can easily imagine that the choice is delicate.

I just give you my opinion :
"Synthetic Vanity" is my favourite one!
The idea is so fantastic, the illustration can be very beautifull.
And the expression and atitude of the girl is exellent!
Definitly, this one is the most communicative for me...

I think the second one dosn't work without a scenario or some other pictures. It seems to be taken from a movie... The idea isn't so original too.

A last thing: I like a lot your photos! They are so charming... :rolleyes:

Nice work!!!

flyingP
05-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Lunatique
It's still hard to choose, since people have stated great reasons for preferring one or the other. I think emotionally I prefer Fix My Broken Heart, but artistically, I prefer Synthetic Vanity. It's going to be a very hard call to make.

If that's the case and although I prefer Fix My Broken Heart myself, Synthetic Vanity fits the brief better IMO

jbingman
05-14-2004, 04:00 PM
My vote is for Synthetic Vanity. More room for subtle detail. But I'm sure either one you choose will be awesome!

good luck

dwin
05-16-2004, 03:51 AM
I choose Synthetic Vanity. I think it's simple and focus only on the girl... Both are great...:thumbsup:

FUG1T1VE
05-20-2004, 06:28 AM
With colors in place it does make it harder to choose. Hopefully you dont have to end up flipping a coin. Post some more wips :thumbsup:

Craymels
05-20-2004, 07:17 AM
kool there love it

SEL
05-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Hey there Mr. Chang,
great to see you in the comp. Looks like you have 2 great ideas to work with, im wondering which one you picked and where your at with it right now as I bet its something very nice. Ill be curious to check for updates every now and then as I know your a great artist.

SEL
:thumbsup:

P.S. so hows the short film you been working on doing?

Lunatique
05-24-2004, 08:39 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1085387957_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2307/2307_1085387957_large.jpg)

Started the painting process. This is the hardest part--to not only pull the image together, depict the details, refine the mood, but also trying to keep it fresh and spontaneous with interesting brush work. From this point on, It's all Painter and no Photoshop, except to flip the canvas or do some minor editing--Painter sucks at that stuff, but it kills Photoshop when it comes to painting.

duddlebug
05-25-2004, 07:46 AM
So are you going with the man and his daughter? huh? huh?

They've both got bags of potential... but are such different subject matter. I can see why it's hard to make a decision.

The last one's got some real mood to it and the lighting accentuates that to some degree.

i look forward to seeing some WIP in painter... some close ups would be nice... :)

Quizboy
05-31-2004, 07:44 AM
hello Mr.Chang, I'm sure it'll be fantastic whatever you choose - I have a question: doesn't Photoshop degrade the image a smidgen whenever you rotate canvas? and do you have any tricks to make the rotating as quick and handy as rotating a sketch pad in real life?

Tremoside
05-31-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi Lunatique,

I have to say i like your living lines and the method how you avoid the fight with the details in the primer period of your workflow! I was on the side of the other scene, maybe this version is too dramatic form me but this is just a personal opinion. I know some of your previous works and am sure that you will finish this image as well as they were finished by you....

If i could ask you to visit my thread and give some advices about colors ( or else..). That would be a honor.

Cya,:wavey:
Tremo

Klaymen
06-03-2004, 08:53 AM
I'd chose number two.. Sure the first one is more original, but the second more has WAY more feeling. The flying gadgets idea is cool, jsut dont make too many of them.. I really like the orange lighting in the second image, as opposed to too strong red color of the girls dress in the first pic.

Post more!

TeemuR
06-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Hello, Mr. Chang. Very nice pictures both of them. :love:
I would definately choose "fix my broken heart". Love the mood in that one. The mirror girl pic would be also great but imho it doesn't have enough "machineflesh" feeling, what ever that means. :D But that is only my opinion.

Keep it up! :beer:

Flippetyhop
06-05-2004, 12:23 AM
I really think I prefer the image with the father and the girl, the fashion one is an intresting concept, but the other has more heart and more of a personal story to it. The woman in the fashion one could be anyone, but the one with the man and the girl reminds me of the Pinocchio concept, it has more heart and character to it, I feel theres a beautifula nd melancholic story in there somewhere and its a nice compositon too

fishermanDavis
06-05-2004, 05:36 AM
Synthetic Vanity has my vote! It just grabs my attention more than the other one - I think it's the pose and the concept that are more appealing.

stormeffex
06-05-2004, 06:15 AM
hi robert. i love both concepts you have. they are interesting in there own ways. seeing how you went with fixing a broken heart. i think that you need to resolve some anatomical issues within the father. his head seems to be sitting unnaturally on his shoulders and you seem to have hid is left hand. it might be the angle but i think that you could find a better solution than hiding most of it. as for the girl. i think it's good right now except for the left hand. it seems to be suspended in mid-air. how is it doing that? as i look at it more...there is also some tension in the way that the left foot is covered by the wire. i think that showing the whole foot can be more interesting while you move the wire to new location. good luck with the painting.

Panupat
06-13-2004, 06:54 AM
hey Luna :)
Concept wise I like Fix My Broken Heart too. it shows more machine side of her than Synthetic Vanity with some hint of humanity since brokenheart can also be refer to heart brokening from love :wip: I think you'll need to answer some question in your image tho for example right now I can't tell yet if the guy is fixing her heart. From a first glance it looks like he's tearing the girl apart. Also i think it give us more sympathy if the guy is fixing the girl in a similar way a surgery doctor would do to a patient :hmm: you know, it's easier for us to connect ourselves to the characters.

I also think you should concentrate your composition more on the characters unless there's some meaning in the background since it occupies so much space.

Shinwa
07-14-2004, 02:22 PM
I hope I am not screaming about nothing, but WHERE IS THE FINALIZED STUFF??? It really depresses me to see some really great beginning work unfinished and not in the voting section!!!:sad:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.