PDA

View Full Version : Curve conform??????????

UofM_Guy
03-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Say I want a ribbon to follow a motion path and to be deformed as it goes. What is the best solution?? animated extrusion? could I use a spline deformer then have those nulls follow the path? There is also a curve conform plugin in the displacement panel. I am testing it out now. would that work?? I have a deadline to meet for Ford so any help would help me sleep tonight.

UofM_Guy
03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
duh.. sorry for the brain fart. serpent should do the trick

Facial Deluxe
03-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Go there http://www.shift.gr.jp/html/staff/plugin.html
and grab Shif Spline Stransform, it is the best way.
And forget about "Serpent".

angel
03-18-2004, 07:07 PM
somebody recently posted some growing vines test scene files over at the newtek forums, head over there and search away. They looked nice!

NanoGator
03-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Another trick would be to use a simple morp object and a chain of bones.

1.) Take your ribbon and make an endo morph of it. Move it in the direction it's intended to travel for the length it's intended to travel.

2.) In Layout, make a chain of bones for the ribbon indicating the path it travels.

3.) In a frame other than 0, straighten out all the bones. Then rest them to the ribbon. Then delete this new keyframe so they return back to the curvey position.

4.) Use MorphMixer to slide from the beginning to end. As the ribbon moves through the bones, it'll deform to follow them.

I should note that I may have missed a step or two. It's something I have done before, but it was ages ago. It's kinda neat watching the object move through the bones via morph, though. The bone displacement happens after the morph as opposed to before it. (Note: You may have to set it to that.. the last time I did this was pre-subdivision order...)

UofM_Guy
03-18-2004, 10:31 PM
thank you guys! I should be able to figure it out from there. I will post the full animation next week for you all to see. thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.