PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Richard Pritchard

creativer
03-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Richard Pritchard has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

creativer
03-22-2004, 01:31 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1079962293_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1079962293_large.jpg)

This is my first concept not too sure what type of theme I'll eventually go for. The concept is a WIP itself. The story goes like this... mother nature is dying in the wake of human destruction. The govenments of earth finally have decided to save nature properly but time is short and mother nature can no longer sustain herself. The wolrds best tree doctors construct a massive drip feed directly into her roots while her precious life giving leaves are treated like pure gold. Each branch is encased in a glass jar from which oxygen is collected and stored in massive containers to keep us alive. Well thats the idea running in my head at the moment... more to come later...

Cheers
Rich

creativer
04-09-2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1081521964_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1081521964_large.jpg)

Hello everyone!
Well I must say its amazing to see so many awesome concept artists in this comp! I've been looking at the progress everyday and its like everything I can think of has been done by someone else even this one I've posted up here. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Its so hard to be original some keep saying theres nothing new under the sun and I'm starting to think their right!

This concept was about a GREAT EXCHANGE...
In the future we have completely destroyed every living plant on earth and this is the only tree left.

It's actually mother nature. But the only way to keep her alive is to pump man made minerals and water directly into her roots.

Her leaves give of Oxygen which is then contained and stored for our survival so hence the beginning of the Great Exchange. I thought of making mother nature a more nimph like character.

The idea of the machine was that it would take a machine the size of a small city to keep her alive.

But I've seen a similar idea by another artist and so I'm going to start over. All the best to the dude doing the tree theme! Your stuff is looking great!

I still like the massive city machine thing idea so I might look at different uses maybe transport?

I'm trying to avoid any military or gory evil theme. Instead I'm trying to think out of the box... someting beautiful... maybe medicinal?

But definately a concept that is fresh and new... if its possible... he he

I'm so far behind everyone now and after seeing some amazing 2D paintings and 3D modelling I'm really starting to feel a little... well behind.

I'm just in awe at the amount of work some dudes are doing... where do you get the time?

I'm squeezing time in on the train to work and an hour before my wife drags me to bed... 'kick and screaming' anyone relate? he he

This concept is just making my brain swell on one side. I feel like i'm walking with a egg shape thing sticking out of my head cause I can't think of anything new... arhhhh anyone relate?

Is anyone else in this comp looking at other peoples concepts and progress and just thinking... man... how did they get such a cool idea?... well I'm with ya.

O.K. dudes yes that's way they call it a CHALLENGE!!!! ... oh dear what have I gotten myself into.... he he

Chow for now you crazy cool dudes!

Thanks for reading this rant you may now go and pee..... (JOKE).. he he

Andreyev
04-09-2004, 04:08 PM
I like it, sounds very impressive!! Concept is very huge and detalized... There is a lot of work here to do. I wish you good luck and of course I'm waiting for some 3d :beer:

EmpY
04-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Your concept and sketches are great.
bring it on!!
:thumbsup:

theuni
04-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Very nice idea indeed. But maybe you can explain me the reference of your illustration to the "flesh" part of this contest?
It seems to me that everything is 100% herbal with some technical elements.

creativer
04-10-2004, 04:11 AM
Theuni: Thanks for that. Well the flesh part was supposed to be the tree nimp. I was thinking of making her alot more human with bits of tree, kinda like a tree woman but since i'm going to leave this concept a lone I haven't developed it further. But your right anit no flesh in that concept only good old tree bark flesh he he... problem with this idea is that every time I added the womens face or body parts it just ended up looking like TreeBread from LORD of the RINGs... cheers

EmpY: Thanks for the encouragement hopefully my new concept won't dissapoint ya.

grape: Thanks dude, if you thought that was huge the stuff im thinking of next is gonna make this one look tiny!... mmmm... not sure if can pull it off but if I can then most likely my head would look like its been melted with toxic waste, my eyes would turn square like a monitor and my bottom would merge with my seat... well at least I could wheel my self around... nah then people would laugh at me and call me WheelyButt! mmmmm... or they might call me MACHINEFLESH-MAN! :eek:

creativer
04-14-2004, 02:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1081950095_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1081950095_large.jpg)

Hello all,
This is by far the biggest challenge I've ever taken.
It’s amazing to see such fantastic concepts coming out of this.
I've been extremely inspired by other artist and can only hope
one day to come close to such great talent!

'DRAKONTAS EXEREVNO' is Greek for 'The dragon Explorer' and the theme of this concept/story.

A long time ago before the age of men their existed a world of great beasts and wondrous creatures.
A world of peace and tranquillity, full of the newest of creation, of beauty and marvellous lands far and beyond.

And in this world live many mighty creatures one of which was called the 'THASSA-DRAKONTAS' or 'LAND-DRAGONS'.
Although flightless they were a breed of powerful fire breathing animals, beautiful in appearance,
wise in speech and by far the most elegant in manner.

But one such LAND-DRAGON was not like the rest of his regal and knowledgeable peers.
DRAKTOA was by far not an intellectual land dragon, he longed for the cool breeze of the sea.
Day after day he spent swimming in the surf, diving deep down until he ran out of breath or a giant crab clipped his nose.
He spent so much time surfing on his belly and diving that he befriended a rather large town of sea crabs,
who grew very fond of DRAKTOA and shared stories of far away places and majestic lands full of wonder, just the thing
a young dragon needs to fuel his days of day dreaming and nights of sleep thinking.

His mother would constantly yell at him saying if he didn't sit down and read he'll grow dumb
and spend the rest of his days blowing fire out of his bum as a candle maker. His dad was a scientist who loved
to study botany, weeds and worms as DRAKTOA saw them.

For DRAKTOA life was too exciting to live lying down or sitting reading boring books about botany, even throughout school
he would blow farts though his long nose, then light it and boom! The blast could be heard for miles, one day he wondered if he could
blow a fart hard enough it would travel around the world and back again?

He dreamed of travelling the seas and exploring the strange wonderful lands the crabs had mentioned.
But he was a 'THASSA-DRAKONTAS' and it wasn't proper for 'LAND-DRAGONS' to even think of
going near the water let alone swim in it!

DRAKTOA was trapped on land, his dreams but a flicker in the specular ripples of the crystal waves.
To leave his family clan without an education was dishonourable, he either had to marry a noble girl dragon which
would release him from his family clan commitments or spend the next two hundred years studying worms and lizard droppings!

DRAKTOA thought all the girl dragons were ugly or just plain high maintenance! The amount of hours those girle dragons
spent sharpening their claws and shining their scales was enough to grow a mile long nose beard!
And if that wasn't enough they always hung out in herds yapping about the latest and greatest dude-dragon with
big scales and long tails... DRAKTOA thought this was all a joke and very shallow.

He thought life had to be more than this! What good is all the worm poo knowledge in the world or a sparkly girl dragon
when the adventures of a life time could be across and distant shore!
But alas there was reality staring him in the face.
DRAKTOA was only a Land-Dragon and Land-Dragons stay on the LAND!

Until one misty morning...

To be continued...
Sorry friends its late and I've go to work early in the morning its deadline week!

Hope you all like it.
Thanks for reading this far
Great to hear your comments too...

Cheers!

creativer
04-15-2004, 03:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1082039252_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1082039252_large.jpg)

Until one misty morning a large group of elder Dragons came to his field asking for his father. It was news that the great first born dragon the most wise and powerful of dragons DRONAKA had fallen ill by a strange disease. DRAKTOA’s father rushed to his aid but could find no cure for his illness. Not even the wisest elder Dragons could ease his suffering. The Land Dragons were a proud race being the ones of supreme knowledge and power but they could not bring themselves to ask for help. Until word spread of DRONAKA’s sickness and the old crab King Krusher heard of it. He was and old friend of DRONAKA and therefore was able in enter his field.

King Krusher cried at the site of his once mighty and youthful friend. They had shared many journeys together in a land before time. At once King Krusher knew the illness, for it had first claimed his Queens life on a far of land, DRONAKA must have carried it all this time but only now has it infected him.

The only cure was a mixture of three rare seeds, the Fire Cedar which grows in the lands of rock and stone, the Ice Kauri of Galigantus a cold land of endless frozen fields and the seed of the dead tree of Satora in the forbidden lands.
King Krusher had once led an expedition there to retrieve the seeds for his Queen but the land creatures were carnivorous and violent. At that time DRONAKA was baby dragon given to land by the Great Creator. Somehow he must have contracted the disease. After his Queens death King Krusher abandoned his quest for discovery and travelled to a far of land to forget about his life for it had brought him much sorrow in remembrance.

But his past had now resurfaced and like lighting it hit him what he must do now!
To save the life of his old friend he would have to travel back to the lands long ago. The only way to get to there was by ship and a wind powered ship would take years to travel. Krusher gathered all the knowledgeable sea creatures, inventors and tinkerers to a council to create the greatest, fastest and most powerful ship!

They created a gigantic ship powered by a device that could turn a paddle like shape that could push water backwards and move the ship forward. But to get this to work they needed a giant furnace in order to create pressure in a long hollow tree which forced another long hollow tree to push on a rod which then turned the paddle creating movement on the surface.
It was an ingenious idea that worked but it needed a furnace that would last the journey. Tree could not be used, the share size of them would be too far to heavy and numerous, there was also little coal and oil in the land. The only other source of fire was from the Land Dragons themselves. But that would require a dragon to be connected to the furnace or the dragon would become the furnace in which to power the ship. And so it was decided a dragon should be sent on this great journey.

But there was a problem Land Dragons hated the sea! Well that is all but one. DRAKTOA! For him it was the opportunity of a life time! DRAKTOA convinced his parents that it was a worthy cause and he would unwillingly but courageously give up his studies to save DRONAKA’s life and travel the seas in search for the seeds.

A great leaving ceremony was held in his honour along with King Krusher and his crew. DRAKTOA was connected to the ship with ropes and wood enforcing. In his mouth was placed a rock carved pipe in which to blow fire directly into the turning rock pipes. Other pipes were directed connected into his extremely hot belly. The horns on his back were hollowed out on the tips which fed the excess fire and double up as source of protection. The crew consisted of King Krusher’s son, powerful protection beasts, special trained infantry troops and the ships crew captained by the one eyed Dusscat.

Suddenly a large horn blew and ship was released on to the water. Before he knew it DRAKTOA was in for the ride of his life! Captain Dusscat yelled…

“ MIGHTY DRAKONTAS EXEREVNO UNLEASH YOUR FURY UPON THE WATERS AND LET THE GREAT BLUE SEA YELD TO YOUR BLAST!”

It was funny because at that moment DRAKTOA just thought… ‘Cool! I really am going to fart through my nose!’ And so with a fart blast that would make an ogre proud DRAKTOA was off on an adventure of a life time!

Well Hope you like it so far
It'll be great to hear some comments

Cheers

mosconariz
04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
This is beatiful! :bounce: :bounce: I love it!

ParadiseFlyBird
04-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey creativer... wow man you're concepts sweet man... love the whole idea its really original... cant wait to see what you do next... cheers man..

Virtuoso
04-16-2004, 09:26 AM
My yourstoryline is interesting.....And your concepts are beautiful and wild with imagination and style.....very nice creativer.......Really think alot of your efforts here.I think you have provided yourself with some excellent choices.But you have created a problem for yourself...............Which beautiful concept to go with? A nice problem to have.........Wonderful art.....:thumbsup: :beer:

Lemog
04-16-2004, 09:28 AM
wooch...

I taken time to read all posts, too big and very length, and I do not understand very well the english, infact, I do efforts.

But I find the last history too interesting, astonishing and very innovating.

In short, the dragon needs the boat like the boat with need for the dragon to summarize.

I hope that all the magic and the dream which emerge from your history will be still and always present in the realization in 3d.

And for that, I wish you much courage. Go ahead man ! :thumbsup:

JPCohet
04-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Very good sketch (high quality).
I am waiting for the modeling.

My MachineFlesh (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=135155)

ChristianFischer
04-16-2004, 09:36 AM
indeed ... those sketches look really nice!

can't wait to see it in 3d :)

Peter C.
04-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Very interesting concept and amazing scetches to acompany it. Can't wait to see you upcoming progress!! :thumbsup:

Saschi0815
04-16-2004, 06:09 PM
The only thing I can say about your sketches is:

WOW

Hope for soon updates, mate, great work, keep it up!!! :applause:

Ravendsg
04-17-2004, 05:53 AM
The sketches are beautiful man! And i like your stories hehe very entertaining thread you have here hehe, definitely great refreshments for the mind :buttrock: I've seen your website, and i think theres gonna be great stuffs shown here man! :applause:

creativer
04-18-2004, 02:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1082295275_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1082295275_large.jpg)

Thank you all for your kind words!
Mosconariz
ParadiseFlyBird
Virtuoso
Lemog
JPCohet
Chrischan
Peter C.
Saschi0815
Ravendsg

You guys ROCK as do your concepts!

Here is an update.
1) New concept for Draktoa’s head
2) Going for an Asian architectural theme
3) Trying a more cultural element to break stereotype dragons
4) Working on solid orthographic views before I start modelling
5) Although I use MAYA I’m wanting to get into game design so I might use MAX for this one although I haven’t use it before I’ve got a lot of learning to do.

Thanks again everyone!

flyingP
04-18-2004, 04:01 PM
really nice sketches ---- and a massive background concept.

nice one :thumbsup:

mosconariz
04-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Can't wait to see more!

Cygnus-X
04-20-2004, 12:18 PM
WOW impressive sketch :buttrock: Really creative. You're on the good way the creat a great piece of art:thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Totally impressive sketches! And such style too! Definitely look forward to see this turn into 3D... aye

Ionized
04-21-2004, 01:03 AM
My god, your such a fine concept artist creativer! I'm sure someone with your talent should have no problem breaking into the games industry. Your in Sydney too... have you spoken to team bondi? They are ramping up for something big and are Maya based.

Anyway, shoptalk aside... I really love your ideas. So cool that you've got a shory behind it all too. Looking forward to seeing Draktoa take shape on his steam boat.

Good luck =)

Kenter
04-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Yes Killer concept work.Really superb and deep.Cool,cool,cool.:buttrock: :thumbsup:

creativer
04-21-2004, 02:38 AM
Thanks for your comments dudes:
flyingP, mosconariz, Cygnus_X, JamesMK, Ionized, Kenter.
1) I'm currently working on the body of the ship
Trying to get the shape right so its comfortable for the dragon
2) Thinking of practicle ways a dragon could be lifted on and of the ship...
At the moment inflatable hot air balloons attached to a brace could lift the dragon on and off the ship. Land dragons don't fly so Draktoa would have some fun in the air.

Ionized: Thanks for that! My current contract finishes next week so I'm lining another. Just looked up Team Bondi and they sound cool. I'm very interested in PS3 gaming capabilities. If you know any contacts at Team Bondi that would be great! Cheers and thanks for the comments.

adr
04-22-2004, 08:36 AM
we want updates , your concepts are excelent , the dragon sketch rocks man.

Thanks for visit my thread , ill be here following your progress

deepforest
04-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Wow, very creative sketch!:thumbsup:
Looking forward what will be next!

janhath
04-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Beautiful concept designs.I hope to see the 3D match it .Extremely nice details,and detailed designs that are very rich in depth.:buttrock: :)

Rakanishu1024
04-23-2004, 09:00 AM
wow. You have a really, really, really cool style. I can't wait to see your 3d work:thumbsup:

Virtuoso
04-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Just wanted to stop by again and say i think your concepts are wonderful,such rich design and great appeal,beautiful lines and shapes................I think you will do fine in Max,for me it has always beeen Max,but i have been going towards maya more and more............In the end they are both great tools in there own right.And at last it will be your talent and style that will be all that matters,along with effort and passion......................I look forward to seeing your 3D work.And if you have a question or two i would love to help,just ask...........see you soon with an update I hope............:beer: :buttrock:

Antropus
04-26-2004, 04:18 AM
Impressive concepts here!!!!! Come on man! Please, do it in 3d!!! :buttrock:

viag
04-26-2004, 10:09 AM
lot of nice concepts here ! nice drawing

Deadlyforce
04-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Very nice drawings !!

I love the parchment aspect :thumbsup:

mosconariz
04-26-2004, 10:51 PM
3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!

creativer
04-27-2004, 02:26 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1083029200_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1083029200_large.jpg)

Hello all! thank you so much for your interest!

Update:
1) Final design of the ship/engine mount and dragon position.
2) Happy with the city style. Which includes: Castles, Waterfalls, Gardens, towers and defense cannons (Trust me there are plenty of things that may need a good blast! He he...
3) Modelling and Texture can now proceed concurrently.
4) Design of Captian Dusscut and King Krusher on the way. But won't be in the final render... well its just that I can't keep my mind on one thing at a time, Captian Dusscut needed a face.
5) Thinking of turning this all into a pitch for a new video game/cg-film kinda like the ROTR/FF-X2 games(dreams are free hay :-)

adr: Thanks for your comments and for following my thread, more updates are definately coming.

Deepforest: thanks

janhath: thanks, more detail too come yet and yeah i hope i can match it in 3D too :-)

Rakanishu1024: thanks dude, like wise my wife is also banging on my door wanting to see it in 3D.... he he

Virtuoso: thanks so much dude! thank for offering the help in Max! Due to the tight time frame I may have to go with Maya just for speed but most likely will do the characters in Max for sure. Cheers!

Antropus: dude your work rocks! 3D starts tomorrow I promise :-)But man looking at your work makes me feel so far behind like I'm way outa my league.

viag: thanks dude. I like your cat picture too!

Deadly Force: thatks dude, yeah I might keep that parchment thing all they way through. cheers.

mosconariz: ha! thanks dude 3D is coming very very .... very he he

thanks to all of you!!!!
All the best with your concepts too!

harnelbe
04-27-2004, 02:33 AM
:bounce: :applause: :bounce:
Beaufifulll concept !!
Amazing !
I stay tuned to updates :D

creativer
04-27-2004, 02:34 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1083029678_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1083029678_large.jpg)

Introducting CAPTAIN DUSSCUT of the GALLEON 'DRAKONTAS EXERVNO'.
Its a work in progress, sorry I know I should be working on the main Galleon but I just couldn't resist doing a character, promise I'm doing the 3D version now.

By the way I named him after on of my favourite artist 'Dusso'. Maybe I'll do another character and call him Fang Zhu... he he

Cheers

adr
04-27-2004, 02:38 AM
Very nice , Dusscut looks great, a lot of personality. nice colors and good proportions. About the ship, looks simply awesome , i like it a lot man , can wait to follow the process in 3d bud .

Keep the good work :thumbsup:

dunkel
04-27-2004, 04:11 AM
impressive sketchs!!!

The ship is simply beautiful, full of a majestic and ancient charm.

Obviously I will be kept subscribed to this thread.

cya!

janhath
04-27-2004, 04:24 AM
Beautiful once again.It is too bad the captain will not be in for the final entry piece.But I quess can be added afterwards.I seem to misunderstand I think???Will the Dragon be the flesh part???I think also to have this done with any closeup details you will need 6 months more???Sp perhaps just some details and not too close???
Anywys very nice concept work and interesting to see you progress.:thumbsup: :beer:

creativer
04-27-2004, 04:51 AM
adr: thanks dude, 3D is coming.

dunkel: thanks for the comments dude, glad you like it.

janhath: thanks also, your right it will take 6 months to do all the detail I wait so I'm thinking I'll put most of the modelling in the texture and use bump maps to bring out the detail.

And yes the Dragon is definately the flesh part. The Dragon was fused permantly with the steam engine, his horns were hollowed out and belly used as a furnace. The most important part of this image ill be the connection with the transfer of fire power to steam power. But I also want it to be a very simple but vital mechanism. I'm going towards a very basic but stylistic machineflesh union.
Nothing gory, scary, violent or demented was the direction i gave myself. Which cut out 90% of my first thoughts. Yeah I wish I had enough time to add Dusscut and Kusher but they'll definately make an appearance soon after.

Cheers!

janhath
04-27-2004, 04:55 AM
OH I see.Very well,I will keep an eye out for your update work.Beautiful,and even beyond the challenge I hope to see this get finished.Really nice once again I must say,good luck to you.:buttrock: :beer:

creativer
05-04-2004, 03:22 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1083637349_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1083637349_large.jpg)

Oh boy I'm really behind,
Here is the fron and side view of the ship. I'm currently doing a self taught crash course in Max 5 instead of Maya to which I much say Max definately has some great features!!

Textures are coming just got to get up to speed on modelling in Max.

Cheers

JamesMK
05-04-2004, 08:41 AM
Whoa... been a while since I peeked in here the last time.... I must say that your concepts are without a doubt in a league of their own.... If you actually do find the time to realize all of this in 3D.... well, then you will have an outstanding piece of cosmic proportion.... Crikey! Best of luck in your modeling efforts :thumbsup:

Lemog
05-04-2004, 08:58 AM
A prayer now so that you find time necessary to the realization in 3d of your project... :D

Shouit
05-04-2004, 10:07 AM
there is me thinking i am a great artist :surprised on this planet full of incompetent losers. and than someone like you comes along...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

your concepts are absolutely breathtaking. i really hope, you will be able to finish what you started. i will keep looking for updates. keep it going!

Virtuoso
05-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Richard...................keep it coming.................any questions just ask,I would be glad to help if possible.............You know I think of your concepts with high regard................:buttrock:

get what you can done,and if need be this is something that I think you should continue to pursue even after the challenge,continue to expand what you have now planned........Looking forward to your progress..............:thumbsup: :beer:

Saschi0815
05-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi Richard, just come to nerve u with an update.....;) :beer:

Update!Update!!!:drool: :bounce:

creativer
06-11-2004, 06:53 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1086933182_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1086933182_large.jpg)

Front View: WIP modelling, still got to model the city, legs and the machine.

creativer
06-11-2004, 07:42 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1086936158_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/2255/2255_1086936158_large.jpg)

Hey dudes this maybe my last post. I'm so flat out at the moment. But I promise I'll finish it after the competition and continue with more characters and other crazy ideas to add to the story...
Cheers all and thanks for all your encouragement.
Drop me your email if you want me to keep you updated?

Chow

Peter Reynolds
06-23-2004, 05:56 AM
We'll hold you to that Rich.

Your concept work just gets better and better.

gjpetch
06-24-2004, 02:36 AM
Only just noticed your entry in the challenge. Really awsome concept, and a shame you didn't get through the 3D.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.