PDA

View Full Version : Output File Size Issues

Orion71
03-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with something.

When I render my movie as an AVI it's like 2gigs, and when I render it as a Quicktime it pixelates during the fades.

Could someone please advise me on what to do, I was thinking I wouldn't use DIVX, because it's a demo reel and I want to make sure that the person I'm sending it to can view it easily.

thx, o

Tuqui-tuqui
03-19-2004, 05:50 AM
You are probably rendering an AVI thats uncompressed thats why the large file size. As a matter of fact you should leave your file uncompressed so no quality is lost during the transfer from your CPU to the VCR. If you are outputting to DVD then its Mpeg4

Quicktime to tape is not a good idea at all since it was developed with the web in mind, not TV.

Good luck job hunting!

zanian
03-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Are you in an NLE? How are you outputting it?

Yeah Quicktime is only for the web???

No, it is a neutral file format depending on your compression. You can render an uncompressed and/or lossless file.

If you just want to make your reel small, choose DV (for most NLE's output via Firewire) or Photo-Jpeg (at a high setting) to bring on a CD to someone who has the ability to output it for you and you are not sure of their format.

Note this is not for playback on a computer or through the web. Then you would have to compress it a different way.

cheers

Tuqui-tuqui
03-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by zanian
Yeah Quicktime is only for the web???

No, it is a neutral file format depending on your compression. You can render an uncompressed and/or lossless file.

QuickTime:
A video format developed by Apple Computer commonly used for files found on the Internet; an alternative to MPEG. A special viewer program available for both IBM PC and compatibles and Macintosh computers is required for playback.

Click Here (http://www.oit.ohio-state.edu/glossary/gloss3.html#q)

BTW, I never said it was only for the web... Quote "Quicktime to tape is not a good idea at all since it was developed with the web in mind, not TV"

Orion71
03-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Hey there,

I'm not sure what you mean by NLE.

I'm rendering the movies from the Make Movie dialogue box. 640x480, full res and full size.

Eventually I want to either figure out how to output to VHS (I think my video card will do it, it's a Quattro 750xl) or take it somewhere to have it done, but for now I'm trying to get a CD out by monday to a friend that has a potential job opprotunity for me.

Do you know what would be the best format and settings to get a decent video onto a CD?

thx, o

Tuqui-tuqui
03-19-2004, 09:47 PM
NLE: Non-linear Editor

Premiere
Final Cut
Avid
Vegas
etc, etc, etc..

to tape: 720x486

to CD: You got it at a good resolution. Now, you need to ask the person who will be viewing it what compressor do they want it at. Personally, I would go for either MPEG or Quicktime because they are the most common.

Orion71
03-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Cool, thanks Tuq!

MPEG will work.

Looking at the options I see MPEG-4 Codec V1, V2 and
V3.

Which one would you recommend?

Tuqui-tuqui
03-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Sorry about the delay buddy!

Look, when it comes to choosing between (which BTW I do not have. It only says MPEG4 - low, med, high, highest) experimenting between them will be your best bet.

Orion71
03-24-2004, 04:07 PM
No problem dude!

That's exactly what I ended up doing. Playing around with the settings until I got something acceptable.

Thanks again for your help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.