PDA

View Full Version : hey cool

Mike RB
07-06-2002, 03:49 PM
wow, i never noticed this section. This is most of what I do at work. :) LW and maya.

cool.

Mike

TheDevil[DK]
07-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Wow...cool...then please tell the tips u use at work...

Thouse i know:
- The new smart trick with the "stretch bone" as a muscle...postet some where else
- The "double forarm bone" trick...
- and a stupid one: mix two sceletons so you can shift between ik/fk with a switch.

is there more...what do you know?

----
hmmm... old tricks:
- bind the teeth to the jawbone

Mike RB
07-11-2002, 02:01 AM
for maya or lw?

TheDevil[DK]
07-11-2002, 02:05 AM
Realy doesn't matters... most stuff can be done equal in Maya, lightwave, Max, XSI ...with workaraounds and scripts. So just post the trikcs and lets get this thread started and see where it ends :airguitar :thumbsup: :beer:

KOryH
07-11-2002, 06:30 AM
Yes Please!
I am still trying to get a good solid rig that I can use in LW.
You know, the one you can use to sart every character with and then modify!

LFShade
07-12-2002, 12:53 AM
In Max I did leg rig where the foot will never penetrate the "floor". The floor height can be defined using any object for easy visualization (such as a plane), and it can also be animated. No scripts, just expressions and custom attributes. Some packages have this built-in, but Max doesn't, so if any Max'ers are interested I'd be happy to post an example. Any takers?

Chris
07-12-2002, 01:27 AM
That'd be cool LFShade, I'd like to see it. I generally use a link constraint on my foot controller that I switch between the ground object & my 'com' helper object as needed.

LFShade
07-12-2002, 06:39 AM
I've made a simplified example to show here. A lot more can be done to customize and embellish this rig, but it's stripped down to just show the technique I use to constrain to the floor. Basically this consists of an expression controller with three variables:

1. The Z-position of the floor object (which can be any single object).
2. The Z-position of a handle object to which the IK target is linked.
3. An offset distance from the handle's initial Z-position to the
ankle joint's initial Z-position (since this is where the IK target is
located. If your setup were to have the IK target at the same
Z position as the handle it would not be necessary to include
this variable).

The expression then looks something like:

if((handle>floor),(handle+offset),(floor+offset))

or in plain english, if the handle is above the floor, position the IK target according to an offset from the handle. Otherwise, position the IK target according to an offset from the floor.

I added expressions so that the IK target will follow the handle in X and Y as well. I also added a custom attribute to the handle for ease in setting the floor height, although one could just as easily grab and move it to the desired height.

This setup has served me well. However if anyone has problems with it, or ideas to improve upon it, I'd be happy to hear the feedback:buttrock:

bentllama
07-12-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by TheDevil[DK]

- The "double forarm bone" trick...
-

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12500

Mike RB
07-12-2002, 02:44 PM
everyone knows the standard reverse foot right? using nulls or groups for extra pivots?

TheDevil[DK]
07-12-2002, 02:46 PM
no? please explain.... :bounce:

Mike RB
07-12-2002, 03:27 PM
build a basic hip to ankle ik chain, then take the goal for that chain and parent it to a null/locator that is located at the ball of the foot, when you rotate that null the ik goal gets pivoted around the ball and the ball stays on the floor.

Once that is working parent the ball null to another null that is placed at the heel, now you have a pivot that rotates the foot from the heel...... there are ways to keep the toes level and the foot oriented while doing this as well...

Mike

KOryH
07-12-2002, 05:31 PM
More please!
I love hearing how people make things work.

Hey mike do have a trick for keeping the feet really "stuck" on the ground? I find that some times when I am animationg the feet kind of wriggle a bit when I am moving the hips and stuff. Is it a goal strenth issue, rotation limmit thing or could it be an IK in the ankle deal. I have messed with them all.
Any suggestions would be great.

And how about the Reverse hip set up.
Care to explain!

PS I use LW

TheDevil[DK]
07-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Here it is :bounce:

http://www.3d-designer.dk/temp/feetonground.jpg

hope it's usefull :applause: :love:

KOryH
07-12-2002, 08:49 PM
AHHH the ol' flaten the curves when the foot is on the ground trick. Would it be helpfull to animate with liner or flat curves, then convert only the ones that are needed?

TheDevil[DK]
07-12-2002, 08:53 PM
flat/linier motion will look very unatual :buttrock: so just use it the way i did...

in 3dsmax... (I don't know if it's the same in lightwave) use Euler XYZ for rotation controller

Mike RB
07-14-2002, 06:26 PM
http://www3.telus.net/paratrooper/demin.gif
I had some free time and rigged up my demon from the cgchallenge. I still need to set up the softbodies and the hands, but otherwise hes done.

Mike

dantea
07-15-2002, 04:53 AM
Does everyone also use an up-vector (aka pole vector) constraint on their foot bones so that they always point forwards regardless how the foot slides around on the ground?

dante

bentllama
07-15-2002, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by dantea
Does everyone also use an up-vector (aka pole vector) constraint on their foot bones so that they always point forwards regardless how the foot slides around on the ground?

dante

NO.

A PVC on a foot seems very superfluous...your foot should be allowed to roll in any direction... your toe joint on the other hand should only be animatable in 2 axis'...

however...

...you could use a PVC to control the roll on the foot...

rigging is like religion...it just comes down to personal preference...

Mike RB
07-15-2002, 07:49 AM
why would you want your feet to always point forward?

bentllama
07-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Mike RB

damn those magic "point-forward" boots! :D

Yiorgz
07-15-2002, 03:11 PM
If you want to see one mean rig, check out http://www.pazur.3d.pl

It's LightWave, but the ideas could apply to some other 3D software. Follow the link for the Auto Character Setup 3 - Bolo Rig (the chubby green man).

Lukasz Pazera has got a movie you can download which demonstrates his full rig (must be a version 4 or 5 for his AutoCharacter rig maybe).

He makes extensive use of hidden sliders too for doing things like opening and closing fingers on a hand, switching between IK and FK and a whole lot of other cool stuff.

He doesn't show exactly how he's done what he does on the video but you get some neat ideas. He can't do ALL the work for us now can he.. :-)

There's a link to download his AC3 Bolo Rig. Between the starter Rig and your LW 70/7.5 manuals, you might be able to recreate the full rig he's got in his movie, or at least make your own kickass setup.

It is one of the best LW rigs that I have seen so far. I was examining the scene file and my eyes lit up so much I could see their glowing reflection in my monitor.

edit :D
-----------
Found this trail of discussion about Auto Character Setup 3

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/17310.html?1020463197

Enjoy.

dantea
07-15-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Mike RB

Sorry, I had meant the "top" of the foot bones. Not the tip like an IK constraint. I can't describe it very well. Imagine your foot sliding along the ground, you want the top of your foot to remain point towards the sky as you slide and not rotate back & forth around the axis along the length of the foot.

Dr Dardis
08-09-2002, 07:15 AM
Just looking at your demon rig mike, awsome stuff!

One thing in particular I am really curious about is the "polevector" that you have emulated in LW. I have been trying something like that to get the functionality of always pointing elbows and knees at a target (for IK limbs), but I am not satified with my results. My solution is messy, and uses motion baker to get the desired effect, so over a long chunk of animation there can be thousands of keys on the baking nulls (i hate untidiness :) ). I really want to find out if there is an easier way. At work I use Max, and that is just one of the options of IK setup, (and enjoy the feature alot).

thanks for any clues man!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.