PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Anders Kjellberg

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Cartesius
04-20-2004, 12:16 PM
The Swedes WILL rule the world of 3D! Now if we only could get Stahlberg to gather the masses... :p

DShadow: Will check out your entry as soon as possible!

/Anders

painkiller
04-20-2004, 03:49 PM
the "BORG" are calling u to service !!!
(the BORG from star track ... just to be sure every one got it
;) )

any way ... great job ... can't wait to the rest of the body !

:thumbsup:

soapy
04-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Ok you Swedes can rule 3d, us Canadians will hang on to hockey...

Great work anders, I really like those screw heads. I need a lesson in modeling hard things from you.

painkiller
04-20-2004, 04:06 PM
hey soapy .....
just take it easy on the meshsmoot ... (or what ever u use...)
;)

Cartesius
04-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Update:

The hand is finished! Well, at least for now. ;) Will probably add some more details along the way but I consider it some 95% done. Bump, spec and diffusion will come later in the process.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/right_hand_tex_final.jpg

JamesMK
04-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Ah yeah... well, a bit early for congratulations :D but I'd like to say something similar at least to celebrate the finished hand texture - any further adjustments are better left for post processing... So, onwards to the head then is it?

Good job so far (you knew that of course, but I'll just keep repeating myself until... uh... something) :beer:

Cartesius
04-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Thank you, James! Yes, the head is next and I will also start texturing the instruments. I figured I should try multi-tasking for once -- you know, work with several projects simultaneously. God knows how that will end... :beer:

Well, I'm off to bed!

Cheers!

/Anders

Lemog
04-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Waouw...

...a work as splendid as interesting, I'm literally deafened by the quality and the precision of the details, which seem all to have been thinking.

The presentation of each stage is very pleasant for the eyes and gives really desire for seeing the continuation quickly then.

Cheer :D

Cartesius
04-21-2004, 08:32 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1082536371_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1082536371_large.jpg)

Lemog, thank you!

(This is the same image as above but this time submitted as a milestone.)

/Anders

Tremoside
04-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Thank you Anders!

your setup with finger parts...hmmm you may create like this for keyboard artists:buttrock: pretty good!
see ya

mosconariz
04-21-2004, 05:47 PM
This textures are really insane. When I saw it, I was about to puke :buttrock: And you should be proud of that! Congratz!!

Cartesius
04-21-2004, 06:14 PM
@Tremoside: Thanks! A keyboardist? Well, that would give a whole new meaning to Death Metal (although I doubt DM bands even have a keyboard player :) )!

@mosconariz: Oh yes, that's a real honour indeed! :thumbsup:

/Anders

DimitrisLiatsos
04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Very nice texturing indeed ...!!!...the skin has problems with the metals attached and it shows...nice!!!:thumbsup:

Cartesius
04-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by DimitrisLiatsos
Very nice texturing indeed ...!!!...the skin has problems with the metals attached and it shows...nice!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks! It can't be healthy to have those things attached to your hand so I tried to make the skin reflect that.

Update:
I've been browsing through my collection of ref images to start the head modeling but so far I haven't really decided what he should look like. I have some ideas and I will try to start working with them as soon as possible.

In the meantime I've been doodling with texture maps for the instruments. So far I've done the saw and the pliers/retractors. They're not done yet so feel free to come with suggestions on how to improve them! I want them to have a dirty, unhealthy look :)

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/rust1.jpg

harnelbe
04-23-2004, 12:02 AM
:beer:
Nice render of materials !
Perhaps you could add spec and bump map to the material of the skin it looks like plastic for the moment comparing to the realistic render of the instruments, perhaps with bump and spec map you could add some "scrathes" on the metal to mean there are lot of usage. il ke a lot the corroded aspect of the connectors, it could be increase by the remarks done before (spec, bump) to put some fresh hilits.

soapy
04-23-2004, 12:40 AM
looking really good Anders, I didnt picture the metal being so dirty, hahah, I like it.

Cartesius
04-23-2004, 09:54 AM
@harnelbe: Thank you! Yes, spec, bump and diffusion for the hand texture is on the way. As you say, it will give the texture some surface and depth as it looks rather flat right now. Same goes for the metal parts as most of them only have colour and specular right now.

@soapy: I was arguing with myself if I should make the metal shiny or rusty and finally settled on rusty. It fits better with the story of a mad eye surgeon doing dirty jobs in a dirty world. :)

/Anders

JamesMK
04-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Brilliant textures on the mech parts! It immediately screamed "cool!" at me when the image loaded :buttrock:

Cartesius
04-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JamesMK
Brilliant textures on the mech parts! It immediately screamed "cool!" at me when the image loaded :buttrock:

Thank you very much, James! :thumbsup: I will continue with the rest of the instruments tomorrow.

/Anders

PS. Where's the rabbit? He's not dead, I hope? If so --> :cry: DS.

JamesMK
04-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Rabbit's on vacation - hopefully back in a few days :hmm:

painkiller
04-23-2004, 12:07 PM
the metal looking good !! great progress !!

Cartesius
04-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by painkiller
the metal looking good !! great progress !!

Thank you, more is on the way!

/Anders

ODoul
04-24-2004, 03:53 AM
Wow.

(Renews subscription to thread which has mysteriously expired)

Antropus
04-24-2004, 03:59 AM
Yes! Great textures here! Maybe a bit more of specular both in skin and metals? Na... keep it up :beer:

Cya,
Kris

Cartesius
04-24-2004, 10:58 PM
@3D_Explorer: Thanks, and glad to see you back!

@Antropus: Thank you! I will play around a bit more with the specularity before deadline :)

Update:
Had a couple of hours over today so I started texturing the scalpel. Still much to do (more detailing) but so far I'm pretty satisfied with most of it.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/scaplel_tex.jpg

mosconariz
04-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah! That oxidized metal/rotten flesh combination is so cool!

rattlesnake
04-25-2004, 02:13 AM
wow man , ilove the wires that connect to the tools, great details, this is rocking , youre going to the finals! with this great detailing!.textures are cool!

Lemog
04-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Whaouw... the new textures for the metal part are so great... you cna continue like that :thumbsup:

JPCohet
04-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Good realism; the hand texture is great.

My MachineFlesh (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=135155)

harnelbe
04-25-2004, 10:17 AM
:bounce:
great great.
I like a lot the tweeking you have done on your metal material !
Better and better !

Cartesius
04-25-2004, 05:53 PM
@mosconariz: Thanks! Yes, that machine - flesh combination is working out pretty good.

@rattlesnake: :thumbsup:

@Lemog: Thanks! Yes, this is the "tone", so to say, for the rest of the project's textures.

@JPCohet: Thank you!

@harnelbe: Thanks! I finally got a combination of specularity and diffusion that works on curved surfaces. Now I need to find the best values for flat areas a s well :)

An update will follow tonight or tomorrow evening.

/Anders

flyingP
04-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Now if my health insurance would only get me a surgeon of this quality...... :)

Neemo
04-25-2004, 09:36 PM
really nice work man!

the only thing I thought looked strange is the indexfinger and thumb of the left hand, seems like they are rotated wrongly, the thumb can't twist like that in a relaxed mode and the indexfinger isn't twisted at all on a human. If they are supposed to be like that I withdraw my comment, I just looked at the pictures :)

but else than that, really nice work with the textures, really nice

keep it up!:applause:

Cartesius
04-26-2004, 08:13 AM
@flyingP: A surgeon of this quality would have had his license revoked several years ago... :)

@Neemo: Thank you, glad you like it! Can you please elaborate a bit of what you mean with the thumb and indexfinger not being correctly rotated? I'm not getting what you mean.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/basic_left_new2.jpg

JamesMK
04-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Ah... excellent texture on those nails... truly gross.... hmm... maybe he would look hot with some high-gloss red nail polish :D

I'd be inclined to agree that the index finger looks strangely rotated along its length axis somehow... actually...

This looks totally good overall though.

Lemog
04-26-2004, 08:40 AM
textures are imposing, are true hands of handyman :buttrock:

Just one remark, I think that the lower part of the fingers is a little inflated, especially under the index, it seems to have a small ball... but the remainder is perfect.

Cartesius
04-26-2004, 08:50 AM
@JamesMK: He could be a transvestite, maybe? Some nail polish, some lipstick and a touch of rouge on his sheeks? He would definitely look scary :)

I'm still not sure I get what's wrong with the index finger, though, but I hope it will look better once it's posed (rough pose attached).

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/hand_test3.jpg

@Lemog: Thanks! I will look into the ball-thingy.

/Anders

JamesMK
04-26-2004, 08:57 AM
He could be a transvestite, maybe? Some nail polish, some lipstick and a touch of rouge on his sheeks? He would definitely look scary :)
The idea is strangely appealing.... Make-up, some blue on the eyelids and a small beard to finish it up ... o_O :scream:

Cartesius
04-26-2004, 09:01 AM
The idea is strangely appealing...

Yes, it is... And that's probably what's most scary of it all! :argh:

/Anders

viag
04-26-2004, 09:06 AM
oh texturing coming nicely ! lot of details , i love it !

Saschi0815
04-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Great progress and really a texturing senasation, man!!!:thumbsup: :applause: :beer:

jddog
04-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Absolutely stunning textures work Anders, really my best compliments... so accurate...
Just If I can do a comment, the metal texture of your "Freddy Krueger" hand (metal I' mean the base material) is not so reflective... I think about something with more dust if is not reflective. Dust like blood stains or real dust + oil stains, something in this direction. Ok I know is not finished... just a comment of a personal reflection.

jdd

RhyderKey
04-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Sweeeeet texturing, rock the world baby....

only thing i have to say, and maybe it's just me or u want them like that, but aren't your fingers a bit to short?????

Cartesius
04-26-2004, 04:23 PM
@viag & Saschi0815: Thanks!

@jddog: Thank you Julien! You're right, it needs some more stains and I will add them eventually.

RhyderKey: Thanks :) The fingers are a bit on the short side, but it was a trade off in my modeling as longer fingers made the hand look very unbalanced. I hope it won't be very noticeable in the final render.

Update:
Started adding some dirt and grime. The hand now has a very crude bump, but a better one will replace it soon.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/hand_tex_diff.jpg

Neemo
04-26-2004, 08:21 PM
this is what I mean by rotated

if you look at the line I made along the index-finger, it's along that axis I think it's too rotated. And look at the circle in your picture. If you look at your own hand from a "top view" straight above, you can see that the nail isn't at all rotated. I have a hand I made myself a few weeks ago where you can see what I mean maybe.

Hope it helps
http://student.nackademin.com/vr03112/basic_left_new2.jpg

and my own hand

http://student.nackademin.com/vr03112/hand03.jpg

not the best hand in the world, but hope you can see my point

again, good work man :thumbsup:

Cartesius
04-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Neemo
this is what I mean by rotated

Aha, nu begriper jag! (Transl: Aha, now I get it!) Yes, you're right, the finger is rotated a bit too much. If I can fix it I will, I just hope I won't mess upp the UV's too much. Thanks! :thumbsup:

/Anders

Neemo
04-27-2004, 10:50 AM
bra! :) good! well then, it's up to you if you fix or not, the rest is good enough so maybe it won't be that "eye-cathing"

good work! :thumbsup:

Megavince
04-27-2004, 11:44 AM
cool i really like your concept man!!!!!!!:buttrock:

Tremoside
04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Cartesius,

Beautiful texture works. I see something on a finger, and it looks like a bearing puller. am I right? It really looks like that...on the tumb. That is a fearsome tool I've worked with it.

By the way, all these things are amazing:beer:

Cartesius
04-28-2004, 10:36 PM
@Neemo: I will check it as soon as I get the chance.

@Megavince: :thumbsup:

@Tremoside: Thank you! The instrument on the thumb is a mix between a set of pliers and a retractor. I got the idea for the design from a catalogue of medical instruments but modified it a bit to fit my more horrible needs. :)

/Anders

Cartesius
04-30-2004, 12:22 AM
The perspective isn't very good but as you can see I've finished texturing every instrument but one. I've also darkened the skin area surrounding the pinky to indicate heat damage from the torch :)

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/onetogo.jpg

mosconariz
04-30-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm starting to think you had cut out your own fingers, implant the instruments and take yourself a photo... :eek:

soapy
04-30-2004, 02:28 AM
Wow that hand is getting truly scary! haha, it looks like he bar-b-qued his pinky. Really great textures.

M-Saber
04-30-2004, 03:57 AM
What a great job, man. U're really scaring every1 now!
How could you not get scared yourself??!!:D

jddog
04-30-2004, 06:07 AM
:argh: ype argh but exellent textures on the skin Anders, and some mettalic parts look really better (don't know if is the position, the light or you did some improovements, but reflections are really better)

:thumbsup: jdd

Cartesius
04-30-2004, 08:23 AM
@mosconariz: LOL! Everything for the Art, you know :)

@soapy: Thank you!

@El Maistro: I showed the hand for a female friend of mine and she looked a bit pale. A good sign, I think. :)

@jddog: Thanks Julien! Yes, the metal looks better now. I've added some spec and diffusion maps to most parts and will break up the reflections even more on other.

Another update is coming tonight or tomorrow!

/Anders

Lemog
04-30-2004, 08:59 AM
I hope that in the final scene, one will continue with well seeing all these splendid details, a very beautiful work on textures :applause:

Cartesius
04-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Lemog
I hope that in the final scene, one will continue with well seeing all these splendid details, a very beautiful work on textures :applause:

Yes, I hope so too. I will try to stick to my original concept and according to that the hand will be very much in focus and that's why it is so detailed.

/Anders

number9
04-30-2004, 12:26 PM
About the pinky: Actually I think that it looks dirty instead of damaged by the heat. Maybe try to make it look red and swollen with nasty blisters.

Cartesius
04-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Say so Long
About the pinky: Actually I think that it looks dirty instead of damaged by the heat. Maybe try to make it look red and swollen with nasty blisters.

You might be right. I'll see what I can do!

/Anders

Ric535
04-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Getting better and better Anders you maniac - i think the pinky looks pretty good - mmm barbeque :p

mikepolizos
04-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Awesome progress you have here Cartesius!

Great textures/modeling! :buttrock: :buttrock:

I thing is the most popular hand ever been created :) !

Keep on mate.

rajdeep
04-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey Anders Great work man How did you get those hairs done...enlighten us...You are amazing buddy...

rattlesnake
04-30-2004, 07:36 PM
yeahh textures looks really cool!, and the skin is lookin better and better each time i visit!, cant wait to see the rest of your work done...so i send u good vibrations from here..... keep rocking!

Cartesius
04-30-2004, 10:13 PM
@Ric_535: Thanks! BBQ is good :)

@mikepol |3D|: Thanks! If all else fails I can always submit just the hand for the final scene ;)

@rajdeep: Thank you! The hairs aren't quite as visible as I would like but I will add more. The ones present now are mostly from my own arm, actually, as I'm using photographs as base textures. A screen shot of the texture in scale 1:1 is attached:

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/1to1.jpg

@rattlesnake: Thank you, I will sure need those vibrations the coming weeks!

/Anders

JamesMK
05-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Aaaaa... the scorched finger is veeeeery creepy... I feel the pain! :D Blisters... yeah... effing blister it up badly! :wip:

Tremoside
05-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Cartesius,

Your textures with, are like a crimescene, it makes me shocked...
Excellent man, fine balance between healthy and suffered.

KEEP IT UP!!!!!

just:bowdown: :bowdown:

Cartesius
05-02-2004, 12:01 PM
@JamesMK: Blisters are on the way :)

@Tremoside: Thanks, glad you like it!

I will post another update tonight.

/Anders

rajdeep
05-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Thank's cartesius for sharing...That is wonderful work....thank's again...

Cartesius
05-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Thank you, rajdeep :)

Update:
The hand is done! I know I will tweak it later on and I still have to do a proper bump map for it but this is basically how it will look.

OK, time for the head...

/Anders

Edit: The blood dripping from the scalpel will not be included in the final scene.

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/hand_final2.jpg

JamesMK
05-02-2004, 08:10 PM
YESSSSS!

It is absolutely awesome! Hell yeah! I love those text labels on the wrist connector thingy too... ah, must get me one of those and run around spraying acid on innocent pedestrians :D

Full score on this one, Anders. Now get out for a few hours and get plastered!

Cartesius
05-03-2004, 10:36 AM
YESSSSS!

Thank you, mistah Wabbit! I wasn't sure about the text labels initially but I think they worked out pretty good.

Cheers!

/Anders

Tremoside
05-03-2004, 10:39 AM
YYYEEEAH!:buttrock:

ps.:labels are on top too

Atwooki
05-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Superb texturing and modelling, Anders!
Scar tissue and blemishes very well thought out - Excellent :)

Atwooki

harnelbe
05-03-2004, 11:51 AM
:eek: :eek:
OMG !!!
What an update you have done man !!!
The texture is so....so.... real !!!
Did you have some fun on a wall or on the road with a skate board and after taken photo of your hands ? lol !!!
My god !
:love: Cartesius My Hero.

Cartesius
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
@Tremoside: :thumbsup:

@Atwooki: Thanks!

@harnelbe: LOL! No, I didn't hurt myself when doing the textures :) They are scanned from medical textbokks mostly, and a few images of damaged tissue are from a medical database hosted by an Italian university.

I was originally planning on spending the evening in front of the computer but as it turns out I have to give a lecture on the atomic bomb instead, a lecture I had forgotten all about. :banghead:

Oh well...

/Anders

rajdeep
05-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey Cartesius...Amazing texture effect...Good work buddy...:beer:

JamesMK
05-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Cartesius
I was originally planning on spending the evening in front of the computer but as it turns out I have to give a lecture on the atomic bomb instead
I just knew from the start that there was something seriously fishy going on here, Anders..... o_O This is what I call confirmation with a capital 'C' :D

gpepper
05-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Really nice !
I should say awfull ! but it's a really good work !

Cartesius
05-03-2004, 10:17 PM
@rajdeep: Thank you!

@JamesMK: LOL! I confess, I make my living by giving suspicious lectures. :cool: (Actually, I'm also supposed to write on my dissertation but who has time for history with Machineflesh going on?)

@gpepper: Thank you, glad you find it awful :)

/Anders

Cartesius
05-03-2004, 10:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1083623220_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1083623220_large.jpg)

I got some time over tonight and started doodling with the surgeon's head. This is just a very basic shape to outline the eyes and I will refine it as I go along.

/Anders

JamesMK
05-04-2004, 07:43 AM
Ah, good to see your on the head-case (he!) - Nothing much to say yet of course, other than that it looks like a solid start..... carry on! :D

flyingP
05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Killer textures (yet again) Anders, nothing to look at while having your lunch :scream: but damn cool all the same.

jddog
05-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Cartesius >> :bowdown:

excellent work !

jdd

mosconariz
05-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Bloody gangrene Batman!
:buttrock:

Cartesius
05-04-2004, 10:26 PM
@JamesMK: Will do!

@flyingP: Thank you!

@jddog: :thumbsup:

@mosconariz: Now that's an expression you don't hear often enough!

Update submitted as milestone below.

/Anders

Cartesius
05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1083709944_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1083709944_large.jpg)

Nothing special, just continued where I left it yesterday. The nose was easier this time, guess I'm either getting better or luckier. Mouth is next and I've also started building an ear (I truly and utterly hate ears! they look so simple but they are nightmares...).

/Anders

Lemog
05-04-2004, 10:34 PM
It's not very easy to realize like that and to give a judgement, but modeling seems started well :thumbsup:

Cartesius
05-05-2004, 12:05 AM
It's not very easy to realize like that and to give a judgement, but modeling seems started well :thumbsup:

Yep, it's a bit early yet to say something, good or bad, about it. I hope to soon have enough geometry laid out to start shaping the face the way I want it (problem is I'm still not sure exactly how I want him to look).

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/head3.jpg

Lemog
05-05-2004, 05:45 AM
perhaps eyes are too small, the paumettes seem to be made in 2 pieces and the zone between the lip and the nose a little too large with my taste.

But nobody has a perfect face, we have all our difference, then your character can remain like that for the moment.

Good courage for the continuation, it's a good work :D

Cartesius
05-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I agree about the eyes but since the whole scene will revolve around the fact that the eyes are taking quite a lot of damage due to the toxic air, I figured that most people would squint a bit ;) I've decreased the space between his upper lip and the nose, but I'm afraid I don't know what you mean with "paumettes"?

Update:
More doodling.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/head4.jpg

JamesMK
05-05-2004, 09:30 PM
He's starting to get a nice expression - focused, yet discontent somehow... very neat.... and then I know how great he will look when textured too ;)

Ric535
05-05-2004, 10:47 PM
im not convinced at his cheeks - take a look at this picture

http://members.aol.com/rikwatkins/Cart_Ref_01.jpg

and you will see that the loops coming down from the side of the nose actually carry down a lot further to the bottom of the chin, whereas yours loop just under the mouth - have a look at this picture to see which bit i'm talkin about

http://members.aol.com/rikwatkins/Cart_Ref_02.jpg

What do you think?

jddog
05-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Ok Anders... I remeber the images posted before the 'crash'... You have my sopport !!! I wait for some more updates...

jdd

Ric535
05-15-2004, 12:12 PM
damn - looks like my post was the last surviving one!

Dont be disheartened - Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

Cartesius
05-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks, guys! It's a real shame they hacked the site but what can you do... Anyway, I'm attaching my latest image. The colour map is almost finished (I have some details to attend to) and I still have to do bump and diffuse maps. I've started modeling his clothes and they prove to be real tricky indeed! I still don't know how I should model his sleeves, for instance -- model them already in pose or model a base mesh and then pose it with bones? I will start experimenting later this evening.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/head15.jpg

Tremoside
05-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Wonderful texturing Cartesius. Congratulation!!!!:bowdown:

Those running sores.....:buttrock:
Maybe ears are a bit reddish..:rolleyes:

Keep up this amazing work!!

Lemog
05-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Your professor is always great, and us, here to support your fantastic work :applause:

M-Saber
05-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Well .. iGotta say .. i've kept an eye on ur work .. its looking great, man ... where did u learn that .. how old r you ??
ur work is frightening keep it up :thumbsup:

Cartesius
05-15-2004, 09:12 PM
@Tremoside: Thank you very much! :thumbsup: The ears might be a bit too red, I'll take it down a notch or two.

@Lemog: Thank you :)

@El Maistro: Thanks! I'm completely self taught, i.e. I learned by following public tutorials, reading up on the manuals and basically just by experimenting and playing around. And I'm oooold, I'm 35 :)

Update:
Nothing exceptional, just started on the clothing earlier today. He will have some sort of rubber scrubs and (maybe) a leather apron. I had my wife shoot some picters of my clothed arm in various positions and I'm using those as reference.

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/arm1.jpg

/Anders

soapy
05-16-2004, 06:18 AM
Nice work Anders. Your project is coming together very nicely. Did I mention that he reminds me of Donald Pleasence? Very fitting methinks.

Cartesius
05-16-2004, 02:12 PM
You're right, he actually do resemble ol' Donald! Subliminal inspiration, perhaps, as me and my wife watched Donald and Kurt Russell in "Escape from New York" just before I started modeling :)

Update:
One down and one to go (plus a chest).

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/sleeve1.jpg

omid605
05-17-2004, 04:26 AM
The finest textures in 3d world!!

:eek:

slayerment
05-17-2004, 04:59 AM
Very nice. I really like your style you got going on. :applause:

Cartesius
05-17-2004, 02:00 PM
@omid605: :thumbsup:

@slayerment: Thank you! My goal is to make it believable. Not in a specific photorealistic sense but more give the feeling of "this could actually be true". Hope I can keep it all the way to the deadline :)

/Anders

Cartesius
05-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Phew, been a couple of hard days trying to get the surgeon's clothing looking good but now I feel I'm at a stage where I can at least show you guys what I got so far.

This is a basic render without textures or lights. He will be wearing some sort of rubber scrubs (I'm thinking green with lots of stains) and a regular T-shirt underneath. He will also have an apron, maybe leather, and that will be stained and scratched as well. His sleeves needs tightening around the wrists and his right arm needs to be posed a little more in a raised position. His head will also be tilted so he more or less looks almost straight into the camera. So much to do and so little time... :)

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/surgeon1.jpg

rattlesnake
05-18-2004, 08:14 PM
is looking really fine all together... keep on hard work friend, and even more knowing the deadline is aproaching! good luck mate!

Tremoside
05-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Lots of work Cartesius. all with special care...:bowdown:
Deadline is the greatest inspiration. Sad but true.

Keep the spin!!

Lemog
05-19-2004, 05:48 AM
You're great Anders :bowdown:

I'm really impressed... already simple and powerful :thumbsup:

harnelbe
05-19-2004, 05:56 AM
It's becoming great !!
You're on the good way !

omid605
05-19-2004, 06:45 AM
yes its really great and it looks like a horrible doctor!!(I mean more than dr.lecter!) :scream: :surprised

:thumbsup:excellent work

deepforest
05-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Oh, great texture!

:buttrock:

jddog
05-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Cartesius ... :bowdown:

jdd

Peter C.
05-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Anders, fantastic work you've made here. Cloth and head mesh looks wonderfull. With the ref image as comparison, the cheeks appear to need a slightly higher peak (don't know how to explain really). As for the textures, they look really good.

On question, have you concidered (despite your very hard work on the left hand), to make one of those ugly green gloves? It can be semi transparent, so that the hand details show through, and could add even more complexity?

Anyway, :applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers!

/Peter

DimitrisLiatsos
05-19-2004, 11:54 AM
I am afraid to see your last post with textures in that camera angle....man u progressed your MachineFlesh so much....U are NUTS too!!!! :bounce: :thumbsup:

Cartesius
05-19-2004, 12:26 PM
@rattlesnake: Thank you, I hope I can keep it all together (my computer is already whining)!

@Tremoside: You're so right, the deadline is really forcing me to be as creative as I possibly can while still maintaining an overall focus. It will be tight, very tight, but I hope I can make it :)

@Lemog: Thank you, mate! I don't want to clutter the scene too much so I will focus on three major areas -- left hand, right hand and head.

@harnelbe: Thank you!

@omid605: Scarier than Lecter? Thanks!

@deepforest: Thanks, glad you like it!

@jddog: :thumbsup:

@Peter C.: Tackar! I will check his cheeks tonight and see if I can't match them up a bit more.

On question, have you concidered (despite your very hard work on the left hand), to make one of those ugly green gloves? It can be semi transparent, so that the hand details show through, and could add even more complexity?
Not a bad idea! Now that you mention it I remember toying with the idea of a glove sometime in the beginning but then lost track of it. You're right, it could add to the complexity of the scene without actually being that complex in itself. Yep, definitely worth a try, thanks!

@DimitrisLiatsos: Thank you very much! And let's face it, we're all nuts for even participating in this contest! :beer:

/Anders

pigwater
05-19-2004, 01:10 PM
cartesius .. wonderful work .. i've been watchin here and there .. the hand you started with has such intricate modelling and now the flowin drapery really accent it well and compliment the scene very well

great stuff

DimitrisLiatsos
05-19-2004, 02:06 PM
...And let's face it, we're all nuts for even participating in this contest!

....:scream: hahahaha...u got a point there!!!! hahaha

Cartesius
05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
@pigwater: Thank you very much!

@DimitrisLiatsos: :buttrock:

Update:
Didn't do much tonight as I'm pretty tired but I managed to model the apron and pose his head. Next up is to rig the head gear (eyes, cables, lens) to follow the pose but that will have to wait :)

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/surgeon2.jpg

Cartesius
05-19-2004, 11:22 PM

JamesMK
05-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Drop-dead solid modeling as usual I see, and steady progress [his forehead looks a tad bit squarish in that last shot though] - - - Textures... well, you don't need to know... kicking.... I imagine a sterile yet blooded environment, cold shiny wall tiles, stainless steel out of focus anisotropic props cold greenish surgical lights... sa-weet whatever... dagnabbit... ace top job... the folds and creases on the clothes... just excellent.

Cartesius
05-22-2004, 02:08 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1085234921_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1085234921_large.jpg)

A first lighting test. The lights are not definite yet but this is most likeley the scheme the final scene will follow: dark, moody and lit from below. I've also blocked out the background with a dummy wall (a cube and some simple cylinders). The dark area to the right of the image will hold some horrifiying equipment but I haven't decided exactly what yet. The background will probably be covered with ceramic tiles plus tubes, pipes and maybe a cabinet.

I'm still working on getting his face colour to match the colour of the instrument hand (haven't touched the other hand so far).

His apron -- I know I said it should be leather but opted for plastic instead as plastic looked more appropriate considering the settings.

Anyway, crits are always welcome!

/Anders

PS. James: Yep, his head looks a tad bit square, I know, but I hope I can tone it down with lights. DS

cb8rwh
05-22-2004, 02:12 PM
that looks awesome!! really creepy and evil!!

gets better with every post.

Rich

JamesMK
05-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Oh, that works REALLY well. Perfect mood, and a stylish sort of deliberate studio-kinda face light (yeah, so, that wasn't perfectly valid english).... Now I know you'll tune that light rig some more, but I'd definitely go for what you have here and maybe just do some minor refinements.

And, yeah, the squareness goes away pretty much when you light it this way.

Verdict: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

rattlesnake
05-22-2004, 02:25 PM
looks cool! but im going to have night mares!... first the James characters took out my sleep... and now this one! he looks creepy! i think that mood is very apropiate for him... good job Anders! skin looks truly realistic!:buttrock:

JamesMK
05-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Waahaa! Sorry, I just remembered something that would fit soooo well with this scene.... a bit from a really old copy of MAD magazine... some movie parody....

So there's a guy sitting strapped in a dentist's chair about to be checked up by some insane doctor.

Doctor: (german accent of course) Now be still. If I do this wrong it may hurt a litttle....

Guy: So, what happens if you do it right then?

Doctor: Then it will hurt A LOT!

.... m'yeap... er ... carry on!

lostworldenator
05-22-2004, 03:24 PM
HI it's really good modeling. Keep it up.

Denman
05-22-2004, 03:38 PM
i can't belive this man..

this looks awesome :buttrock:

Cartesius
05-22-2004, 09:00 PM
@cb8rwh: Thank you!

@JamesMK: Thanks! Yep, I think I will keep the lighting pretty much as it is here. There will be some additional light from the equipment but that will be very focused and with restricted falloff, so they won't disturb the overall mood.

@rattlesnake: I give you nightmares? Man, your scene with that dental stuff going on is making me twinch in my chair every time I see it :)

@JamesMK: LOL! That's exactly my doctor! If it doesn't hurt it isn't worth doing :)

@a_mahiwal: Thank you!

@Denman: Thanks, glad you like it!

/Anders

Lemog
05-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Whaouw... a good start... I don't want to cross him... It's seem real... real horror... aaaaaaaaaaah

Please... more... Professor :D

flyingP
05-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Guess I won't be sleeping tonight either :scream: :scream:

looking wicked Anders :D

Cartesius
05-22-2004, 11:28 PM
@Lemog: More is coming :)

@flyingP: Thanks Brian!

Update:
Needed a break from all texturing and lighting so I've started modelling the removed eye that will be in the surgeon's left hand. Will probably also bone the muscles to have better control over them once I get it in place.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/eye1.jpg

Lemog
05-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Very curious design for this eye :cool: I'm curious to see the continuation ;)

Cartesius
05-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Very curious design for this eye :cool: I'm curious to see the continuation ;)

It looks a bit odd right now but I wanted to show a "complete" eye, that is, complete with muscle tissue. The eyeball is controlled by six muscles and it's those that are showing.

Ref image:
http://www.pedseye.com/images/12.jpg

As you can see I still need to move one or two muscles around a little before I can call the modelling done. I will fix that tonight and start unwrapping and texturing the eye tomorrow.

/Anders

Lemog
05-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Ok :D

Cartesius
05-23-2004, 08:44 PM
The eye is almost done. Need to add some blood vessels and veins and then on with the scene.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/eye2.jpg

JamesMK
05-23-2004, 10:48 PM
That's a neat looking eye... I guess it could need a more varied spec map... other than that, quite excellent, particularly in its anatomical correctness :thumbsup:

Cartesius
05-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks, and you're right, some more variation in the specular channel would give it a boost. Will deal with it tomorrow!

Update:
Started blocking out the background some more. The pipes are modelled from ref pics I took the other day in the basemant of our apartment building, by the way. Still not sure if this is the look I want for the scene but I will give it a couple of days and see how it evolves. Will add some more stuff plus fill the black void to the right with something (haven't decided what yet).

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/wall1.jpg

DimitrisLiatsos
05-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Cool eye ....more tight specular will help it's realism...but it still is a fleshy eye....am i insane ...i am writing comments to someone who popped out someone's eye and post it here for us to be afraid??? :bounce:

Pyke
05-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Hey man,

1stly-let me just say that both your mechanical AND organic modeling skills are at the top of the game!
I am a little worried that the darkness of the image is washing out all of your amazing detail-which is a GREAT pity.

It could just be the size of the WIP that is throwing me off here.

Excellent work! Amazing details.

-c-

Cartesius
05-25-2004, 12:11 AM
@DimitrisLiatsos: A tighter specular would probably add to the realism so I will fix that tomorrow. And yes, you're insane :thumbsup:

@Pyke: Hi there, and thanks! I'm a bit concerned about the darkness myself but I will most likely add some spots around his hands and face to bring out more of the details.

Update and a serious problem:
OK folks, we have a problem: my computer can't handle the scene anymore -- it gives me out of memory messages as soon as I try to move a simple primitive. The real annoying thing is that it's not even done! I still have lots of work to do and my Dell is failing me... :banghead:

I will go over my textures tomorrow and see if I can't reduce the size on some of them, but I'm not sure how much I can go down. My head texture, for example, is 5000 x 3000 and weighs around 43MB. I made it this size to look good at render resolution (300 DPI) but I might have to forsake that bit. Spec, bump and diff are also the same size which of course adds to the burden, but at least spec and diff maps should do just fine with only half the size.

I'm also planning on render in layers, i.e. the foreground in one pass and background in a second and then composite the two in Photoshop. I might also render the background as soon as I have it done and then use the resulting image mapped to a plane instead of real geometry for the final render.

Anyway, below is what the viewport render looks like with all HyperNURBS switched off. The background is shaping up and I think I will keep it like this.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/environment_test.jpg

rattlesnake
05-25-2004, 12:33 AM
wow this last render looks stunning... hmm about your memory problem... im using 1500*1500 150dpi size textures for my girl and they seem to work fine... think about how far is going to be the final shot and make the textures look cool from there... i hope this helps a bit... great work man!

ODoul
05-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Man, at the risk of becoming a fanboy, :bowdown:

soapy
05-25-2004, 01:41 AM
Coming along really nicely as usual Anders. Some really great work since I last checked.

Forgive me if I am missing something but can't you just turn off a bunch of the items in the editor while you are working on others to save memory?

Ric535
05-25-2004, 02:30 AM
Jesus - thats a pic with all hypernurbs switched off!?! - you should see the state of some of my scenes with HN off - a blocky mess

Heres some ideas to speed up the viewport

What Soapy said
Viewport/Edit/Configure - Inactive Object - Wireframe or Isoparm
Viewport/Display/Disable Textures
Assign "Use Generators" (HN, Symmetry, Nurbs etc) to a hotkey and toggle when you are navigating through the scene (this ones my fave - i have it assigned to x and use it all the time - cos i got such a slow comp)
Display tag on certain objects so they only display in Box Wireframe or Isoparm
Lower the Redraw Limit in Preferences/Viewport - this way objects will turn to wireframe when they are selected allowing you to move them with ease
Paul Everett's Quick hide plugin (part of 10Comm Tools) - to hide every object in the scene except the one you are working on
Paul Everett's Flush Materials plugin (part of 10Comm Tools) - Flushes all the materials until it is pressed again (better than disabling textures - images can be rendered without textures to check lighting)
Samir Kharchi's Scene Manager plugin - SOE mode which allows you to extract objects from a heavy scene - work on them and then apply them back with changes made
Fabian Rosenkranz's Global On/Off plugin which will allow you to choose what is on and what is off in the scene - Hypernurbs and the like
Get a new computer :)

Oh - nice pic by the way ;)

Pyke
05-25-2004, 06:19 AM
I think that everybodys work is reaching breaking point now.

Ive had to render my image in 4 separate sections per layer. With 4 layers-its taken quite a while to get the final layers pieced together!
I was lucky tho, and learning from the last comp, used procedurals where ever possible. For diffuse, specular, bumps...ANYWHERE.

It did however get to a point where i had to be cruel to be kind, and once i had my final camera position, I chopped off everything the camera didnt see. Back of the head, spine, legs, elbows, etc etc etc.
But then again...maybe its the 20 000 individually modelled hairs that are getting to the image... :)

Just step back and take a careful look at the work. Take off 1 or 2 smoothing iterations if they arent really needed. Delete hidden detail. For instance, while im certain you have modeled the back of his shirt....CUT IT OFF! Same with his head.

ONTO the image tho-I LOVE the computer screens in the background. The blue glow really does give a 'new colour' that the image desparatley needed.

With the eyeball however...wouldnt he be holding the actual eyeball in his hand...not the muscles?

Good stuff!!

-C-

JamesMK
05-25-2004, 06:36 AM
Arrrrgh... The mere words 'memory problem' makes me feel.... er... totally at ease :D It's a permanent state over here at my end of things.... So, the things you need to do is to render out things in separate layers (like you've already considered) and where possible drop the bitmaps entirely and construct procedurals to replace them (that will slow down the rendering, but free up valuable RAM)... Finally, you can increase the size of your system swapfile... Yeah, all that swapping also makes everything slow as hell, but at least it makes it possible to get those really bitchin render passes out.

If all else fails, I can lend you my PC :D That will certainly give you a good idea about what memory problems can be like!

Seriously though, I hope it works out.

turner
05-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Hello Anders

Looking great so far.

Have you thought about some blue light from the computer screens illuminating the side of his face?

One major crit (sorry) I think the face needs a little more of an expression. A sly grin or somthing like that.

(sorry if these have been mentioned before, I havn't had time to read all of the posts.)

cheers

turner

Cartesius
05-25-2004, 09:51 AM
@rattlesnake: Yep, reducing texture sizes is something that probably must be done (more info below).

@3D_Explorer: :thumbsup:

@soapy: Turning off objects while working is an option for working with the scene but I still can't render.

@Ric_535: Many good suggestions there! I've been keeping an eye on 10comm tools for some time now and it looks more and more like something I could really use. Display tags is a feature I should use more but I somehow tend to forget about them. Fabian's plugin is very good and I use it constantly. Thanks!

@Pyke: I agree, most of those involved in this challenge are probably pressing their computers to the max by now. I use procedurelas wherever I can -- the apron, the shirt (or scrubs) and on various other details. I suppose I could slap some procedurals on much of the other stuff as well.

Smoothing iterations could be dropped on many objects, that's a good idea! The modelling is actually quite modest already, at least concerning some areas -- his shirt doesn't have a back, for instance. On the other hand I think the instruments are using a bit more definition than needed and I know some of the detailing could be taken down a notch or two.

The image: he will be holding the actual eyeball but since I had to switch off HyperNURBS it looks like he's holding just the muscles.

@JamesMK: LOL! I forgot that your computer is just packed with raw power! I've read your sig so many times and thinking to myself: "How the heck can he do such great work on such a crappy machine?" :)

@Turner: Some blue light is a good idea, will fix that as soon as possible! He will get some sort of expression eventually, I've just been putting it off since I have no idea on how to accomplish it without making him look weird (I've never done a facial expression before). Will experiment with it next weekend.

Update and status:
Last night, before I went to bed, I reduced my 43MB and 5000 x 3000 sized head texture to 3000 x 1500. The weight dropped to 15MB and although the texture looks a bit crummy up close I believe this is the way I have to go. Bump map was reduced to the same size, while specularity and diffusion was taken down to 1000 x 500 each. Combined with the aid of Display tags (thanks for reminding me, Ric!) the scene is now managable again and more important, it can render!

I'm back in business! :beer:

/Anders

JamesMK
05-25-2004, 10:12 AM
the scene is now managable again and more important, it can render!

Yay!

And there was much rejoicing! :beer:

JamesMK
05-25-2004, 10:12 AM
*** humpf? ****

Yay! My first double post! :D .... damn...

Cartesius
05-25-2004, 01:02 PM
*** humpf? ****

Yay! My first double post! :D .... damn...

There's a first time for everything, you know... :D

/Anders

Tremoside
05-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi Cartesius,

I hope your problems will be resolved...it's a sad thing to hear about these hard things.

The most important your project is really interesting and well modelled...and everything. Congrats:bowdown:

Ps: monitors at the back are superb too

rattlesnake
05-25-2004, 06:45 PM
the scene is now managable again and more important, it can render!

yeahh! thats cool,, keep rocking the place man!:beer: :buttrock:

Ric535
05-25-2004, 08:00 PM
@Ric_535: Many good suggestions there! I've been keeping an eye on 10comm tools for some time now and it looks more and more like something I could really use. Display tags is a feature I should use more but I somehow tend to forget about them. Fabian's plugin is very good and I use it constantly. Thanks!

Get it - its great! - not essential like mesh surgery but very useful!

I assumed you had Fabians Global On Off plugin - as when you posted that image with hypernurbs off you probably used it then i am guessing :)

Cartesius
05-25-2004, 08:10 PM
@Tremoside: Thanks, and I think I have it under control again. I will probably post another update later tonight. Yep, those monitors came out pretty good. :)

@rattlesnake: Will do!

@Ric_535: Well, your post convinced me, so I ordered it earlier today. :thumbsup: And yes, Fabian's plugin saved me last night when I did the non-HyperNURBS render (very handly little plugin!).

/Anders

Cartesius
05-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Another update, this time with HyperNURBS enabled.

/Anders

http://www.mariannelaimer.com/trams/environment_test2.jpg

cb8rwh
05-25-2004, 11:55 PM
I really like this whole piece, I just think that in the first render the light on the doctor's face was slightly less bright, making it seem, to me anyway, more sinister.

either way it's brilliant :)

cheers

rich

JamesMK
05-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Brilliantness!

Flinging two ideas - how about a subtle upwards curl of the very outmost corners of his lips, like an even sicker smile? - and how about some blood splattered on those monitors in the background? Old blood backlit by luminous monitors... now there's a cool thing ;)

Cartesius
05-26-2004, 01:18 PM
@cb8rwh: Thank you, and now that you mention it I realize I have an extra spot that illuminates his face a bit more then in the previous image. Will tone it down a bit.

@The BunnyMan: And two good ideas it is! His facial expression will get a little attention in the coming days, and a blood spurt on one of the monitor screens could look cool. It could also look like a misplaced black blob but we'll never know until I try :)

/Anders

JamesMK
05-26-2004, 01:29 PM
It could also look like a misplaced black blob

Bwaahaa! Yeah, that would be less cool of course.... :D

jddog
05-26-2004, 02:21 PM
you are a master :bowdown: I'm impressed... really.

Just a comment... the sweat shirt is really 'plstic' I think this is a wish, but like some vinilystic wear the bumb look like a little bit to 'hard', just a poitn of view.

jdd

braindust
05-26-2004, 02:34 PM
great image!

some comments though (not sure if I am repeating something here, no time to go through all the posts):
the space between the eyebrows seem to look a bit strange to me, perhaps you could put some more wrinkles (perpendicular to the ones in his forehead)
the scar over his lip looks to me a bit too black (have you tried giving it more red color?)
the fingers on the right hand look a bit too thick

I guess those gas tanks will get some rusty textures?

sorry..,. am I being too picky?

Virtuoso
05-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Anders............................You have given your work a very well rounded high end effort.From idea to modeling intricate details to textures,all done with great care and a very nice touch....................Nice work in all aspects,just here to let you know I appreaciate your efforts and results................Now keep your PC cool from all the heat you are generating with this high end work.........;) :)

Nice in all regards....................:buttrock:

DimitrisLiatsos
05-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Last update .....really kicks a**s. Oh boy ...have u seen screenshots of Doom 3 ...it really has that kind of light in your scene...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cartesius
05-26-2004, 09:58 PM
@JamesMK: Blood is in place! I kinda like it so I think it will stay.

@jddog: Thanks for pointing that out, I'll see what I can do! Soon I have to start taking notes on everything that needs to be fixed :)

@braindust: No, you're not being too picky at all! I've been staring at this model for almost two months now and I'm practically blind for just about everything -- fresh eyes sees new things.

Some more wrinkles or general definition in the area between his eyebrows is a good idea, I'll see what I can make of it. Some more red in his scar is easily fixed so that will be taken care of. His fingers do indeed look rather thick but they are the same size as the left hand's. I suppose the angle and placement makes them look thicker. The gas tanks will be textured (see image).

@Virtuoso: Thank you, glad you like it!

Update:
The environment is practically done now, I think. I've textured the gas tanks and also moved them around a bit. I needed something subtle to fill the black area to the right in the image and considering my recent experience with memory issues I wasn't too keen on model something extraordinary. I've also doodled with some other stuff but nothing too serious.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/environment_test3.jpg

Cartesius
05-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey Dimitris, you must have posted while I was typing! Same lighting as Doom 3, you say? Now that's cool, will have to check out the screen shots again, been some time since I last saw them. :)

And here's the environment in plain ol' default colour.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/environment_plain.jpg

DimitrisLiatsos
05-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Don't get me wrong ...it was ment as a FULL compliment!!!:drool: Your light and textures have that dark look and u are almost afraid when u think that u are in a basement like this...Spooky!:bounce:

JamesMK
05-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Right on! The blood sits well there... a spot of dirt... it's all good.

Erik
05-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Only a word, i love your thread !
modeling and texturinf are really beautiful.
good job !
im looking for the end !

soapy
05-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Great work on the background Anders. I dont have too much to say your image is pretty stunning really. But I have to agree with JD I am not too keen on the Liberace shirt.

Cartesius
05-28-2004, 12:40 AM
@DimitrisLiatsos: Believe me, I take it as a compliment!

@JamesMK: Yep, the blood spurt stays.

@Erik: Thank you, glad you like it!

@soapy: OK, the Liberace shirt is toned down :) Better?

Update:
Have re-arranged the lighting a bit but I'm not convinced this is better -- I need opinions! I've also tried to put some sort of smirk on his lips and, well... It's different :)

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/environment_test4.jpg

soapy
05-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Much better, the shirt no longer distracts focus from more important elements of the image.

rajdeep
05-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Hey cartesius Was out for some time and when I come back I see you have made a hell lot of progress. It's looking great, Your texturing is absolutely fantastic..Keep rocking man...:thumbsup:

Lemog
05-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Yes... better, without doubt :thumbsup:

Lighting is very good, color of face better... then, more realistic...

And the new position of the mounth give to him a more expressive attitude... more strong, more frightening...

Good work Anders :applause:

flyingP
05-28-2004, 07:00 AM
It's working for me :scream:

Nice work Anders :applause:

rattlesnake
05-28-2004, 07:12 AM
wow that hand is awesome.. the image is looking cool with the new things... i love the blood on the monitor.... now im looking the eye that is in his hand and i think that maybe can have some viscosity .... u knoww falling to the floor like this::drool: but in that eye.... nice work man!

JamesMK
05-28-2004, 07:22 AM
It looks really really good! It did before too of course, but this is one notch better.

Very good lighting and a very cool smirk.

One crit - the current lighting seems to have made his nose look a bit funny... there's too much contrast between it and the surrounding skin now....

One suggestion - some rimlight on his head: either a subtle soft rim or a strong reflective "splash" on his left temple.

DimitrisLiatsos
05-28-2004, 09:28 AM
It looks bettter ...but if i may suggest something...i would put an omni light with shadows on and fast Dropp off in front of his face in order to catch the full face and some shirt details and also to stop that wierd look of the red nose thing...just a thought.

Bottom line ...i like this one but i also like the one before, just that it needed little less specular on the shirt....

hope i helped!!! NUTS!!!

:bounce:

Cartesius
05-28-2004, 11:57 AM
@soapy: Great, the material stays then!

@rajdeep: Thanks!

@Lemog: Thank you! The light rig will probably be tweaked some more but as a general approach it will probably work.

@flyingP: Thanks!

@rattlesnake: Thanks! The eye needs some more work, and I will attend to that this weekend.

@JamesMK: LOL! You're right, his nose does indeed look a bit odd :) That will be fixed and some sort of rimlight is not a bad idea either.

@DimitrisLiatsos: Yes, a better placed light would probably help to tone down the nose job and illuminate his features without loosing the mood. Thanks, and NUTS! :thumbsup:

There will be no update tonight as I'm going to a party but stay tuned for tomorrow!

/Anders

braindust
05-28-2004, 06:00 PM
incredible image! :buttrock:

one suggestion: could you try to put a bit of the hand shadows to fall on his face? I am not sure this will really work (perhaps it will take too much space out of the face), but if it works it can give it some more dramatic feeling (if that's possible :))

Cartesius
05-30-2004, 01:17 AM
@braindust: Thanks, glad you like it! Your idea about the shadow from the hand falling on his face was an excellent one, but unfortunately I couldn't get working for me. The shadow was simply too wide once it hit the face and covered almost every detail. Good idea, though, and I will continue experimenting :)

Update:
Added some subtle rimlight as well as a brighter blue tint to his head. I've also fixed the nose so it doesn't look quite as dark anymore. The big thing is that I've replaced his left hand with a glove. The main reason is that I just couldn't get that hand to look good, no matter how I tried. Finally, after much :banghead: I decided to go with Peter C's earlier suggestion about a glove but making it thicker and more like an industrial glove than a surgical one.

What do you think? Does it fit, is the colour right, and so on? If I keep it I will add blood stains on his fingers.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/environment_test5.jpg

ODoul
05-30-2004, 01:35 AM
Hello Anders, I think the glove looks better than the hand but i'm not sold on the texture. It looks very metalic to me.

JamesMK
05-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Rim = good!

Glove = good! (maybe just tweak the specularity to get a more rubbery feeling... try some negative falloff on the spec)

Nose = still looks a bit funny, there's a very strong dark line around the edges where it connects to the skin so to speak... maybe if the middle bit that flows over to the upper lip could be smoothed out slightly... could help. Also, if the shader has some specials going on in the illumination model, like a tweaked diffuse falloff or something like that, maybe shift that value into a more subtle zone.

Summary = Aye!

DimitrisLiatsos
05-30-2004, 09:46 AM
JamesMK spoke for me too....:bounce:

and i repeat the summary...

Aye!!!:bounce:

Cartesius
05-30-2004, 11:49 AM
@3D_Explorer: The material needs to be tweaked, I agree.

@JamesMK: The dark shadow lines are caused by the bulk of the light coming from below his face and his nostrils creates that shadow. I've now placed two dim omnis just in front and a bit above the nose to lighten them up a bit (image below).

@DimitrisLiatsos: Aye :)

Update:
As you can see I've tried to brighten up the shadows "behind" his nose, and next up is the glove material.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/facelight.jpg

JamesMK
05-30-2004, 11:53 AM
A subtle difference, but yes, it looks better! :thumbsup:

Cartesius
05-30-2004, 12:00 PM
A subtle difference, but yes, it looks better! :thumbsup:

Cool! Then on with the glove i go :)

/Anders

Cartesius
05-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Before and after screen grabs. Better?

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/glovetest.jpg

ThirdEye
05-30-2004, 01:51 PM
the older was better. The problem is the specular of the palm, not the specular of the rest of the glove

Cartesius
05-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ThirdEye
the older was better. The problem is the specular of the palm, not the specular of the rest of the glove

Could you be a bit more specific? Is the specular too wide, too narrow, too strong or too weak? Something else compeltely?

/Anders

Cartesius
05-30-2004, 05:21 PM
More experimenting:

Test 1 has the light coming from below and slightly behind the hand -- no light on the palm. Test 2 has the light coming from below and a bit in front of the hand (almost right under the eyeball and it's basically the old light at a lower position). Test 2 also has a much weaker strength then test 1.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/glovetest3.jpg

JamesMK
05-30-2004, 05:23 PM
M'kay - test 1 certainly has a better readability.

Tremoside
05-31-2004, 12:32 AM
I think test1 is better allthough if i were you i try to add a backlight to pick up the forearm from the backround....:rolleyes:
PS: In my experience too dark scenes are problematic in printing because that is usually can't reproduce the contrast of a monitor....maybe you should print all your tests on a page and you can see what will happen...

Except these print suggs your work is an awesome set of mood!!
Keep it up Anders:buttrock:
Cya,
Tremo

Cartesius
05-31-2004, 02:07 AM
@JamesMK: I agree, better visibility but I'm not too fond of breaking the lighting scheme -- the light comes from the complete opposite direction as the rest of the setup. Arrgh! :banghead:

@Tremoside: I always tend to forget the backlights, for some reason... Anyway, I've done some more experimenting as you can see below :)

Good idea about printing! Will do that tomorrow, thanks!

Update:
OK, tweaking mode now officially entered! The glove has a new light -- one from below and one from the back, tinted blue to imitate the monitor glow. The background lighting has been toned down to emphasise the main character. The neck piping has been re-arranged (I wasn't satisfied with the way it just... disappeared up in the roof earlier). Will continue working with the lights tomorrow :)

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/envandlighttest12.jpg

ThirdEye
05-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Now the glove is perfect :)

Cartesius
05-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ThirdEye
Now the glove is perfect :)

Great :thumbsup:

/Anders

JamesMK
05-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Looks very good, and the blue accent lights add a lot to the general believability.

Oh, and thanks for the plugin tips in my thread - I'll put those things to work and see what damage can be done :D

Ionized
06-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Damn, how did I miss this thread....

.......duh..........

Wicked scene man! Good to see some characters in the comp with some genuine emotion in them.

Its fantastic, I really like the mood you have created and the very understated lighting.

Everything is good. Only thing I could crit at the moment is that his apron is lacking the detail you have put everywhere else in the image. Maybe some cuts and scratches to break it up?

jddog
06-01-2004, 03:10 PM
:applause: you are a master ! congrats Anders, it's a wonderful creation !

jdd

GI-JOe2k
06-01-2004, 07:07 PM
:applause: great work:applause:
nothing to say , nothing to crit....:thumbsup:

Cartesius
06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
@JamesMK: Yes, Fabian's plugin saved my hiney as well not long ago, really useful stuff.

@Ionized: Thank you! The apron lacks details, I know, and I will try to fix it eventually.

@jddog: Thanks Julien :)

@GI-JOe2k :thumbsup:

/Anders

Tremoside
06-02-2004, 03:09 PM
That little blue backlight is that small miracle what you needed there. The glove is OK now!!!
Your scene is a perfect and well designed horror.
That bizarre facial expression is wonderful...he say: komm babe let me fix you...hehh
Cya,
Tremo

Cartesius
06-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Thank you, Tremo :thumbsup:

Update:
OK, I think I'm nearing completion on this challenge. I'm still working on his apron (as you can see below it's changed back to a leather one) and I'm also thinking about doing something with his shirt to make it more interesting. But apart from that I find myself just picking away at details, so I think I will soon call it done and start working on the compositing. I will render in two passes -- background in one and surgeon in a second, and then composite in Photoshop. But I need your help: should I have depth of field (DOF) enabled or not?

I'm attaching two renders, one with DOF and one without. Which looks best? If I go for DOF, is it too strong?

With DOF:

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/surg_blur.jpg

And without DOF:

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/surg_no_blur.jpg

/Anders

Cartesius
06-02-2004, 07:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086204806_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086204806_large.jpg)

This is my final modeling milestone without textures (but with lights). One or two details may be added but nothing that will change the overall composition.

/Anders

M-Saber
06-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Well ... i gotta say it looks pretty good with the DOF ... & its just fine as it is .. u dont need to increase the DOF also ... it's just fine as it is. ,,,, Or thats what i think:hmm:
anyways... Good luck .. & nice hard & clean work:applause: :scream:

Russo
06-02-2004, 08:11 PM
haven´t see this one yet, very very machineflesh, interesting, great light too, maybe a little lighter on the background so we could see more details :thumbsup:

ODoul
06-03-2004, 01:23 AM
I like the DOF, If you will allow me to make one critique this late in the game, it would have to be about the eye. Although I'm quite certain it is atotomically correct, the textures seem to be letting it down a bit. As it is, it looks a bit to static to me. Like it's made of plastic. Anyway, you have outdone yourself here, Anders. It's a fine piece of work. You should be proud. Good luck!

Lemog
06-03-2004, 05:51 AM
For sure, without doubt I prefer with DOF... :beer:

JamesMK
06-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Yes, definitely with DOF is the way to go (I like the fact that you kept it rather subtle too.)

So - You're almost done then!

My summary: perfect modeling (almost too perfectionistic ;) ), absolutely top-notch textures (no surprise there), excellent lighting to underline the intended mood, great environment that is only what it's supposed to be, i.e. a non-intrusive backdrop, a very nice composition and pose... all based on a brilliant concept....

I could also say: "dood, u r0xx0rs! :buttrock: :buttrock: [:arschgeil:]"

:D

Tremoside
06-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi Anders,

DOF version is much better, than the other. Only for a trick: usually rendered DOF increasing the time and control it well is a bit hard. You can't use special settings just a "linear" DOF. I mean sometimes better way if you do it by manual post effect in photoshop. With Photoshop tools you can keep the DOF simulation under heavy control with your special taste. Why is it useful? Because if you use a standard DOF via rendering, That will generate two main stages: foreground(character) and backround. You can senze the depth distance between them but the depth around the figure will be minimal. To avoid this you should set a shorter range of DOF but in this case the picture will look like a photo taken with macro lens and the figure will look like a 20 cm tall person. Just a suggestion...

The other thing....His left shoulder with the blue backlight flips the perspective. Why? The right shoulder is dark allthough that's closer to the viewpoint till the right is is brighter and the light gives a contrast to it. Some blur on the left shoulder can fix this or if you add more contrast to the right that would be a goal.

You know am not a master of lights and your work is over my knowledge. Just suggestions from me....maybe help maybe not.
The most important to make your work better and better time after time. Big respect to you :bowdown: :bowdown:
Cya,
Tremo

MikaelPersson
06-03-2004, 01:03 PM
I have been a silent watcher for a long time now. But I just thought I should chip in on the DOF issue.
I really like your piece of work, those textures gives such a life to your creation.
Now, back to your question. Yes, go for DOF but I would say a tiny bit less than what you have right now. Making a minature set of the whole thing is the least you want.
Are you aware of compund blur in After Effects? Built in blur that uses Z-Depth to blur selectivly. If you got the money frischluft (http://www.frischluft.com/) has a very nice plugin for DOF that uses the Z channel too.

Good luck!

Cartesius
06-03-2004, 09:49 PM
@El Maistro: Thank you, glad you like it!

@Russo: Thanks! The background is intentionally left rather dark as I wanted most of the focus to be on the character. Maybe a tad bit brighter wouldn't hurt, though.

@3D_Explorer: You're quite right, the eye needs better textures as well as better specular. My wife said it looked like it was made of porcelaine so I will definitely need to re-work that bit.

@Lemog: Great!

@JamesMK: Thank you, mistah wabbit dude! :thumbsup:

@Tremoside: Two good points: DOF and the light. I will probably render the DOF as a separate pass and finetune it in post. I see what you mean about the lighting and I'll try to balance it better.

@Mikael P: I will try with softer DOF and see what it looks like. I don't have AE, I'm afraid, but I just noticed that the Lenscare plugin is available for Photoshop as well. I will download the demo and give it a spin. It I like it I might very well purchase it -- $55 is not that bad if it's good.

Summa summarum:
OK, the DOF stays! Maybe lessen the impact a bit but definitely keep it. I will aslo go over my lights one more time and maybe fix Tremo's suggestion about balance.

Cheers!

/Anders

EmpY
06-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Great atmosphere, light, modeling!!
And it is right on the spot!!:thumbsup:

Cartesius
06-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by EmpY
Great atmosphere, light, modeling!!
And it is right on the spot!!:thumbsup:

Thank you!

Update:
Well, one major thing has changed -- I've removed the single eye. I was never satisfied with it. The textures were not good (looked like crap when I test rendered at the final resolution) and although the modeling was anatomically correct, it looked very odd (couldn't find any good ref pics for "ripped out eyeball" on Google no matter what :p )

What I've done instead is to place a lens in his left hand. He has removed the eye from the patient and we see him with the mechanics that will take its place. This was actually something I considered when doing the concept sketch, but decided that an eye would look more gruesome. It would but I couldn't pull it off the way I wanted so I removed it.

Oh, and I've also tested my new copy of Frischluft's Lenscare for the DOF. Worked like a charm, so many thanks to Mikael P. for suggesting it!

It's almost done now...

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/mp.jpg

sad
06-05-2004, 02:08 AM
i didn´t like the eye eighter. :rolleyes: absolutely fabulous work!

harnelbe
06-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Vision of horror !!
This surgeon make me have chicken skin....
:cool:

Wi_2
06-05-2004, 02:38 AM
wow:beer:

mosconariz
06-05-2004, 05:29 AM
I'll gonna miss your rotten bloody images! :cry:

rattlesnake
06-05-2004, 07:08 AM
truly amazing! your work is topnotch man... and im very impressed!... the choices u made are great and the way you solved everything is admirable.... well im waiting for final man ....but your image rock as one of the best right now!.... this challenge have the greatest 3d artist i ever saw!

MikaelPersson
06-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Nice, yes that little DOF plugg worked wonders. I am happy that my little post helped you push things even further.
The new lens works so much better too than that eye.

I am just a bit sceptic about the texture/shader on that left glove. To me it looks a bit to much like metal. Maybe tone down the highlights or add more cracks to break them up.

Cartesius
06-05-2004, 08:59 PM
@sad: Thanks!

@harnelbe: LOL :)

@Wi_2: Thanks!

@mosconariz: Don't worry, I have scarier stuff than this cooking :)

@rattlesnake: Thank you. There's a huge body of talent participating in this contest, and I'm honoured by your words!

@Mikael P: I can never get that glove to look good :banghead: If you browse back a page or two you'll see the discussion we had earlier about it. I have now tweaked it some more and I hope to post a screen grab later tonight.

/Anders

Cartesius
06-06-2004, 12:39 AM
This is the final glove. I'm starting to reach that particular point I'm sure I share with everyone in here, where I look at what I've done so far and feel a sudden urge to replace each and every shader in it -- nothing looks good!

There's still some time left so maybe I could just try the shirt with that shader instead... :)

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/glove.jpg

Peter C.
06-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Fy fan va bra Anders! :thumbsup:

I hope you can find a way to show all the hard worked details you have done on every part of the character :bounce:

MikaelPersson
06-06-2004, 04:11 PM
oh yes. That stage of the shading process is so familiar.
This last glove looks quite good. I think the only gripes I have with it are the strong highlights. But then again what I am picturing might not necessarily be realistic.
My last advice on the matter (if you want to dabble some more with it that is) would be to make the intensity maybe 95-98% of the current one. Diffuse the edges of those highlights and let them spread over a tiny larger area. Mind you, this isn't much just a tiny tiny bit.
But then again backseat shading is so easy.

Cartesius
06-06-2004, 07:16 PM
@Peter C: Tackar! :thumbsup:

@Mikael P: Backseating is easy, I know -- I do it all the time :) I have tweaked it some more in post (see image below)and I think I will have to leave it now (I'm one of those who once I get started really don't know when to stop).

Update:
If everything goes well I will be posting my final image tonight. I have a couple of milestones to prepare and they will arrive shortly after this post.

/Anders

http://www.cartesiuscreations.com/wips/machineflesh/glove_2.jpg

Cartesius
06-06-2004, 07:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086551368_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086551368_large.jpg)

Depth map and background render combinded with frischluft's Lenscare plugin in Photoshop to get some DOF.

/Anders

Cartesius
06-06-2004, 07:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086551454_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086551454_large.jpg)

Some of the alpha masks I rendered for use in Photoshop.

/Anders

Cartesius
06-06-2004, 07:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086551677_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086551677_large.jpg)

Two renders were made with Cinema, one background (as you can see in the image I can't spell :) ) and one foreground. Using alphas these were then composited in Photoshop.

/Anders

Cartesius
06-06-2004, 09:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086556194_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2270/2270_1086556194_large.jpg)

OK guys, this is it, the final image. All that's left now is to upload the high resolution to the FTP and then move on to other projects. It's been one fun ride, hasn't it :)

Thanks to all who supported me, gave me suggestions, beer and good laughs!

/Anders

DimitrisLiatsos
06-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Bravo!...simply Bravo!!! cool job man...i am happy for ya.

EmpY
06-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Bravo! :applause:
Extremely nice piece!!!

harnelbe
06-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Nice Explanations about the compositing.
Wonderfull work you've done man !
You've finished in time !....

cb8rwh
06-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Awesome!!

Ever since the early stages of modelling the surgical hand this has been one of the best in this comp!!

Good luck matey!!

JamesMK
06-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Well, congratulations on your finished entry, Anders!

I've said it before, but I can repeat the hightlights: perfect (in all aspects).

And a nice run-down on the art of compositing as well. Great going, good luck!

Cartesius
06-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Thank you, guys!

I think I must stop looking at my image because every time I do I see things I could have made better or that would look better with a slight modification. But on the other hand I suppose that's quite normal :D

Once again, a BIG thanks to all who helped me through this, your support and suggestions were absolutely invalueable for me!

/Anders

Lemog
06-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes.... Congratulation Anders... challenge is finish for you... then sincerely good luck for your artwork... I like a lot... :applause:
You're one of the greatest artists here... see you soon :wavey:

jddog
06-07-2004, 01:15 PM
:applause: + :bowdown:

Anders congratulation !!! Is a wonderful work, you ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!........ and !

jdd

sad
06-07-2004, 01:58 PM
wher would i get lenscare? is it free?

Cartesius
06-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by sad
wher would i get lenscare? is it free?

You can get it from http://www.frischluft.com/ but it's not free, I'm afraid, although $55 for a "private" license is not overly expensive.

/Anders

mwa
06-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Sooo cool! I'm very happy to see that you finished it and in such excellent way! Congrats Anders :bowdown:

Trenox
06-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Dark and sinister picture - I like it!

really good job Anders :thumbsup:

MikaelPersson
06-08-2004, 11:16 AM
The post work on that glove did the trick.
The end result is quite a impressive piece of work. Good luck on the voting man!

rattlesnake
06-08-2004, 11:48 AM
i just extend the good comments... youre a great artist and u achieved a great result... this final image is very impressive and is one of the best i ever seen... well i wish u luck for the voting... you deserve one of the first places man!

Cartesius
06-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Thank you, people, I really appreciate it!

/Anders

Tremoside
06-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Congratulations Anders!!!

You've made here an excellent work. It's like a dream....perfect!!!!
I sad dream? I mean:professional nightmare...
Cya,
Tremo

Virtuoso
06-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Wanted to stop by and give you my congrats on seeing this nice detailed work a fine conclusion.........By the way it's too bad you never made it over to my thread,can you imagine,I missed you there for almost three months,I noticed you gave some great support to the top threads as well as others giving there best efforts,it would have been nice to see you over there,but hey things happen for a reason,it's cool................:)

Anyways,nice effort,and some fine results............You should be proud.................:thumbsup: :buttrock:

Cartesius
06-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Virtuoso, I'm sorry! :cry: I actually HAVE been subscribing to your thread, almost from day 1, but for some reason I never posted anything. I just never got around to it but I can honestly not say why. I will remedy this at once!

/Anders

soapy
06-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Wow, superb job all around Anders. Good luck, I think you will finish high up.

roctavian
06-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Cartesius, I`m sure that all your character`s devices could improve my health, but I must say that I would not want to be treated by your Oculus Medicus.
Why he is looking at me ?
His stare, indeed, is terrifieing and frightening.
If it wasn`t a futuristic character I could thought that`s a real picture.
Nice work, man.
Good luck,

pro