PDA

View Full Version : Beast of Burden - Character - Gamoron

Gamoron
07-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Well, I'm gonna give it another go and try something new this time. I've done some sketches and I have to admit this challenge kinda pees me off. I can't really come up with any great ideas. Everytime I try something fantastic I start throwing questions could this thing actually live? So I've ended up with this Rhino guy. This is early though and I think I'll work it some more before I say I'll go with the concept to the finish. It's not such a bad idea either that I'm doing this though it does bring attention to its plight. Check the link out if you want to see what I mean.

www.rhinos-irf.org/rhinos/

Arco
07-06-2002, 04:03 PM
now that has REAL goodness goin down. I can't wait to see teh final product. very nice rhino indeed... i also lovet he way the guy is looking off to theh orizon, rocking:buttrock:

Arco

Gamoron
07-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Thanks Arco. I'm not sure If I'll keep the guy in or not. Depends on the rules and what a beast of burden is. As for the guys pose I think I sort of unintentionally took it from Wiro's postapoc snowdude. I sketched him out and there was vaguely that pose and I just refined it. oh well.
Thanks dude!:thumbsup:

Arco
07-06-2002, 05:45 PM
naw dude you gotta keep the guy he looks cool! I love it I really do... post some updates!

Arco

puddlefish
07-06-2002, 06:23 PM
That's a nice drawing, the rhino face is rendered very well. The only comment I have at this point is that his feet should look more like they have all that weight on them.

Gamoron
07-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks puddlefish, there was something about it that was bugging me in his stance. I thought I had to pose it... but that's it, the weight! Thanks:thumbsup:

I'll update hopefully soon, I'm doing a 3d entry too. Really brown nosing it this month. i need all the practise I can get.

I'm gonna keep the guy Arco thanks.:D

Cheers

OZ
07-07-2002, 11:20 PM
KEEP IT UP!looks great!

Gamoron
07-09-2002, 10:31 PM
Now some blocked in colour. I still don't know what I'll make it haul or carry.

Stygian
07-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Love the Rhino Gamorran I spend alot of time at our local zoo sketching them . They'll usually cooperate :) the weight looks much better

Gamoron
07-10-2002, 01:35 AM
Thanks Stygian. I've shrunk the rider down since to make the rhino more prehistoric looking. A real brute now. hopefully I can paint him well.

Sleepless
07-11-2002, 10:14 PM
Lookin good! He looks like a scout for an army or hunter searching for the enemy, or maybe he's pulling an injured comrade or wounded rhino....remember those makeshift stretcher sleds used in western movies? I dunno, just thoughts.

Glad you turned the rhino head, eye contact with the viewer is a good visual trick to bring in you into the piece. (it's a fave of mine.)

puddlefish
07-11-2002, 10:26 PM
I think the rhino looks much better, but I wouldn't pull so far back from him when you put him in the environment. It undermines his size slightly. I think a closer, almost claustrophobic framing of him would really help create a convincing sense of power and size.

Also, don't forget his burden can go on his back as well, maybe a huge mound of packs and junk, or maybe some sort of military or scanning equipment? As well as that, the creature doesn't necessarily have to be straining under his burden, I think if he carried a large weight without noticable strain it would lend more to his presence.

Hope this helps!

Gamoron
07-12-2002, 02:11 PM
@Sleepless - Thanks, I like the suggestion for pulling an injured comrade. At the moment I look at him as a scout, throwing an injured one maybe on his back would add some drama. Cheers!

@puddlefish - Zoom in huh. I've considered it, but I'm not sure. I think I'll continue with the way it is for now and try cropping later and if it changes the mood, I'll alter the drawing accordingly. Thanks! I do want him to be seen as hulking...

Gamoron
07-15-2002, 09:06 PM
Still have to add whatever he's hauling.

Stygian
07-16-2002, 06:39 PM
nice :thumbsup:

Gamoron
07-16-2002, 08:26 PM
Thank you kindly Stygian. I hope I can paint this the way I want.

jeroentje
07-16-2002, 09:11 PM
He this is a nice one! Like it a lot!
jeroentje
(maybe put something in the grass, like he's looking the wrong way ;) )

Gamoron
07-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks jeroentje! Well it's not the most creative but I hope to make it look good.:thumbsup:

VShane
07-17-2002, 05:41 AM
Looks cool. May I add one crit though? Reduce the size of that grass! It makes him look he and the rhino are tiny, I almost expect to see an ant :hmm: next to them. Nice color comp BTW.:thumbsup:

Gamoron
07-17-2002, 01:28 PM
That's an excellent crit Wacom_Knight! Thanks I'll change it pronto.

Cheers,:thumbsup:

Jacob
07-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Good job Gamoron! I love that you stuck to a real animal. Sometimes it is much harder to capture correctly than fantasy ones. The knowledge of muscles structure has to be there....

...it's grrrrrrrreat!

Gamoron
07-17-2002, 02:53 PM
I still don't know what I'll have him hauling. That's a crappy image I got up there, bad resolution.
Sorry.

Gamoron
07-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Gotta do something to that horn it looks a little too much like male... uh... GENITALIA!:eek:

Stygian
07-17-2002, 06:32 PM
I love your Rhino but I agree with you on the horn LOL :scream:

Gamoron
07-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Pretty bad eh Stygian. I've fix it though. No way is that horn gonna look like a dick!:wip:

TedTerranova
07-17-2002, 08:40 PM
I really like your original concept. But the latest image looks very fuzzy and soft. I guess you did the background in a separate layer and blurred it, but the foreground elements also seem to have this blur to them. Maybe you could draw it at a higher resolution to avoid this problem. The lighting and color choices look very nice.

Gamoron
07-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Thanks Novocaine. I'm noticing the same thing and I'm working on it. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've been trying to get a camera effect by blurring layers. Part of the problem though is the bad job I did in Image Ready. Here's a detail. this time that's it for today!

Gamoron
07-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Here's an update nearing the end. I just bought a tablet, and I can already see that it's gonna change the way things happen and my style. Want to start something new. I was going to do more then the bags but oh well. Their sketched out right now I'll finish soon.

jeroentje
07-25-2002, 06:08 PM
He Gamoron, this is getting pretty cool. I love the lighting that comes from the back.

One thing though. That mountain that stands behind the rino... it takes all the depth out of the piece cause it eats up all the shape of your bob. Maybe try to move the mountain to the left, like halve the wideness of the mountain.

Keep up the good work,
jeroentje
(Still very curious what will be in the gras ;) )

Gamoron
07-25-2002, 06:12 PM
Thanks jeroentje I'll move it pronto. In the grass eh? i don't now if I want to start in that. I guess you're imagining a chick? Not a particular reason for thinking that though... heh heh.

jeroentje
07-25-2002, 06:19 PM
I'm expecting something hiding behind that rock. Would make perfect sense to me ;)

jeroentje
07-25-2002, 06:26 PM
Oh and one other thing. I have decided to dedicate my painting to ugly chicks now, they're more difficult to draw and I feel I'm repeating myself. Even if it means no replies in my threads.
Kirt's forumfun was the last.
Cheers, jeroentje :beer:
(btw, don't know if I'll ever finish my BoB. No work done still...)

Gamoron
07-25-2002, 11:20 PM
As I said in your thread stick with the hot chicks. Well actually maybe goofy lookin' chicks with really hot bodies would be fun.
uuuuummmm............ goofy chicks and hot bodies.

btw which rock?

timovihola
07-25-2002, 11:42 PM
I love the original drawing and the composition, but there are some things I don't like about the lighting.. I made a fast overpaint to show you what I mean, hope you don't mind: (I added a cast shadow of the beast and few other shadows and decreased the contrast and saturation in shadows, increased the brightness on the background, added reflected blue light from the sky, made the background mountains slightly darked than the sky (they're always darker in reality))

http://www.mbnet.fi/~badgers/beast_overpaint.jpg

Definitely looking forward to see the final image!

Gamoron
07-26-2002, 04:13 PM
That's incredibly beautiful Timo. Breathtaking. Thank you very much for doing this. It's fantastic crit! While I'd not like to imitate what you've done, I'd have a hard time anyway, I'm going to use it as a guide. I've got to say it again, just beautiful.
CHEERS!!:beer: :thumbsup: And thank you. I should let you post it.

edit: i can't get over that image, I keep saying Wow.

Gamoron
07-26-2002, 08:19 PM
Well here's my update. Some pretty major changes. Got my new Wacom involved and I didn't think I would. I think I'm nearing the end, what do you guys think?

edit: maybe I need to screw around with saturation.

jeroentje
07-26-2002, 08:37 PM
He, that's some good improvement. Composition's better aswell.

Maybe make the purple cloth red or orange, but a shaded version of that color. I see no purple anywhere else in the piece. Keep detailing some more and you'll have a great piece :thumbsup:
jeroentje :beer:
(Now tell me; what's in the grass???!)

Gamoron
07-27-2002, 10:55 PM
what's in the grass? do you mean what's he looking at? Or do you think I should put something in the grass? you're playing jedi mind tricks with me aren't you?

edit: oh hell. This guy is a member of a border patrol. There is an army of the Sun Empire marching on his position, he is a citizen of a small country not yet conquered.

jeroentje
07-30-2002, 09:53 AM
No, what I meant was this:
If the guy stares at the things to the left, it would be a very interesting story in this piece, if there was someone, or something hiding in the right part of the piece (in the grass, behind the rock). As if he was looking in the wrong direction...

Gamoron
07-30-2002, 11:11 PM
That's what i originally thought you said. I do have an idea for that...

Nice avatar by the way.:thumbsup:

jeroentje
07-31-2002, 09:14 AM
I'm very curious ;)
jeroentje
(btw, I am playing Jedi mindtricks on you. You just don't know it yet, hehe)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.